Looking for knife info. Be gentle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
I've been using my cheapo chef's knives and would like to invest in a slightly better quality one. One I would care for, but I would like to find one that doesn't need touched up every time I take it out. I merely need it to hold a decent edge for a non-chef type like me, who only requires that the knive cut food and not be one with myself or something I make a living with.

After going back through several pages here I think I am going to stick with a chef's knife rather than those santokus (sp?), but I'm not opposed to ordering of one those either, just to give it a try. I might even like it for certain things. Anyway, I Googled and came upon a knife site (knife depot) and by name alone, clicked on the Victorinox line. Something about Swedish made, so what the hey. I know it would be nice to hold the different knives and decide that way, but that's not an option, so online ordering from looks and rating alone will have to suffice.
So the one I was looking at "seems" like a good choice. And I did a cross-reference at Amazon and those users rated it high, then I noticed it had a twin, that one was forged.... which leads me to ask, what's the difference? Would I notice a difference? The forged one is obviously more expensive, so that would lead me to think it's a better knife, but would "I" notice a diffrence? Does it hold an edge longer, is it harder to sharpen? No idea here....

And I am not opposed to going to an entirely different line, but obviously all the choices can be a bit overwhelming. And I would like to stay away from wood handles.

Any advice or answer to my forged vs stamped (?) question?

Thanks

Generally forged are better than stamped for chefs knives if we are talking about your average mass produced kitchen knife that you are likely to find in big box kitchen store around the country. That is not to say that a stamped knife can not be good (or better) than a forged, but when you are talking about Victorinox or Wustoff, or companies like that it usually is the case.

You have been on this site for a while so you know all the main points bout buying a knife, so I will not bore you with those again. I would say, for what you will be using it for, you would be fine with either a forged or stamped blade. The stamped will probably be less expensive and lighter. So people like a knife with more weight while others appreciate a lighter one. My guess (and this is just a guess so I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong) is that a forged blade might hold an edge a little longer than its comparable stamped blade, but I doubt it would be enough that you would notice a huge difference.

I have no doubt that for your purpose, any of the known name knifes that you will see where you are looking will be something you will be happy with.

Good morning Pacanis. I am not an expert. I have Henkels. I have had them for over 10 years. I do steel them before use, most times. I do not have, but recommend, the pro S series. The reason for the recommendation is the handles. My set was a gift and has another handle that does not seem to hold up like the Pro S handles.

Like you, I am not emotional about my knives, I just want them to cut. they have done that for a long time, very satisfactorily.

As a favor to a fellow member of a business networking group, I bought a cutco vedgetable knife. I am not really happy with it. Maybe with a goos sharpening.

Just my 2 cents. Probably others will know more than I do.

AC

Go to a kitchen or cutlery store and handle some knives to get an idea of what you want. Then order online if the price is right.

Steels.... that is another mystery to me.
There was a time I used to collect knives, and of course my hunting knives always had what I considered a good edge, one that could razor cut a hanging piece of paper, so I'm not totally foreign to knives in general, but I do not understand how steels are used.... How does one keep that precise angle that is all important to sharpening a knife when quickly running it up and down a steel?

Well first off, you do not have to quickly do anything with a knife. I know you see people on TV doing that all the time, but that does not mean that is how it has to be done. Do it slowly. It is safer and you will be able to hold the angle better.

If you do not get the angle perfect it will not matter much. Just do the best you can. That being said, you are not looking for a knife that you can cut 100lbs of xyz a night. You are looking for a general kitchen knife to prepare your dinner and you are not super concerned about what they knife crazy guys are concerned about. Don't sweat the steeling. If you find the knife to be sharp enough for what you want and it cuts in a way you are happy with then you win.

GB, what does steeling actually do? I'm really totally lost when I see someone using one. I can't even tell which direction they are contacting the knife with the steel they do it so fast... Does it sharpen the blade, or maintain the blade?
Is the angle not as important when you steel, not as important as say, when you sharpen the knife using a stone?

Thanks

It does not actually sharpen the blade. What happens is that over time the sharp edge will fold or roll over. Picture holding a piece of paper and letting it droop over. The edge is still sharp, but it is not pointed in the right direction. Using a steel re-aligns it so that sharp edge is where it should be.

That makes sense, GB. Thanks. So I take it then that you drag the blade across the steel, rather than pushing it.

UB, I'm tired of disposable knives, that's the purpose of me wanting to buy something a little better. Not that you can never have too many broken knife/paint can openers lying around.... :wacko:

You want to basically take a slice off the steel. Put a kitchen towel down on a counter and rest the tip of the steel securely on the towel. Hold the knife and take a slice off the steel moving away from you. Go slow and just use the weight of the knife, not more pressure. Do it on one side of the knife then do it on the other side. Do this about 7 or 8 times and you are good to go.

You want to basically take a slice off the steel. Put a kitchen towel down on a counter and rest the tip of the steel securely on the towel. Hold the knife and take a slice off the steel moving away from you. Go slow and just use the weight of the knife, not more pressure. Do it on one side of the knife then do it on the other side. Do this about 7 or 8 times and you are good to go.

Oops, I was thinking just the opposite direction would uncurl the blades edge. Thanks. I've got a few steels laying around from various knife sets I've gotten. Might as well practice on my current knives before I get a better knife.

Pacanis, if you have any restaurant supply stores nearby, see if they are open to the public. See what kind of knives they carry, and how much they cost. If they have any F. Dick, or Black Diamond (made by F. Dick), those are usually the cheapest, German-quality knife you can buy.

I'm not terribly impressed with Santoku knives. They're to short for my taste, and that blunt tip isn't for me.

If I lived near you, I'd gladly let you cut through some meat and/or veggies with ALL of my knives, home and professional.

Rapidly running a knife up and down a steel is all for show. I don't run my knives that fast on my steel.

pacanis, i think i'm the only person who's ever bought OXO "professional" knives, but i love mine.

it holds a decent edge so long as it's steeled regularly, and most importantly, it just feels right in my hand.

oxo is famous for their "good grips" so check them out before you finalize your decision.

Cool vid, GB.

Sadly, the kitchen supply place that used to be reasonably close closed years ago. They wanted to start selling more major appliances and needed the room. It was a whole floor of kitchen tools, gadgets and small appliances. Like I said in my steak thread to Allen, since I don't have any knife skills, I'm sure I could get used to using whatever I decide to order. And living in the semi-sticks, that's a practical way for me to buy something anyway, but it sure is hard internet shopping without knowing exactly what I want.

Oh OK.... they weren't on the knife site I was on. I actually did look. Guess I'll open another window with Google.

Hey, they even have them at Kohls.... I have a Kohls semi-close AND a coupon!
I wonder if they have them out where I can see them?

Back
Top Bottom