Let's talk Knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I will have to scare up a picture of some of mine. I don't really have a ton of kitchen knives, just maybe 15 or so really nice ones and a few 'beaters'. All of my nice ones are Japanese.

I'm a chef by trade so knives are just part and parcel to what I do for a living.:chef:

Ok, here are some of my knives. Not a very good picture

Attachments

• iPhonePics15 136.jpg
    iPhonePics15 136.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 258
  • iPhonePics15 137.jpg
    iPhonePics15 137.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
I could become a knife hoarder if I let myself! I have a set of Wusthoff Classic that was a gift from my sister, it came in a silver briefcase with garnishing tools, every piece had its own cutout in the foam. That's my everyday set. I've tossed in a few random knives over the years. My favorite parer is the old fashioned Rada paring knife, it just fits my hand better than any.

Speaking of knives. Was in Sam's yesterday, picked up a set of Emeril knives , 4 knives, 4 cutting boards, color coordinated, it was on clearance for $7. We are going on vacation, and since we keep kosher we have to bring all our cooking stuff with us. I thought it would be cheaper to just get that set and leave it there.

I could become a knife hoarder if I let myself! I have a set of Wusthoff Classic that was a gift from my sister, it came in a silver briefcase with garnishing tools, every piece had its own cutout in the foam. That's my everyday set. I've tossed in a few random knives over the years. My favorite parer is the old fashioned Rada paring knife, it just fits my hand better than any.

bc, before they became the rage and Oxo had one made up, my favorite parer is a serrated one. I got it for 88 cents out of a catalog and it was on the clearance page. It can peel a tomato so thin, you can read a newspaper through the skin. It has a hard plastic handle. Oxo has a softer rubber one. My sister had bought one after I convinced her how great a serrated blade was. Not as sharp as my 88 cent one. It makes peeling potatoes go like a breeze. Always one continuous peel.

I HATE, HATE, the all metal handle ones that our mothers had. So hard on the hand. :angel:

Now that bc brought up peelers, I don't feel I'm too far off the topic by mentioning my favorite. It's made by "Chef'n" and they call it a "PalmPeeler". You slip a ring-like loop over your middle finger, and "stroke" whatever you are peeling as if you're petting a cat or dog. I have a tendency to peel my fingernail tips or knuckles when peeling potatoes or carrots; this style eliminates that. It's nice to use on a day my hands just don't want to grip too tight either, since the hand is open flat when you peel.

fingerpeeler12.jpg

Now that bc brought up peelers, I don't feel I'm too far off the topic by mentioning my favorite. It's made by "Chef'n" and they call it a "PalmPeeler". You slip a ring-like loop over your middle finger, and "stroke" whatever you are peeling as if you're petting a cat or dog. I have a tendency to peel my fingernail tips or knuckles when peeling potatoes or carrots; this style eliminates that. It's nice to use on a day my hands just don't want to grip too tight either, since the hand is open flat when you peel.

fingerpeeler12.jpg
Your rite on topic, anything with a blade!

I prefer my Oxo Peeler. Unlike Addie, I can't think of any reason why I would use a paring knife to peel a potato - I don't need the peel in one piece. I can do a medium size spud in about 10 seconds with this:

310D6DGR0HL.jpg

Carrots and other root veggies too, and I like it for shaving carrots to add to a garden salad too.

fingerpeeler12.jpg

I can see the beauty in using that. It does keep the blade away from your skin. I took the tip off of one finger a short while ago. It healed over completely, minus the part I cut off. I now have a flat squared off tip on my finger and press it just right, you can hit the nerve and get a loud yelp from me. :angel:

bc, before they became the rage and Oxo had one made up, my favorite parer is a serrated one. I got it for 88 cents out of a catalog and it was on the clearance page. It can peel a tomato so thin, you can read a newspaper through the skin. It has a hard plastic handle. Oxo has a softer rubber one. My sister had bought one after I convinced her how great a serrated blade was. Not as sharp as my 88 cent one. It makes peeling potatoes go like a breeze. Always one continuous peel.

I HATE, HATE, the all metal handle ones that our mothers had. So hard on the hand. :angel:

Of all the knives a paring knife seems to be the most personal. It's all about how it feels in the hand. I've used some of the most awkward paring knives and have no idea who's hand that they would work in.

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Of all the knives a paring knife seems to be the most personal. It's all about how it feels in the hand. I've used some of the most awkward paring knives and have no idea who's hand that they would work in.

I hear you on that one. My hands are very small. I came across a paring knife that looked like it was a perfect fit for me. It wasn't too expensive, so I bought it. A perfect fit! in fact it was so perfect I went back and bought a second one. I have learned my lesson over the years that when peeling a veggie, and you grab the peelings to toss in the garbage, check first to make sure your took the paring knife away. I have tossed a few and never realized it until too late. Lesson learned! I have had these two ones that I now own for about 20 years. At least I know if I should forget my lesson, I will have one left that I love. :angel:

I hear you on that one. My hands are very small. I came across a paring knife that looked like it was a perfect fit for me. It wasn't too expensive, so I bought it. A perfect fit! in fact it was so perfect I went back and bought a second one. I have learned my lesson over the years that when peeling a veggie, and you grab the peelings to toss in the garbage, check first to make sure your took the paring knife away. I have tossed a few and never realized it until too late. Lesson learned! I have had these two ones that I now own for about 20 years. At least I know if I should forget my lesson, I will have one left that I love. :angel:

I try to do the same, when I find something that I love, I'll get an extra just in case I can't find it again.

