"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 07-16-2008, 05:05 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Left Handed Knives

So ive been reading that some knives are ambidextrous (sp?) while others are ground specifically for handedness. Apart from being able to name the parts of my knives Im not really versed in all the technical stuff. Anyone have a good resource I can read up on all that stuff (free and online preferably).

Old 07-16-2008, 05:16 PM   #2
Head Chef

I think you are talking about Japanese kinves. Some of them are ground like chisels, and therefore not ambidexterous. Leftys generally pay a premium to have them reground. There are a few very knowledgeable knife hobbyists in the forum, check out the knife threads. Free, online, and will answer your questions

Old 07-16-2008, 05:17 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Your user name suggests that maybe you should stay away from the blade
Old 07-16-2008, 07:57 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I have heard this about Japanese clevers.
But being a very left-handed (right hand for strength only) person in a right handed world, I've not heard of
any other than those. But I've managed for 32 years.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:30 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

All Japanese knives are ground asymmetrical thus making them either right or left handed. Most Japanese knives are right handed and lefties pay a premium (30-50%) for a lefty version.

Some Euro/American knives can be found in right or left hand configurations but this is very rare, mostly task specific chisel ground knives and these aren't kitchen knives.

Dave
Old 07-16-2008, 09:35 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingshirt View Post
Your user name suggests that maybe you should stay away from the blade
The scar on my thumb where I almost took it off the hand suggests that too but I never learn my lesson! Been playing with knives and fire my whole life despite cuts and burns to prove it.

About lefty knives I know Shun offers a full line....I actually saw some reasonably prices ones the other day. Cant remember the site.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:52 PM   #7
Sous Chef

never heard of that but i'll ask my sister
Old 07-16-2008, 10:53 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_R_Sharpening View Post
All Japanese knives are ground asymmetrical thus making them either right or left handed. Most Japanese knives are right handed and lefties pay a premium (30-50%) for a lefty version.

Some Euro/American knives can be found in right or left hand configurations but this is very rare, mostly task specific chisel ground knives and these aren't kitchen knives.

Dave
Now I am confused, I am looking at my knives (Kantesune) and can detect no difference right or left. I am left handed. Seem to work fine. Am I missing something?
Old 07-17-2008, 07:34 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
Now I am confused, I am looking at my knives (Kantesune) and can detect no difference right or left. I am left handed. Seem to work fine. Am I missing something?

Japanese knives are ground (both at the edge bevels and entire blade) in asymmetric ratios of either 60/40, 70/30, 80/20, 90/10, or 100/0 which is unlike the 50/50 symmetric grinds of Euro/American knives. If a Japanese knife is real thin, and ground almost even (like 60/40), then it is hard to detect a distinction between right and left hand knives in use. This is likely the case with your Kanetsune. Problems often begin to show up in the form of knife twist (rotation of the knife during the cut) as a byproduct of sharpening. Meaning that if the knife isn't sharpened correctly overtime it will thicken at the edge and/or the ratio will change making the knife much more right handed. This is a very common occurrence which often needs correction. Be aware though that even if your knife was left handed (which it isn't unless you specifically purchased it marked as a lefty) this same thing could happen making the knife more right handed and/or twisting during the cut. It's a tough thing to explain but it does exist non-the-less.

Dave
Old 07-17-2008, 12:50 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I forgot about serrated knives. The serrations would be on the right side, instead of left.
Bigjim, just google "left-handed knives. You'll see a list of suppliers and descriptions.