Looking to buy a knife set

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zdawg

Assistant Cook
Ok I'm not really much of a cook but I think this is the type of forum to ask my question, I'm a single bachelor who is just looking for a simple, inexpensive (doesn't have to be the absolute cheapest ever made) set of knives for day to day use. My ex g/f swears by Cutco since that's what her mom has always used, but the prices are very high for knives that I won't be using that often, and I've read mixed reviews on them anyway. So can anyone recommend a decent set/brand to look at that won't break the bank? Thanks!

Your best bet is to stay away from knife sets and just buy individual knives as you need them. A set will come with a number of knives you really do not need. A chefs knife will do 99% of what you want to do in the kitchen. a bread knife and paring knife will do the other 1%, but really you could get away with using a sharp chefs knife for everything.

What kind of $ are you looking to spend?

I say if you are really set on the set, no pan intended. Wustof sells 2 piece set. A 3" paring knife and an 8" chef knife.

P.S. After you play with those two for a while, start doing what GB says, start buying knives one by one.

If you have a restaurant supply nearby pop in there, they have lots of good quality knives at very good prices.

Your best bet is to stay away from knife sets and just buy individual knives as you need them. A set will come with a number of knives you really do not need. A chefs knife will do 99% of what you want to do in the kitchen. a bread knife and paring knife will do the other 1%, but really you could get away with using a sharp chefs knife for everything.

What kind of $ are you looking to spend?

Probably around $200 or so I would think. Yeah I guess a chefs knife and a bread and paring knife sounds about right, I would also want eating knives for cutting steak, things like that when guests are over, I guess thats why I was thinking knife set. But you guys are right I wouldn't need a complete chef, maybe somebody if I learn how to be a cook.

For $200 you can get some really decent knives if you stay away from sets. For the novice cook who may or may not get more into cooking as time goes on you can get either Wustoff or Henckles knives and be very happy with them. There are other brands as well that are more and less expensive, but these two brands are generally very good to start with if you want something decent and don't want to break the bank.

check out madcowcutlery on line very good prices

cooks illustrated recommends the forschner "swiss army" line very economical and sharp!

No matter what chef endorses what product, they use a basic food service product line in their kitchens for sanitary reasons and for economics.

But if you want a mid price line, check out the F Dick 1905 series. Very nice.

I think that Forschner home version is now Victorinox. Forschner is reserved for professional versions of their knives. I like the rosewood handled version of Forschner. I believe that they have 3 knife versions of sets. All you really need. For me table knives can be less sharp, and I buy low medium quality serrated edge blades. '

You can buy Forschner on line. A good first choice.

I believe that Swiss Army is a trademark for Victorinox Multitool pocket knives.

Going from what you've written this is what I'd recommend.

1) A German Chef's knife. Without getting all technical about blade geometry and steel gradings, German knives are designed to be easy to use and maintain. I'm a big believer in larger 10-12" knives but go with what feels comfortable to you.

2) A paring knife. Any good brand will do. I think the French designs are superior, but for your usage you'll want a good small knife.

3) A good quality steel, F Dicks would be my go to manufacturer. Avoid the steels found in knife blocks as they are horrible. Avoid diamond steels they remove far too much metal. Learn to use the steel to keep the knife edge in good order.

4) A sharpening system you are comfortable with using. There is no point buying a good knife if you don't keep it sharp.

Some names I would look at for the knives.
- Henckell 4 star range
- Scanpan Damastahl range
- Solicut first class
- Wusthof Ikon range
- F Dick Premier range

If you have a restaurant supply nearby pop in there, they have lots of good quality knives at very good prices.

By far the best, but remember, VAT will be added to the total. However, the more you pay, the higher the quality, and Henckles and Wustoff though excellent are very expensive. I suggest you buy a diamond steel that hangs up.

Knives I recommend are an 8" cooks knife or a 10". The 8" is what I use in our commercial kitchen; a 4" general and if you prefer, a paring knife. The bigger the knife the more control you have.

Slightly off-topic, but invest in a good set of pans, the best knives you can afford and a good chopping block is all you really need. These are the foundation to any kitchen; gadgets mostly don't last long. For a road-going food processor, a Magimix 5200 is all you need. It will last you years.

For $200 you can get some really decent knives if you stay away from sets. For the novice cook who may or may not get more into cooking as time goes on you can get either Wustoff or Henckles knives and be very happy with them.

Like with any endeavor, a quality tool might encourage you to use it more often!

Another vote for an 8" Chef's Knife, a paring knife, a $5 serrated bread knife, and a steel for re-aligning your edges. To be honest, I prefer a super-sharp chef's knife over the bread knife, and reached the point long-ago where I choke up on the chef's knife and use it as a paring knife.

You can easily get these pieces for $200 or less.

Most important is that you go to a physical store and hold the knives. Make sure they feel comfortable - as the best knives are useless if you never use them due to discomfort. Also watch some videos on the proper use of a chef's knife - improper holding can lead to inefficiency and injury.

To be real honest, I would get an 8" Chef's Knife, a steel, and a 3-stone honing system for keeping your blade like a razor. This would probably run about $200 all together.

I'm a fan of Japanese knives, but if you're an inexperienced home cook that's not a food geek or knife nerd, Henckels, Wusthof or Messermeister will do you fine. If I'm only going to have one chef's knife I'd go with a 10". My recommendation would be this Messermeister Chef's Knife 10". If you're really more comfortable with an 8 incher, I'd suggest Messermeister 2 Pc Starter Set- you get an 8" chef's knife and a nice paring knife for a pretty good price. Of course, you can also get just the chef's knife and a cheap paring knife. The other knife I'd recommend is Kershaw Kai Shun Wasabi Black 9" Bread Knife. It has the same scalloped serrations as the much more expensive Shun line but it's only $35. I have two of them, one for my work knife case and one in case I lose the first one. It's that good. No need to spend much more. I like the Messermeisters best of all Germans because they don't have full bolsters. This allows you to sharpen the entire length of the blade, something which you can't really do with your stardard Wusthofs.

You can do 99% of all the cutting chores you'll ever face with those three knives. Toss in a peeler and you're all set. If you "catch the bug" and start cooking as a serious hobby you might want to add a few more knives (maybe for meat cutting and stuff like that) but those 3 will be a great start.

To keep them all sharp, I've long recommended the Edgemaker Pro set. It's very easy to use and will keep those types of knives good and sharp. The whole set is just under 30 bucks and will probably last you your whole life. You can even use the yellow "handy honer" to keep your bread knife sharp- that's one great thing about the scalloped-style serrations.

Last edited:
Yes, just three good knives are all you want, really. Not even a peeler because with a bit of dexterity, taters peel up a dream with a small 3 kitchen knife under a running tap.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom