"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 02-28-2015, 06:48 AM   #21
Head Chef

I will have to scare up a picture of some of mine. I don't really have a ton of kitchen knives, just maybe 15 or so really nice ones and a few 'beaters'. All of my nice ones are Japanese.

I'm a chef by trade so knives are just part and parcel to what I do for a living.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:14 PM   #22
Master Chef

Ok, here are some of my knives. Not a very good picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iPhonePics15 136.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	22626   Click image for larger version

Name:	iPhonePics15 137.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	22627  

Old 03-04-2015, 09:54 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I could become a knife hoarder if I let myself! I have a set of Wusthoff Classic that was a gift from my sister, it came in a silver briefcase with garnishing tools, every piece had its own cutout in the foam. That's my everyday set. I've tossed in a few random knives over the years. My favorite parer is the old fashioned Rada paring knife, it just fits my hand better than any.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:55 AM   #24
Master Chef

Speaking of knives. Was in Sam's yesterday, picked up a set of Emeril knives , 4 knives, 4 cutting boards, color coordinated, it was on clearance for $7. We are going on vacation, and since we keep kosher we have to bring all our cooking stuff with us. I thought it would be cheaper to just get that set and leave it there.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:42 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I could become a knife hoarder if I let myself! I have a set of Wusthoff Classic that was a gift from my sister, it came in a silver briefcase with garnishing tools, every piece had its own cutout in the foam. That's my everyday set. I've tossed in a few random knives over the years. My favorite parer is the old fashioned Rada paring knife, it just fits my hand better than any.
bc, before they became the rage and Oxo had one made up, my favorite parer is a serrated one. I got it for 88 cents out of a catalog and it was on the clearance page. It can peel a tomato so thin, you can read a newspaper through the skin. It has a hard plastic handle. Oxo has a softer rubber one. My sister had bought one after I convinced her how great a serrated blade was. Not as sharp as my 88 cent one. It makes peeling potatoes go like a breeze. Always one continuous peel.

I HATE, HATE, the all metal handle ones that our mothers had. So hard on the hand.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:19 PM   #26
Master Chef

Now that bc brought up peelers, I don't feel I'm too far off the topic by mentioning my favorite. It's made by "Chef'n" and they call it a "PalmPeeler". You slip a ring-like loop over your middle finger, and "stroke" whatever you are peeling as if you're petting a cat or dog. I have a tendency to peel my fingernail tips or knuckles when peeling potatoes or carrots; this style eliminates that. It's nice to use on a day my hands just don't want to grip too tight either, since the hand is open flat when you peel.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:07 AM   #27
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Now that bc brought up peelers, I don't feel I'm too far off the topic by mentioning my favorite. It's made by "Chef'n" and they call it a "PalmPeeler". You slip a ring-like loop over your middle finger, and "stroke" whatever you are peeling as if you're petting a cat or dog. I have a tendency to peel my fingernail tips or knuckles when peeling potatoes or carrots; this style eliminates that. It's nice to use on a day my hands just don't want to grip too tight either, since the hand is open flat when you peel.

Your rite on topic, anything with a blade!
Old 03-05-2015, 10:55 AM   #28
Head Chef

I prefer my Oxo Peeler. Unlike Addie, I can't think of any reason why I would use a paring knife to peel a potato - I don't need the peel in one piece. I can do a medium size spud in about 10 seconds with this:

Carrots and other root veggies too, and I like it for shaving carrots to add to a garden salad too.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:14 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post

I can see the beauty in using that. It does keep the blade away from your skin. I took the tip off of one finger a short while ago. It healed over completely, minus the part I cut off. I now have a flat squared off tip on my finger and press it just right, you can hit the nerve and get a loud yelp from me.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:46 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
bc, before they became the rage and Oxo had one made up, my favorite parer is a serrated one. I got it for 88 cents out of a catalog and it was on the clearance page. It can peel a tomato so thin, you can read a newspaper through the skin. It has a hard plastic handle. Oxo has a softer rubber one. My sister had bought one after I convinced her how great a serrated blade was. Not as sharp as my 88 cent one. It makes peeling potatoes go like a breeze. Always one continuous peel.

I HATE, HATE, the all metal handle ones that our mothers had. So hard on the hand.
Of all the knives a paring knife seems to be the most personal. It's all about how it feels in the hand. I've used some of the most awkward paring knives and have no idea who's hand that they would work in.

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
knives