"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 11-11-2008, 01:09 PM   #81
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaulg View Post
Thanks buzzard and SShepherd, good info to know.

I should also admit that it took me half an hour to an hour of re-grinding the edge of the damastahl knife to take it from the factory edge to something I was happy with.

lets see some pics !!

Old 11-14-2008, 10:13 AM   #82
Chef Extraordinaire

Excuse the phone pic....
I don't know what it is, but holding this knife feels so different from one of my others. It's definitely light, but also feels very dangerous. I can't wait to try it out
I didn't know it came with a soft plastic sheath, so ordered a couple generic plastic blade protectors. No matter how carefully I try to put the blade into the plastic I end up with white "dust" on the blade. This baby is sharp for sure.
I gotta laugh at the instruction page that came with it. It looks to have some sharpening information on it because of the diagrams, but it's all in Japanese....... all except for Made in Japan and This warranty is only valid in Japan. Just enough english to tell you what you already know

The Tojiro Buzz recommended.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	knife.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	6055  

Old 11-14-2008, 10:26 AM   #83
Sous Chef

Nice looking blade you have there! That will keep the burglars at bay!
Old 11-14-2008, 10:30 AM   #84
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks, I love getting new "toys", which this knife definitely isn't.
I need some dinner ideas where I can use it for more than a couple cuts. I don't know if I can wait until Sunday's ABTs (lol).
Old 11-14-2008, 11:23 AM   #85
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I don't know what it is, but holding this knife feels so different from one of my others. It's definitely light, but also feels very dangerous. I can't wait to try it out
You were concerned about the handle. How does it fit? Be sure and experiment with both a full handle grip and a pinch grip. I switched to a pinch grip long ago as it gives me an increase in control. Not everyone feels that way however. It may seem better initially to use a full grip to feel the weight of the blade. Whichever you choose, keep the grip light and don't use any more downward pressure than required. Let the edge do the talking.

Buzz
Old 11-14-2008, 11:28 AM   #86
Sous Chef

I might add, keep your concentration. The blade can be made quite a bit more sharp but the DP's are fairly good right out of the box. Don't take your eyes off the knife when you're using it. Small diversions have cost me a few nasty cuts in the past. The good news is that the cuts made by a sharp blade are so clean that they heal more easily if that's any consolation.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:17 PM   #87
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Thanks, I love getting new "toys", which this knife definitely isn't.
I need some dinner ideas where I can use it for more than a couple cuts. I don't know if I can wait until Sunday's ABTs (lol).

How about a stir-fry? Thin slices of meat and cut up onions, mushrooms, red and green peppers, minced garlic and ginger. Plus you can use the tip of the blade to pry the lid off a bottle of beer to go with it!
Old 11-14-2008, 12:23 PM   #88
Senior Cook

Of the knives available at Knife Depot, my choice would be the Victorinox Forged Full Tang Chef's Knife Model: 41620 at $69.99.

I also recommend a quality, easy to use sharpening system. This one is very good and not too expensive: Lansky Deluxe Turnbox Crock Stick Sharpener LCD5D at $23.49. (you can buy it cheaper at Amazon).

Old 11-14-2008, 12:31 PM   #89
Chef Extraordinaire

The handle is nice. It's on the small side, which feels pretty comfortable.
I've tried the pinch grip earlier and didn't think I liked it, probably because I was more familiar with gripping the whole handle, but the other night I found myself using a pinch grip without realizing it until I had been cutting a while. So we'll see. I'm not looking to develop any crazy knife skills, just have a decent knife.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:34 PM   #90
Chef Extraordinaire

Actually Andy, I'm doing some painting right now. I was going to use it to open the paint can
That's a pretty good price on that knife Finca, if it's the one I was looking at earlier for around 100.