Moving totally off topic here, but speaking of tossing things. We are missing a whole bunch of forks out if the set we got for our wedding. Have no idea where any of them went. I do suspect that they were tossed out when tables were cleared.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Moving totally off topic here, but speaking of tossing things. We are missing a whole bunch of forks out if the set we got for our wedding. Have no idea where any of them went. I do suspect that they were tossed out when tables were cleared.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Charlie,

If you have a teenager in the house look under the bed! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

When we were kids my Mother used to go on periodic "raids" to retrieve dishes and silverware from our rooms. She used to complain that we all had the energy to carry a full plate out of the kitchen and none of us had the strength to carry an empty plate back to the kitchen!

I like my Pampered chef knives. My skinner is a old timer I got at wal mart in the 90s. My all time favorite is a home made one my dad got. Its made out of a file with a bone handle. That thing never goes dull.

I tend to keep a set on the counter for the steak knives and carving set, plus my wie uses the knives off the counter for cooking, I tend to use a few knives, and take turns with them..

I have to say my favorite is this one Amazon.com: Victorinox Swiss Army 10-1/4-Inch Fibrox Wavy Bread Knife, Black: Bread Knives: Kitchen & Dining
mine has the white fibrox handle, but I will say for a $40 knife there is no better anywhere and I have looked...

my counter set if the guy fieri ergo chef set, I love ergo chefs stuff, very well made and great overall quality especially for the price...
ER33.jpg
but the steak knifes are a like nothing I ever used before, they are great and always get comments when we are entertaining and serving something like prime rib roast, I have 12 of them and I always have to count them after we use them, lol.. I remember the bugaboo creek days when everyone used to put the steak knives in their pockets, lol...

Two weekends back, I took part in a local pig roast charity event. I was one of four of us who pulled 3 whole pigs, 6 shoulders, and 3 full hams. I took my Chroma 10 inch French Chef's knife, simply because I didn't know what else would be on site. There was a high-end German made Santoku style knife, and a couple nondescript French Chef's knives on site. I used all of them. All but my Chroma had standard, 3 rivet, full-tang wooden handles, with bolsters. My plastic glove covered hands were slippery and I found every knife to be slippery, and hard to maintain a good grip with. I figured the Chroma, with its no-bolster, smooth metal blade would be especially slippery. But I have to tell you, because of its unique shape, it was exceptionally easy to use, with no slippage, and great control. I was sold on this knife long ago, but never had a chance to directly compare it with other fine cutlery. Now I have, and wouldn't trade it for any other brand, period. It holds its edge very well, and is reasonably easy to sharpen, as long as you remember that it has a convex cutting edge. I hone it each time I use it, on a good steel, and have only had to sharpen it maybe 5 times since I got it in 2003.

Yes, I am singing the praises of this knife, and other knives of the same brand, because I have used them. No, I don't sell them, and am not part of the company that makes them. At least for my hands, and my son who is a professional cook, we are sold on Chroma 310 Chef's knives. We both like the 10 inch version. My son also likes the paring knife and the Santoku versions.

Just my opinion of course. But it's an opinion born of handling, and comparing in a challenging environment.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing gets me giddy quicker than a discussion about knives. I love them. Are we still talking about knives? Lawd I hope so!!

I still have knives from my first garde manger job when I was 17 and working to gain admittance to CIA! Those were forschner knives the knife sharpening guy sold me. I can honestly say they last a lifetime. Then I went to CIA and got my kit and I believe those were Forschners too... and a couple of Dexters. I distinctly remember a Dexter serrated bread knife. (just checked and yes it is). I still have most of them and they have lasted me decades. The husband likes to buy me knives and I love getting them.... he got me a whole set of beautiful Henckel's a couple of year's back, and a lovely Shun utility knife. I love the balance but did I read somewhere that the steel they use corrodes more quickly than a quality Henckel or Wusthof? If so, then I have to agree. That is the only knife I own that actually has a spot of rust! What's up with that?! And then I have Wusthofs and I love them too.

He wants to buy me a new knife and hey, I'm up for that. Recommendations? I've been out of the high end knife market, so not sure what's considered the best - and I don't need it to be expensive to be the best - I need it to be a quality tool.

Any recommendations?

No recommendations from me. My first "good" knives were a set of Chicago Cutlery. It's with those knives I really learned to slice and dice so I could learn to cook...

I then received a set of Henckels Pro S as a gift and have been using them for 12-15 years. I'm happy with them and have no real desire to buy others. Also, I still have the Chicago Cutlery.

I'm sort of with Andy. I have a few knives that I've collected along the way, but I go for how it fits my hand first. For me the Wusthof Classic series and the Chicago Cutlery that looks similar are my favorites. I have 3 of each (Wusthof 10" and 6" chef's and 5" boning knife; Chicago 8" chef, 2½" paring and 3½" utility), along with a Dexter-Russell bread knife, and those are what I use 99% of the time.

Back
Top Bottom