"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-28-2010, 02:25 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2
Question Looking to buy a knife set

Ok I'm not really much of a cook but I think this is the type of forum to ask my question, I'm a single bachelor who is just looking for a simple, inexpensive (doesn't have to be the absolute cheapest ever made) set of knives for day to day use. My ex g/f swears by Cutco since that's what her mom has always used, but the prices are very high for knives that I won't be using that often, and I've read mixed reviews on them anyway. So can anyone recommend a decent set/brand to look at that won't break the bank? Thanks!

__________________

__________________
zdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:41 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Your best bet is to stay away from knife sets and just buy individual knives as you need them. A set will come with a number of knives you really do not need. A chefs knife will do 99% of what you want to do in the kitchen. a bread knife and paring knife will do the other 1%, but really you could get away with using a sharp chefs knife for everything.

What kind of $ are you looking to spend?
__________________

__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:52 PM   #3
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 8,404
I say if you are really set on the set, no pan intended. Wustof sells 2 piece set. A 3" paring knife and an 8" chef knife.

P.S. After you play with those two for a while, start doing what GB says, start buying knives one by one.
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:00 PM   #4
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,084
If you have a restaurant supply nearby pop in there, they have lots of good quality knives at very good prices.
__________________
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:10 AM   #5
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Your best bet is to stay away from knife sets and just buy individual knives as you need them. A set will come with a number of knives you really do not need. A chefs knife will do 99% of what you want to do in the kitchen. a bread knife and paring knife will do the other 1%, but really you could get away with using a sharp chefs knife for everything.

What kind of $ are you looking to spend?
Probably around $200 or so I would think. Yeah I guess a chefs knife and a bread and paring knife sounds about right, I would also want eating knives for cutting steak, things like that when guests are over, I guess thats why I was thinking knife set. But you guys are right I wouldn't need a complete chef, maybe somebody if I learn how to be a cook.
__________________
zdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:00 AM   #6
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
For $200 you can get some really decent knives if you stay away from sets. For the novice cook who may or may not get more into cooking as time goes on you can get either Wustoff or Henckles knives and be very happy with them. There are other brands as well that are more and less expensive, but these two brands are generally very good to start with if you want something decent and don't want to break the bank.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:52 AM   #7
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,655
check out madcowcutlery on line very good prices

cooks illustrated recommends the forschner "swiss army" line very economical and sharp!

No matter what chef endorses what product, they use a basic food service product line in their kitchens for sanitary reasons and for economics.

But if you want a mid price line, check out the F Dick 1905 series. Very nice.
__________________
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:48 PM   #8
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Richmond, Va
Posts: 1,229
I think that Forschner home version is now Victorinox. Forschner is reserved for professional versions of their knives. I like the rosewood handled version of Forschner. I believe that they have 3 knife versions of sets. All you really need. For me table knives can be less sharp, and I buy low medium quality serrated edge blades. '

You can buy Forschner on line. A good first choice.

I believe that Swiss Army is a trademark for Victorinox Multitool pocket knives.
__________________
Bigjim68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:07 AM   #9
Senior Cook
 
jpaulg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Posts: 208
Going from what you've written this is what I'd recommend.

1) A German Chef's knife. Without getting all technical about blade geometry and steel gradings, German knives are designed to be easy to use and maintain. I'm a big believer in larger 10-12" knives but go with what feels comfortable to you.

2) A paring knife. Any good brand will do. I think the French designs are superior, but for your usage you'll want a good small knife.

3) A good quality steel, F Dicks would be my go to manufacturer. Avoid the steels found in knife blocks as they are horrible. Avoid diamond steels they remove far too much metal. Learn to use the steel to keep the knife edge in good order.

4) A sharpening system you are comfortable with using. There is no point buying a good knife if you don't keep it sharp.

Some names I would look at for the knives.
- Henckell 4 star range
- Scanpan Damastahl range
- Solicut first class
- Wusthof Ikon range
- F Dick Premier range
__________________
jpaulg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:02 AM   #10
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
If you have a restaurant supply nearby pop in there, they have lots of good quality knives at very good prices.
By far the best, but remember, VAT will be added to the total. However, the more you pay, the higher the quality, and Henckles and Wustoff though excellent are very expensive. I suggest you buy a diamond steel that hangs up.

Knives I recommend are an 8" cooks knife or a 10". The 8" is what I use in our commercial kitchen; a 4" general and if you prefer, a paring knife. The bigger the knife the more control you have.

Slightly off-topic, but invest in a good set of pans, the best knives you can afford and a good chopping block is all you really need. These are the foundation to any kitchen; gadgets mostly don't last long. For a road-going food processor, a Magimix 5200 is all you need. It will last you years.
__________________

__________________
Linux is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.