"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 11-10-2008, 05:16 PM   #71
Executive Chef

I thought you already had a knife in your food processor?

Old 11-10-2008, 05:34 PM   #72
Chef Extraordinaire

Avoid a santuko.....?
I thought to someone like me, the santuko was similar enough to the Western (French?) chefs knife, and with just a subtle enough difference, that I might prefer one over the other. I think I'm still going to pick one up. With everything I've been reading I might prefer the thinner blade.
And BTW, not mentioned before, I have a Chinese knife (cleaver?). I bought it years ago, back when the closest city had a restaurant supply house and everyone was buying those hand hammered woks off of TV I should really start using it more. I always liked it because of the added height. That knife I held the blade, as shown to me in the store. I've tried the pinch grip on my chefs knives only recently and to tell the truth, at this point I have better control gripping the whole handle like I'm used to. I could see myself getting real comfortable with the grip of the forged Victorinox like I posted and like I think SSheppherd (sp?) also posted.

I must have gone through twenty sites this afternoon reading how to choose a kitchen knife

Thanks again jpaulg.

Whoops, edited to say I was confusing santoku with gyuto... sheesh. Maybe I should stick with western knives, if only because their names are less confusing..... lol

Old 11-10-2008, 05:48 PM   #73
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
I thought you already had a knife in your food processor?
thankyouforofferingyourhelpjeekinz
itwasaveryenlighteningpostandi'llbesuretoreferback toit

Old 11-10-2008, 06:40 PM   #74
Cook

regarding "damascus" cladding on blades-- it's purely cosmetic, and has no effect on it's cutting ability
Old 11-10-2008, 11:08 PM   #75
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShepherd View Post
regarding "damascus" cladding on blades-- it's purely cosmetic, and has no effect on it's cutting ability
I use both a "Damastahl" and a normal SS Scanpan knife, and the Damastahl knife is much better in terms of cutting and edgeholding than the regular SS version.

I haven't looked into the metallurgy behind the differences, all I was saying was that the Damscus steel Scanpan knives are much better performers than the regular SS versions.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:30 PM   #76
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
who only requires that the knive cut food and not be one with myself
LOL! You don't have to have a Zen relationship with your knife, just start cutting potatoes into French fries to tell the difference between a cheapie and quality knife. I have a Henckels Pro S 10" Chef's knife that I use for 90% of my tasks. I do take the steel to it, but not every time.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:52 AM   #77
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaulg View Post
I use both a "Damastahl" and a normal SS Scanpan knife, and the Damastahl knife is much better in terms of cutting and edgeholding than the regular SS version.

I haven't looked into the metallurgy behind the differences, all I was saying was that the Damscus steel Scanpan knives are much better performers than the regular SS versions.
It has nothing to do with the "damascus". The classic SS is made of the the same stuff from which most Germans are. Eg. soft, large carbides so won't take too good an edge, gobs of chrome, etc. The Damastahls are made of VG-10, also stainless but that's where the similar traits end. VG-10 is an EXCELLENT knife steel, will take a serious edge, and edge holding capability is very good.

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
buzzard767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:35 AM   #78
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaulg View Post

simple answer

the damastahl is a cladded knife with a VG10 core, similar to Shun.

Their classic cutlery is (from their site):
SCANPAN Classic Cutlery is fully forged from one piece of hi-carbon, no-stain steel, using 1.4114 x 45 Cr Mo V15 German cutlery steel for best performance.

the damastahl is harder than the classic line.

sorry, I wasn'y singeling out your post, just throwing something out there to think about when buying.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:44 AM   #79
Cook

lol...Buzz, i didn't see your post

sorry for the redundancy
Old 11-11-2008, 12:49 PM   #80
Senior Cook

Thanks buzzard and SShepherd, good info to know.

I should also admit that it took me half an hour to an hour of re-grinding the edge of the damastahl knife to take it from the factory edge to something I was happy with.