Konosuke HD VS Takeda Gyuto AS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am clueless, but somebody knowledgeable should be by shortly!

Sushi knives generally have a flat blade on one side and beveled on the other. That allows the sliced food to fall away from the blade.

I think both of those knives have a 50/50 bevel, so they wouldn't be appropriate for cutting sushi.

Very nice blades though.

Hi,
Im debating between these two knives (270mm to be specific), I would be happy to hear some input from you knife nuts out there.
Here are links to both:
Takeda Gyuto AS 270mm
Konosuke HD 270mm Gyuto w/ Ebony Handle
Feel free to offer alternatives in the same price/quality range.
Thanks,
Nathan

Those are two very different beasts! First off the Takeda is a Kurouchi finished knife with a core of Aogami Super (Blue Paper steel, a non-stainless high carbon) while the Konosuke is an unclad, solid knife made of a semi-stainless tool steel. About the only thing they have in common are their Wa-type handles. The Takeda is a bit taller. The Konosuke is convexed and displays very little stiction; while slicing stuff that likes to stick, like potatoes, the peices fall right off the blade.

Bear in mind that the Takeda can rust (both the cutting core and the cladding). The HD technically isn't stainless either but in practice it won't stain or rust easily. Of the two, the HD is the thinnest. It's reasonable to say that a good sharpener can probably get the Takeda a smidge sharper than the HD will get as Aogami is finer grained that most SS/semi-SS steels. Edge retention is also great with Aogami with one caveat- it will rapidly dull when cutting acidic stuff like tomatoes and lemons.

Both are very nice knives. And you can't find a better vendor than CKtG. Mark also has his own line of knives called (appropriately) "Richmond Knives". His Addict 2 is one you might want to look at. Also, Mark of CKtG is having Konosuke some new HDs exclusively for him as well.

Actually, while I don't have a timetable yet Mark is planning to bring out a new version of the Addict 2 in K390 steel. If he builds it, IT WILL BE MINE!:w00t2: The concencus is that K390 is superior to ZDP-189! :sorcerer: And IIRC the price will still be around $200.

There are at least a dozen superb knives I'd highly recommend in the price range you're looking at. Before I can offer any meaningful suggestions, though, can you tell me what you're looking for? What kind of cooking do you do? How important is corrosion resistance to you? How will you sharpen it? Do you value edge retention more or maximum sharpness? How important is it to you that it be sharp OOtB? Do you especially want a Wa handle? Etc.

BTW, welcome to DC!:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom