Looking for knife info. Be gentle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Buzzard, on angles....
So the Shun blades aren't as durable as the German blades?

Buzzard, on angles....
So the Shun blades aren't as durable as the German blades?

On the contrary, Shuns edges are Stainless VG-10 steel. It is excellent for knives. It gets much sharper and lasts much longer. German forged steels aren't even close. Personally I like the steel in the Takayuki I just mentioned but for the proce, and price alone, the best knife in the world HAS to be the Tojiro DP 240mm here. It's made of Sandvik 19C27 steel, a cousin of AEB-L, and also outstanding for knives. Korin's retail is $56.50 and there will be a 10 or 15% off Christmas sale coming up soon. I would use this knife long before any Henkel, Wusthof, etc.

Buzz

That's the one SS. The forged one.
Things that I was comparing was free shipping, which I get with that knife as well as the Henckel I posted, and the sharpener that comes with the Henckel. Sure, a knife professional would never use the sharpener, but for someone like me it probably does a decent job and it is made by Henckel, so I can only assume they aren't going to want you to ruin the blade.
So there's 8 bucks difference....
You wouldn't know anything about the blade thickness of each would you? I don't see that dimension given.

On the contrary, Shuns edges are Stainless VG-10 steel. It is excellent for knives. It gets much sharper and lasts much longer. German forged steels aren't even close. Personally I like the steel in the Takayuki I just mentioned but for the proce, and price alone, the best knife in the world HAS to be the Tojiro DP 240mm here. It's made of Sandvik 19C27 steel, a cousin of AEB-L, and also outstanding for knives. Korin's retail is $56.50 and there will be a 10 or 15% off Christmas sale coming up soon. I would use this knife long before any Henkel, Wusthof, etc.

Buzz

So I see the metal used plays an important part. I automatically assumed that the shallower angle of the Shun would lend it to not hold up as well. Learning a lot here and I appreciate the time everyone has given.
That's a pretty good recommendation you gave. It doesn't have the handle I've been leaning towards, but like I said, I'm sure I will adapt and get to like anything I use. Maybe I'll pull the trigger on that one.

That's a pretty good recommendation you gave. It doesn't have the handle I've been leaning towards, but like I said, I'm sure I will adapt and get to like anything I use. Maybe I'll pull the trigger on that one.

Don't rush until you're sure of what you want and need. There are two dedicated knife forums that have sub forums just for cooks and those are the places you will REALLY learn what is up. They both will push hard for Japanese knives, but for good reason. They're the best. They get more sharp, they last longer between sharpenings, and the geometry makes for smoother, easier, more precise cuts with less friction. In short, food prep becomes a pleasure, not a chore.

DiscussCooking is wonderful. I really like it here, but it is a place where I listen to advice on cooking and give advice on knives.

KF

FF

Buzzard, I didn't see where it said if that knife was forged or not, but going through the site and the knife making section, am I to think that ALL Japanese knives are forged?

And thanks for the links.

am I to think that ALL Japanese knives are forged?

No. Traditional Japanese knives are forged and that is what you will receive from the custom shops. This is typical. Moritaka - then click "English" then "Manufacturing Process"

Many solid steel as opposed to "two steel" (for lack of a better term) knives are strip steels such as Uddelhom AEB-L. Believe me, a steel does not have to be forged to make it superior. There are different methods of producing excellent steel. Forging is indeed important for some steels but the proclamations of superiority is something in the minds of the marketing executives nowadays. Some of my personal knives are forged, some not. None are better than another because of the process.

Buzz

Pacanis, if you are looking for a "regular guy" recommendation for brand, I would suggest you take a look at Forshner and Victorinox.

I am a long-term member of "The BBQ Forum", and there are mostly regular guys there, not professional chefs. Many fans of Forshner in particular - knives which will do what you want them to, feel good, affordable price.

I have one, which admittedly, I don't use often, only because it's a 14-inch granton edge slicer that I reserve for slicing brisket or other large roasts. I ordered it online and love it.

Lee

Thanks.
I didn't see them say which knives were forged and which weren't, just that they had a section where it looked like they were hand forging the knives.... something about making only 10-12 per day.... something like that?
Not that it makes a difference. I was just curious why they didn't tell you if their knives were forged or not.

After reading a little bit about technique and watching some posted vids, and knowing I have no knife technique, it kind of makes me wonder if the heavier, seemingly more durable to abuse, standard french chef's knife would be more suitable. I'm a slicer and a chopper. And a rocker. I don't know about all that gentle holding letting the knife do the work stuff (lol). Looks like I have my research cut out for me.

