"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 11-08-2008, 04:25 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks Lee. I'm kinda leaning to getting one of each just to see. I suppose it's the only way I'll now 6 months from now which one I prefer, the Japanese style or the Western style.

Old 11-08-2008, 04:48 PM   #52
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
After reading a little bit about technique and watching some posted vids, and knowing I have no knife technique, it kind of makes me wonder if the heavier, seemingly more durable to abuse, standard french chef's knife would be more suitable. I'm a slicer and a chopper. And a rocker. I don't know about all that gentle holding letting the knife do the work stuff (lol). Looks like I have my research cut out for me.
Then look here. French Chef's knives have the same basic side profiles of their Japanese counterparts. Less belly, eg. German knives look more like rocking chairs. I can vouch for the Thiers-Issard Sabatiers, and The Best Things is the US importer. I have an 11" stainless that I've never used but the fit and finish is above average and the blade is exceptionally straight for one that long. However, every once in awhile I do use three T-I Sabs, but they are both carbon and vintage, about 6, 9, and 11" lengths. Great knives but hard to find good ones with full blades.

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
buzzard767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 06:28 PM   #53
Head Chef

At home I use the Thiers-Issard knives Buzz shows above. I like the way they take an edge, feel in the hand, and have the French shape that, in different size knives, is proportionate. By that I mean that the 6" chefs is smaller proportionately both in length and width than the 8".
The 10" is the one I look to for most needs. That being said, I think the Forschner Fibrox needs a mention. It is a stamped steel, but inexpensive, well made, and does all it should. In my brief stint in a professional kitchen these knives served us well and withstood a great deal of abuse.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:33 PM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks for the weigh-in, bullseye.
Tough choices for sure.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:49 PM   #55
Head Chef

Quote:
Thanks for the weigh-in, bullseye.
Tough choices for sure.
Just an FYI, the Forschner routinely wins the Cook's Illustrated Best Buy.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:59 PM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire

Forschner.. that's the one also called Victorinox or something like that? I think I saw that on their website.
All this knife lingo is confusing me (lol).
Old 11-08-2008, 07:10 PM   #57
Head Chef

Someone who knows more may correct me, but I believe the Forschner is stamped and the Victorinox is forged.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:24 PM   #58
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseye View Post
Just an FYI, the Forschner routinely wins the Cook's Illustrated Best Buy.
Right up my alley. Cook's Illustrated, March & April, 2007, pages 28 & 29. Chef's knives - as usual the Forschner Fibrox "wins". But on page 28 there is a sidebar re: Bob Kramer knives.

C'sI - Kramer says, "It's like comparing Twinkies to a Grand Marnier souffle." CI states, "We agree but that's one expensive souffle." The knife in question is a $475 custom, but believe me the steel and geometry of a custom like this can be had for much less. That Tojiro DP I earlier referenced is much more knife than the Fibrox for only twice the price. Why buy a throwaway when for a little more you can have a lifetime of culinary pleasure that your grandchildren will use with equal glee? Oops, we'll have laser knives ala Star Wars by then....

CI is stuck in a rut, but at least they admit there is better to be had. They should, if they even know about them (I doubt it), include knives like the Tojiros in the tests and include high volume kitchen line cooks among their testers, not just a bunch of TV/Magazine academics.

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
Old 11-08-2008, 07:30 PM   #59
Sous Chef

Quote:
Forschner.. that's the one also called Victorinox or something like that? I think I saw that on their website.
All this knife lingo is confusing me (lol).
Read my earlier post: Victorinox=Forschner=SwissArmyKinife. Same company, nice products, = to Germania but not in the same league with others I have mentioned.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:58 PM   #60
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
Right up my alley. Cook's Illustrated, March & April, 2007, pages 28 & 29. Chef's knives - as usual the Forschner Fibrox "wins". But on page 28 there is a sidebar re: Bob Kramer knives.

C'sI - Kramer says, "It's like comparing Twinkies to a Grand Marnier souffle." CI states, "We agree but that's one expensive souffle." The knife in question is a $475 custom, but believe me the steel and geometry of a custom like this can be had for much less. That Tojiro DP I earlier referenced is much more knife than the Fibrox for only twice the price. Why buy a throwaway when for a little more you can have a lifetime of culinary pleasure that your grandchildren will use with equal glee? Oops, we'll have laser knives ala Star Wars by then....

CI is stuck in a rut, but at least they admit there is better to be had. They should, if they even know about them (I doubt it), include knives like the Tojiros in the tests and include high volume kitchen line cooks among their testers, not just a bunch of TV/Magazine academics.
No argument, Buzz. I was just noting that there are knives available on the cheap that will do the job. I have had my T-I for more years than I like to count and they fit me like an old shoe, yet your other posts make me long to try some of the Japanese products. Thus far, though, it's "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."