"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 12-08-2007, 09:39 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Looking for an electric knife

I want to get an electric knife and so far my search has yielded only one result: Cuisinart. Are there any other good electric knives out there or is Cuisinart pretty much it? I was kind of hoping to find a cordless model.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:56 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I don't use one but have seen Alton Brown make reference to an iexpensive one for less than $20. I suspect there is not much practical difference in this tool for the differences in price.

Can you post a link to the Cuisinart knife?

Old 12-08-2007, 10:02 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Cuisinart Electric Knife with Holder - Cooking.com

It appears to be well rated. I think Amazon has it for $40 instead of $50.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:20 AM   #4
Sous Chef

I read a review on electric knife's just a couple days ago. It was in one of my mags, I think. If I find that soon I'll let you know what the outcome. I do know that their favorite was a cheap one.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:17 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Americas Test Kitchen liked this one:

Electric Knives, Updated
from the Episode: Perfect Pork, Meat and Potatoes

Our favorite knife gave us the best performance for half the price.

Since 2000, when we first tested electric knives, some changes have occurred in this product category. Black & Decker no longer makes our favorite electric knife, the Ergo, but the company has replaced it with the EK800 Slice Right ($24.99). The Hamilton Beach 74250 Easy Slice Electric Knife ($25.99), which we downgraded in 2000 for an awkward, bulky handle, has been redesigned. And we found a new model from Cuisinart that retails for a whopping $60, more than twice the price of the other two. We brought all three knives into the test kitchen.

The Black & Decker Slice Right is every bit as good as its predecessor. It executed all tasks perfectly. Hamilton Beach's loop-style handle has been made more comfortable, but now the power button needs to be both pressed and pulled, more like a trigger. The need to apply extra pressure quickly becomes tiring.

The handsome Cuisinart comes with two sets of blades: carving and bread. But both blades seem reluctant to bite into food, whether a brisket or a baguette, and the sleek-looking handle feels quite bulky. For half the price and better performance, we will reach for the new Black & Decker Slice Right.

Black & Decker EK800 Slice Right: A worthy replacement for our favorite electric knife.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:00 AM   #6
Senior Cook

I have a Hamilton Beach one that I picked up for free a few years ago at some store (buy 2 appliances get one free; got it with a waffle iron and something I don't even recall). It works just fine; I really don't think there's any "nicer" than another when it comes to a product like that.

Course, I only use it to carve turkeys.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:35 AM   #7
Head Chef

We don't use one, but a friend swears by the Cuisinart.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:04 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
A friend of mine was given the Cuisinart as a gift. She said it works just fine but compared to her mother's Hamilton Beach, forget about it. Save some $ and get a better knife - Hamilton Beach (her opinion not mine). I took her advice and recently purchased a Hamilton Beach - it works great.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:43 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I just looked to see what mine was. It's a Hamilton Beach. It was made way back when Moby Dick was still a minnow....Still works fine.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 02:47 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankin View Post
I want to get an electric knife and so far my search has yielded only one result: Cuisinart. Are there any other good electric knives out there or is Cuisinart pretty much it? I was kind of hoping to find a cordless model.
Black and Decker makes a good one, or used to. Mine is still going strong. There are lots of different brands.