"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 11-23-2008, 06:59 PM   #111
Sous Chef

Food sticks. Now way around it. Check out this video of a very sharp blade on potatoes.

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
buzzard767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 07:09 PM   #112
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
If you're telling me that I can't use my knife to cut open a package of Lit'l Smokies, or to cut the plastic wrap off of a package of chicken, when I'm using the same knife on a less than choice cutting board..... well, I just don't buy it. That's not the level of knife ownership I want to be at. I'm just trying to be honest. I want to pick up one knife to do most of my kitchen needs and if that means touching it up more, then I'll accept that.
I agree. I use whatever knife is closest to cut thin plastics. No edge damage ever.

As for rocking, lots of folks swear by it. Personally I only use that technique for mincing. Perhaps it's faster for some applications, but as a home cook, I'm never in a hurry. Maybe that's the difference. I tend to cut most veggies like the video I referenced above.

Buzz

Old 11-23-2008, 07:21 PM   #113
Chef Extraordinaire

Very cool video, Buzz. You have the sawing action, the technique to keep the pieces in place. That is getting bookmarked.
Thank you.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:26 PM   #114
Sous Chef

Quote:
Very cool video, Buzz. You have the sawing action, the technique to keep the pieces in place. That is getting bookmarked.
Thank you.
Ah but it is not I. I'm not that good, yet. That's KCMA at FoodieForums.

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
Old 11-23-2008, 07:34 PM   #115
Chef Extraordinaire

I must have missed that vid.
That's the guy that types using the zer0s, right? I kn0w s0me0ne's p0sts I have a hard time f0ll0wing.... ;^)
Old 11-23-2008, 07:42 PM   #116
Sous Chef

Quote:
I must have missed that vid.
That's the guy that types using the zer0s, right? I kn0w s0me0ne's p0sts I have a hard time f0ll0wing.... ;^)
That's him all right. His cutting techniques are second to none. When you do it for a living, and you care, you get really good.

The 0's are from his computer. His o's are from his cell phone. In short, he needs to get his computer fixed because the o doesn't work.

KCMA's knives are solid steel, not the typical Japanese san mai (sandwiched) construction, and he only sharpens one side. I have a knife like that on order and I'm going to put the same type of bevel on it (except left handed) to see how it works. He swears by it and gives lots of reasons to validate his beliefs.

Buzz
Old 11-23-2008, 07:56 PM   #117
Chef Extraordinaire

We used to kid about left and right handed hammers at work. It didn't take me long to figure out the knife folks were serious, depending on where the bevel was. If I'm still cutting my food with a knife ten years from now I can't imagine I would ever know a difference. But you never know.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:14 PM   #118
Sous Chef

Quote:
We used to kid about left and right handed hammers at work. It didn't take me long to figure out the knife folks were serious, depending on where the bevel was. If I'm still cutting my food with a knife ten years from now I can't imagine I would ever know a difference. But you never know.
Ten years from now you'll be cutting food with either a laser or its successor. Star wars. It's gonna happen. Meanwhile, we work with what we have.

Very few Japanese knives come with a 50/50 bevel. Most are right hand biased, say 30/70, 40/60, whatever. A few are into the 10/90 or 20/80 range and it does make a difference. The extreme of course are the traditional wa knives with a single bevel and a concave (hollow ground) back side. It is difficult for a lefty like me to use a right handed wa blade. Unfortunately, most makers add a 50% surcharge for us unlucky mollydookers (Aussie for left handed), although there are a couple makers that will do it for less.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:25 PM   #119
Chef Extraordinaire

Well, I steeled it. It took more than three times each side, and more than light pressure, but the burr feeling edge went away AND..... most importantly, my spuds did not stick nearly as much. So they must have been hanging up on the edge. And it still felt dang sharp, so I guess I didn't screw it up, but it still looks jagged. Looks aren't everything.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:43 PM   #120
Sous Chef

Quote:
Well, I steeled it. It took more than three times each side, and more than light pressure, but the burr feeling edge went away AND..... most importantly, my spuds did not stick nearly as much. So they must have been hanging up on the edge. And it still felt dang sharp, so I guess I didn't screw it up, but it still looks jagged. Looks aren't everything.
It still sounds to me like it needs a new edge. The Japanese who traditionally only marketed to Japan expected the buyers to put their own edge on a blade and I think it carries somewhat into the American market. For example, the knife I mentioned in post 118 is an Aritsuga "A" 240mm Gyuto and it comes unsharpened. That's right, no edge at all. I plan on giving it the mollydooker version of KCMA's knives and see what happens. The steel is very hard and the initial grinding is a huge PITA so the order was placed mollydooker wise and Aritsuga replied no extra charge. It won't be sharp but at least the heavy work will already have been accomplished.

I think, pacanais, that once sharpened, your knife will become that which you thought you ordered in the first place, and more.