"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 02-23-2015, 12:35 PM   #1
Head Chef

Let's talk Knives

Here are some of my most used knives. What are your favorites? From filet,paring,fish,hunting & skinning,chefs,slicing,boning etc. & sharpening.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:00 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

That's a lot of knives, Joey.

When I first started out in cooking, I bought myself a set of Chicago Cutlery Walnut Traditions knives. Later, I was gifted a set of Henckels Pro S knives. I use the Henckels daily and some of the CC knives go to Aruba with me every year.

I have 6" and 8" chef's knives, a 6" utility, 3" and 4" paring knives. A 6" serrated knife and a bread knife. A slicing and a boning knife. Two kitchen shears and a carving fork. I use a CC butcher's knife when breaking down larger cuts.

I use a Lansky sharpening system to keep them sharp.

I don't have an electric knife sharpener.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:26 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Let's talk Knives

We got Chicago Cutlery and Farberware sets many years ago as wedding gifts. I inherited a couple cleavers along with some boning knives and various other odds and ends. I bought a set of 3 santokus and a set of 3 ceramic knives. I use the santoku chef's knife the most. We use an electric 3 stage Chef's Choice sharpener, it does a nice job.

Looking over my collection, I think I may even have more knives than you do, Joey!
Old 02-23-2015, 01:32 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Forgot to mention, I also have a Henckels cleaver. Does a great job on separating joints and chopping through small bones.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:37 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
We got Chicago Cutlery and Farberware sets many years ago as wedding gifts. I inherited a couple cleavers along with some boning knives and various other odds and ends. I bought a set of 3 santukos and a set of 3 ceramic knives. I use the santuko chef's knife the most. We use an electric 3 stage Chef's Choice sharpener, it does a nice job.

Looking over my collection, I think I may even have more knives than you do, Joey!
Thats not all of my knives Dawg, just the ones I use most!
Old 02-23-2015, 05:31 PM   #6
Master Chef

I have four cheap knives, no surprise!

A chef's knife, paring knife, serrated slicing knife from Martha Stewart's old Kmart days and an old GE electric knife from the 70's that I drag out on holidays, for old times sake.

I get my knives sharpened at a commercial sharpener that services the local grocery chains and butcher shops. He also has a large collection of new and used knives for sale at very low prices, I assume he makes his money on sharpening them after the sale. This might be something to look for in your local area.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:19 PM   #7
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I must have 3 sets of kitchen knives and umpteen gazillion various pocket knives, belt knives, camping knives. I love looking at knives and shopping for them.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:58 PM   #8
Head Chef

My go to knives are Japanese Kanetsune VG 10. Purchased several years ago on the advice of Rob Babcock. The have served me well.

I also have a bunch of old Forschners, which are my lenders.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:28 AM   #9
Master Chef

Didn't we have somebody here few years back who had like 200 knives, or so? He was a knife maker and a collector?

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
Old 02-24-2015, 08:51 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Charlie, I do remember we have had long discussions on knives in one thread. Which ones are the best, how to sharpen them, etc. We covered the whole subject thoroughly I thought.

For my part and contribution to this thread, I had a 12 Shun chef's knife. I gave it to my son. Way too big for my small hands to handle. Too dangerous in my hands.

I also have a Chicago Cutlery boning and 6" chef's knife. I have the hand held sharpener recommended by ATK. I gave my electric Chef's Choice sharpener to my son along with the knife. I have other maverick knives and use them when needed. Oddly enough, I do have an oyster knife. What the heck I am going to do with it, I have no idea. I can't even remember where I got it from. Maybe someday I will come across some oysters to buy and can make oyster stew. Yum!

Tags
knives