"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives
Old 01-21-2004, 06:38 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
Knives...so many to choose from...which do I buy?

I have a set of mediocre knives in my kitchen. They are okay but I do a lot of cooking and would like to find a good all purpose very sharp knife that I can use for everything, but mostly chopping veggies. I have no idea where to start though. I go to the store and there are so many to choose from! Does anyone know of a good company? The name of a good knife? I guess I'm not looking to spend too much on it...$40 max.

Thanks for any advice! :)

marcellarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 07:57 PM   #2
Senior Cook
Are you looking for one knife or a set? The key to buying knives is to first and foremost find a knife that is comfortable in your hand. Beyond that, briefly, forged are best but good stamped knives can be the better buy. There are literally THOUSANDS of brands out there but remember that most of them come from a handful of factoories overseas. If a knife feels good, fits your budget and is made to yur satisfaction...get it!

"The odds of my being correct on any given issue are inversely proportionate to the proximity of my wife" BubbaGourmet
BubbaGourmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 11:40 AM   #3
Assistant Cook
thank you for your response. i guess i just need spend some time to do some more looking around. thanks again! :)
marcellarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 07:28 AM   #4
Assistant Cook
If buying knives try not to set too low a budget, some knives can cost upwards of 75 ($130). I bought a set recently that cost 130 ($230). They are well weighted and nice and sharp, plus they have their own drawer which has nothing else in to damage the blades.
GaryRhodesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 03:15 PM   #5
Chief Eating Officer
BubbaGourmet's advice about getting a knife that is comfortable is right on! You need to try out (at least hold in your hand) any knife that you are considering. It is just like buying a pair of shoes. You can spend $200 on a pair of shoes, but if they don't fit right then you will never wear them. Knives are the exact same way. You do not have to spend a fortune either to get a good knife. A lot of Chefs recommend Chicago Cutlery. They are very inexpensive. I bet you could easily find a good knife in your price range (maybe even two). Victoranox (sp?) which is the company that makes Swiss Army knives also have a like of kitchen knives that are inexpensive and supposed to be very good.

I personally have Wustoff Grand Prix's and I love them, but they are very expensive. The Chefs knife alone was over $100. They were a wedding gift so it didn't come out of my pocket, but I am very glad I have them.

Once you do get a knife you will also want to buy a honing steel at the same time. This is not the same as a sharpener. A honing steel should be used every time you use your knife to keep it in good condition.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 10:56 AM   #6
Assistant Cook
Not sure if you are looking for a single blade or a set, but If you only have 40.00 to spend, I would consider purchasing a single blade.

You will be better off in the long run if you want a top quality set of knives to buy them a piece at a time instead of an inexpensive set. High quality knives are a lifetime investment if properly sharpened and maintained.

If you on the other hand are a real busy person, for whom replacement is a better option than replacement, just get a set of stamped knives from a well know manufacturer. There are often 3 piece starter sets in your price range.
vantage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 01:49 PM   #7
Executive Chef
Check these out. If you can not spend the money for a whole set...purchase them one at a time so you can use top quality blades. I have J.A.Henkles International Knives. I am happy with them and this is what my Chef buddy uses. I am very happy with my Henckel Knives.

You are not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
Bangbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 04:08 PM   #8
Senior Cook
This merchant has some advice that matches much of what you see here but goes a bit farther. I wouldn't consider a "SET" because as you've been told they must fit YOU and even within the same brand thats unlikely.

http://<a href="http://www.knifemerc...chant.com/</a>
May you eat well,
Robt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 09:57 PM   #9
Senior Cook
I like Dexter/ Russell. They are high in carbon, keep a good edge and don't cost an arm and a leg. I just ordered an 8" chefs knife. here is just one site. This one has the best prices. I suggest you try one of the smaller knives first. My sister gave me a paring knife. That's what convinced me to order the chefs knife. The paring knife and the chef's knife are the ones I use the most.
bev kile
bege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 11:23 PM   #10
With only $40 to spend, I would live on E-bay if I were you.

A couple of days ago, I was lucky enough to be the high bidder on a great set of carbon steel vintage Sabatier knives for only $55!

choclatechef is offline   Reply With Quote