"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-24-2015, 11:09 AM   #11
Head Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,045
I can't imagine any reason for having that many knives. I don't collect, I just use them, and I have what I need for kitchen use in a single knife block.

I have a couple of nice carving sets, one that was my Dad's, that only come out on special occasions when we have a big dinner. Otherwise, my 3 Wusthof knives (a 10" and a 6" chef, and 5" boning knife) do 99% of what I need to do in the kitchen.

I also have a 2" and a 3" CC paring knife that occasionally get some use when I don't already have one of the big knives out. Most of the time I just use what ever knife I am already using if a little job is necessary.
__________________

__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:46 PM   #12
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 8,394
I love knives, I do have few my self, will have to take picture latter. A lot of times even slightest difference in knife shape makes all the difference when it comes to cutting/using. So I totally get it. I do not have as many filleting knives. S&P, do you hunt/fish?
__________________

__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:15 PM   #13
Head Chef
 
salt and pepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montana
Posts: 2,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I love knives, I do have few my self, will have to take picture latter. A lot of times even slightest difference in knife shape makes all the difference when it comes to cutting/using. So I totally get it. I do not have as many filleting knives. S&P, do you hunt/fish?
Charlie, I live in Montana. I came out from NY & NJ to hunt & fish.I have hunted since I was old enough. I have hunted, deer, antelope, mountain lions, Mountain goats, buffalo & bear. I have been successful in all of the above. Fishing is also my passion, love trout, salmon & walleye fishing.
__________________
salt and pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 04:09 PM   #14
Head Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
Charlie, I live in Montana. I came out from NY & NJ to hunt & fish.I have hunted since I was old enough. I have hunted, deer, antelope, mountain lions, Mountain goats, buffalo & bear. I have been successful in all of the above. Fishing is also my passion, love trout, salmon & walleye fishing.
Where are you at in Montana. I lived for 8 years in Great Falls (graduated from Great Falls High in '64), and one year in Missoula before moving to Colorado in 1973.
__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:20 AM   #15
Head Chef
 
salt and pepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montana
Posts: 2,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Where are you at in Montana. I lived for 8 years in Great Falls (graduated from Great Falls High in '64), and one year in Missoula before moving to Colorado in 1973.
I live in Whitehall, about 25 miles east of Butte. 2 hours south of Missoula.
__________________
salt and pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:38 AM   #16
Head Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
I live in Whitehall, about 25 miles east of Butte. 2 hours south of Missoula.
I believe that's one town in that area that I haven't at least driven through. I've been to Butte, Helena, Bozeman, but I've never driven between Butte and Bozeman, so I never hit Whitehall. Most of my time in that area was before the freeways were built, so travel was mostly on two lane roads, but it was also before Montana was extorted into posting a daytime speed limit, so we still got around pretty efficiently.

It's all nice country, although Butte would be nicer without the big hole in the ground. My brother and I drive up to Anaconda once in a while to play golf at the Old Works course there - the last time about 4 years ago.
__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:30 PM   #17
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,879
This is the Wusthof Santoku knife I use 90% of the time, like other people use a chef knife.
It works best for me, and fits my hand perfectly. I also appreciate the beauty of this quality knife.



Souschef has his own Henkles Santoku that he likes as much as I like mine.
Every cook in the kitchen should have their own special knife.

We have a knife block of several others, but these are our favorites.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:49 PM   #18
Head Chef
 
salt and pepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montana
Posts: 2,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
I believe that's one town in that area that I haven't at least driven through. I've been to Butte, Helena, Bozeman, but I've never driven between Butte and Bozeman, so I never hit Whitehall. Most of my time in that area was before the freeways were built, so travel was mostly on two lane roads, but it was also before Montana was extorted into posting a daytime speed limit, so we still got around pretty efficiently.

It's all nice country, although Butte would be nicer without the big hole in the ground. My brother and I drive up to Anaconda once in a while to play golf at the Old Works course there - the last time about 4 years ago.
Sorry to say it may have been the last time! Click on th link.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...86956481,d.aWw
__________________
salt and pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:00 PM   #19
Head Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
Sorry to say it may have been the last time! Click on th link.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...86956481,d.aWw
Thanks for that link. Too bad. It was a brave experiment, and should have been executed with better overall planning. I always thought that the fees were too low for sustainability.
__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:11 PM   #20
Head Chef
 
salt and pepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montana
Posts: 2,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Thanks for that link. Too bad. It was a brave experiment, and should have been executed with better overall planning. I always thought that the fees were too low for sustainability.
It's too bad, such a nice course.
__________________

__________________
salt and pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
knives

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.