Thanks Lee. I'm kinda leaning to getting one of each just to see. I suppose it's the only way I'll now 6 months from now which one I prefer, the Japanese style or the Western style.

After reading a little bit about technique and watching some posted vids, and knowing I have no knife technique, it kind of makes me wonder if the heavier, seemingly more durable to abuse, standard french chef's knife would be more suitable. I'm a slicer and a chopper. And a rocker. I don't know about all that gentle holding letting the knife do the work stuff (lol). Looks like I have my research cut out for me.

Then look here. French Chef's knives have the same basic side profiles of their Japanese counterparts. Less belly, eg. German knives look more like rocking chairs. I can vouch for the Thiers-Issard Sabatiers, and The Best Things is the US importer. I have an 11" stainless that I've never used but the fit and finish is above average and the blade is exceptionally straight for one that long. However, every once in awhile I do use three T-I Sabs, but they are both carbon and vintage, about 6, 9, and 11" lengths. Great knives but hard to find good ones with full blades.

img_720915_0_8b1a8352b1ad628069d25c7a86714459.jpg

At home I use the Thiers-Issard knives Buzz shows above. I like the way they take an edge, feel in the hand, and have the French shape that, in different size knives, is proportionate. By that I mean that the 6" chefs is smaller proportionately both in length and width than the 8".
The 10" is the one I look to for most needs. That being said, I think the Forschner Fibrox needs a mention. It is a stamped steel, but inexpensive, well made, and does all it should. In my brief stint in a professional kitchen these knives served us well and withstood a great deal of abuse.

Thanks for the weigh-in, bullseye.
Tough choices for sure.

Forschner.. that's the one also called Victorinox or something like that? I think I saw that on their website.
All this knife lingo is confusing me (lol).

Someone who knows more may correct me, but I believe the Forschner is stamped and the Victorinox is forged.

Just an FYI, the Forschner routinely wins the Cook's Illustrated Best Buy.

Right up my alley. :) Cook's Illustrated, March & April, 2007, pages 28 & 29. Chef's knives - as usual the Forschner Fibrox "wins". But on page 28 there is a sidebar re: Bob Kramer knives.

C'sI - Kramer says, "It's like comparing Twinkies to a Grand Marnier souffle." CI states, "We agree but that's one expensive souffle." The knife in question is a $475 custom, but believe me the steel and geometry of a custom like this can be had for much less. That Tojiro DP I earlier referenced is much more knife than the Fibrox for only twice the price. Why buy a throwaway when for a little more you can have a lifetime of culinary pleasure that your grandchildren will use with equal glee? Oops, we'll have laser knives ala Star Wars by then....

CI is stuck in a rut, but at least they admit there is better to be had. They should, if they even know about them (I doubt it), include knives like the Tojiros in the tests and include high volume kitchen line cooks among their testers, not just a bunch of TV/Magazine academics.

Forschner.. that's the one also called Victorinox or something like that? I think I saw that on their website.
All this knife lingo is confusing me (lol).

Read my earlier post: Victorinox=Forschner=SwissArmyKinife. Same company, nice products, = to Germania but not in the same league with others I have mentioned.

Right up my alley. :) Cook's Illustrated, March & April, 2007, pages 28 & 29. Chef's knives - as usual the Forschner Fibrox "wins". But on page 28 there is a sidebar re: Bob Kramer knives.

C'sI - Kramer says, "It's like comparing Twinkies to a Grand Marnier souffle." CI states, "We agree but that's one expensive souffle." The knife in question is a $475 custom, but believe me the steel and geometry of a custom like this can be had for much less. That Tojiro DP I earlier referenced is much more knife than the Fibrox for only twice the price. Why buy a throwaway when for a little more you can have a lifetime of culinary pleasure that your grandchildren will use with equal glee? Oops, we'll have laser knives ala Star Wars by then....

CI is stuck in a rut, but at least they admit there is better to be had. They should, if they even know about them (I doubt it), include knives like the Tojiros in the tests and include high volume kitchen line cooks among their testers, not just a bunch of TV/Magazine academics.
No argument, Buzz. I was just noting that there are knives available on the cheap that will do the job. I have had my T-I for more years than I like to count and they fit me like an old shoe, yet your other posts make me long to try some of the Japanese products. Thus far, though, it's "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Back
Top Bottom