Looking for a knife like this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caslon

Executive Chef
You would all be surprised how many stores don't carry a long serrated knife like this.

Lol...it's one of those knives you used to see on an info ad. "It cuts thru brick..and still cuts tomatoes thin as paper.
The flip side of this knife has "Sportsman Dream" inscribed on the blade.
It still works like a champ 20 years later but is getting long in the tooth.

When I go to local stores and try and buy a knife like this...nothing.

When this knife first came out in the early 80's, there were 30 minute infomercials about it. When I shop for a replacement, I don't see them on the shelves. I'd appreciate a link for a replacement of this type of knife.

knife.jpg

holy cow, Caslon, i have **2** of those at home, that i got, yes, 10+ years ago at an in-store demo wherein they demonstrated their tomato-and-brick sawing capabilities.

sadly, all i ever use them for is bread knives, for which they are wonderful, but not so much anything else. most lines of nice knives have something that'd be very comparable for that purpose, but without the pointy end. like, say:

calphalon bread knife set

I'll do an Ebay search as we speak. Thanks

If it isn't on Ebay...it's crap! (or it is).

I like the pointy end for digging out the center of onions that have gone too green, lol.

But ya...that was a kinda a cool kinfe. hehehe...30 minute infomercial for it.

Last edited:
I didn't know there was an infomercial on them. I inherited a few with the house. I rarely if ever use them, but manage to prick myself on the pointed thingies whenever I do go near them.

Lol...it's one of those knives you used to see on an info ad. "It cuts thru brick..and still cuts tomatoes thin as paper.

Uh, after twenty years? LOL The impossible dream.

Hey, Caslon.....

I think your "sure thing" would be to ask some of the DC members who have some of these knives if they would part with them for you. It's worth a try.

At least you know where some are.;) Look. Stranger things could happen. I was the lucky recipient of some awesome potholders sent by one of our great members.

Last edited:

"Unique Forked Tip Design for convenience when serving freshly carved foods
  • Innovative double edge blade for precision cutting
  • Never needs sharpening for durability
  • Great for slicing turkey, ham roast and all other carving needs
  • Full tang, triple riveted, easy to hold handle constructed for strength, balance and style
  • High carbon, stain resistant, Japanese stainless steel for a long lasting edge.
Dishwasher safe."

Those red ones are physically impossible, sorry but true. :dry:

"Unique Forked Tip Design for convenience when serving freshly carved foods
  • Innovative double edge blade for precision cutting
  • Never needs sharpening for durability
  • Great for slicing turkey, ham roast and all other carving needs
  • Full tang, triple riveted, easy to hold handle constructed for strength, balance and style
  • High carbon, stain resistant, Japanese stainless steel for a long lasting edge.
Dishwasher safe."

Those red ones are physically impossible, sorry but true. :dry:

I agree. I'm not promoting the product, just trying to help out the OP.

I've got one nearly identical (it's at home, though, so I'm not sure what it says in the handle).

My Mum bought it off an in-store salesman. She was particularly impressed when he used one to cut through the steel handle of a hammer, etc, claiming it would still be just as sharp. They have a life-time guarantee – if they are broken (no matter who’s at fault) or get blunt, you send them back for a new one. It was pretty expensive.

I was skeptical (I don’t tend to go for those ‘amazing’ things). I still am a little – but I have to admit, the thing is good. For the price (which, while expensive, wasn’t the up there with the top-end products), it’s pretty darn good. I’ll see how it goes for a couple more years.

When I get home, I’ll look and see if I can find the details for you. It sounds like a very similar product.

You would all be surprised how many stores don't carry a long serrated knife like this.

When I go to local stores and try and buy a knife like this...nothing.

When this knife first came out in the early 80's, there were 30 minute infomercials about it. When I shop for a replacement, I don't see them on the shelves. I'd appreciate a link for a replacement of this type of knife.

knife.jpg

My Dad has the Sportsman's Dream set!:LOL: Complete with the vinyl case and everything. I haven't seen 'em new in many years, not sure if they're being made anymore.

Back
Top Bottom