"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 02-24-2015, 11:09 AM   #11
Head Chef

I can't imagine any reason for having that many knives. I don't collect, I just use them, and I have what I need for kitchen use in a single knife block.

I have a couple of nice carving sets, one that was my Dad's, that only come out on special occasions when we have a big dinner. Otherwise, my 3 Wusthof knives (a 10" and a 6" chef, and 5" boning knife) do 99% of what I need to do in the kitchen.

I also have a 2" and a 3" CC paring knife that occasionally get some use when I don't already have one of the big knives out. Most of the time I just use what ever knife I am already using if a little job is necessary.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:46 PM   #12
Master Chef

I love knives, I do have few my self, will have to take picture latter. A lot of times even slightest difference in knife shape makes all the difference when it comes to cutting/using. So I totally get it. I do not have as many filleting knives. S&P, do you hunt/fish?

Old 02-24-2015, 02:15 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I love knives, I do have few my self, will have to take picture latter. A lot of times even slightest difference in knife shape makes all the difference when it comes to cutting/using. So I totally get it. I do not have as many filleting knives. S&P, do you hunt/fish?
Charlie, I live in Montana. I came out from NY & NJ to hunt & fish.I have hunted since I was old enough. I have hunted, deer, antelope, mountain lions, Mountain goats, buffalo & bear. I have been successful in all of the above. Fishing is also my passion, love trout, salmon & walleye fishing.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:09 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
Charlie, I live in Montana. I came out from NY & NJ to hunt & fish.I have hunted since I was old enough. I have hunted, deer, antelope, mountain lions, Mountain goats, buffalo & bear. I have been successful in all of the above. Fishing is also my passion, love trout, salmon & walleye fishing.
Where are you at in Montana. I lived for 8 years in Great Falls (graduated from Great Falls High in '64), and one year in Missoula before moving to Colorado in 1973.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:20 AM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Where are you at in Montana. I lived for 8 years in Great Falls (graduated from Great Falls High in '64), and one year in Missoula before moving to Colorado in 1973.
I live in Whitehall, about 25 miles east of Butte. 2 hours south of Missoula.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:38 AM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
I live in Whitehall, about 25 miles east of Butte. 2 hours south of Missoula.
I believe that's one town in that area that I haven't at least driven through. I've been to Butte, Helena, Bozeman, but I've never driven between Butte and Bozeman, so I never hit Whitehall. Most of my time in that area was before the freeways were built, so travel was mostly on two lane roads, but it was also before Montana was extorted into posting a daytime speed limit, so we still got around pretty efficiently.

It's all nice country, although Butte would be nicer without the big hole in the ground. My brother and I drive up to Anaconda once in a while to play golf at the Old Works course there - the last time about 4 years ago.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:30 PM   #17
Master Chef

This is the Wusthof Santoku knife I use 90% of the time, like other people use a chef knife.
It works best for me, and fits my hand perfectly. I also appreciate the beauty of this quality knife.

Souschef has his own Henkles Santoku that he likes as much as I like mine.
Every cook in the kitchen should have their own special knife.

We have a knife block of several others, but these are our favorites.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:49 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
I believe that's one town in that area that I haven't at least driven through. I've been to Butte, Helena, Bozeman, but I've never driven between Butte and Bozeman, so I never hit Whitehall. Most of my time in that area was before the freeways were built, so travel was mostly on two lane roads, but it was also before Montana was extorted into posting a daytime speed limit, so we still got around pretty efficiently.

It's all nice country, although Butte would be nicer without the big hole in the ground. My brother and I drive up to Anaconda once in a while to play golf at the Old Works course there - the last time about 4 years ago.
Sorry to say it may have been the last time! Click on th link.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...86956481,d.aWw
Old 02-25-2015, 07:00 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Sorry to say it may have been the last time! Click on th link.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...86956481,d.aWw
Thanks for that link. Too bad. It was a brave experiment, and should have been executed with better overall planning. I always thought that the fees were too low for sustainability.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:11 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Thanks for that link. Too bad. It was a brave experiment, and should have been executed with better overall planning. I always thought that the fees were too low for sustainability.
It's too bad, such a nice course.

Tags
knives