Looking to buy a nice chopping-style knife for xmas...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think that European knife companies do tend to use their best steels in their forged blades, but Japanese companies don't necessarily have that tendency.

Darn internet:ermm:

sometimes it's difficult to convey what were thinking I guess.

Thats how it read to me, but no harm no foul.....:)

it's only the internet afterall;)

This is a girl I want to impress and hopefully date, after she dumps her current bf, mind you. :P

Looking for a good chopping style machete thingamajiggie, of this general form-factor:

http://www.chefscatalog.com/img/products/285x285/21752_285.jpg

Hope to spend between $100 and $200 (you can get a pretty decent one for that, can't you?)

Open to all suggestions - this is not my area of expertise.

Thanks!

-SFF

I suggest you find a cutlery shop, and if you like the santuko style, handle as many as they have.
Handles, weight, blade shape and thickness vary from maker to maker. Find the one that feels best to you:)

I was on one of the online Victorinox sites last night and they were including a paring knife with a lot of their knives.

The only caveat I put on it is that the edge is factory sharpened to a European style 22 degrees not a Japanese 16 degrees, but half an hour on a stone will fix that.

For the record, only Shun knives come from the factory at 16 degrees per side. It matches their electric sharpener. Most quality Japanese vegetable slicing blades are 10 degrees or less. I have a Takeda Gyuto that came from the maker about 6-8 degrees. Razor blades are 7 per side so you can see why some of us are so gaa gaa re: J performance.

I sharpen friends/neighbors Euro knives at 15 because that is all the steel can handle and still maintain any sort of longevity. Even at that, AS Blue Super, ZDP-189 and the like at 10 degrees will last much longer before resharpening is required.

Well....now that the OP is totally confused. :bangin:

hahaah! Indeed. I did the best I could with the advice I understood, and am happy to let it go at that.

Besides - everybody knows that angles are supposed to be measured in radians. :P

On the advice of someone in a thread here,(Possible knife bargain) purchased a Kanetsune laminated knife from SMKW. Ended up ordering all 5 they offered. So far, these have worked really well for me. They were sharp enough for me out of the box, and so far have not needed resharpening. For around $50 to $60/knife, this is a bargain. I use the largest gyoto by far the most, and would might not by a Santou again.

It's TRUE! He's a worthless mooch pothead. She knows I'm really much better for her. She's coming around to realizing this, and I need to drive the point home!
That sounds a little frightening considering the Xmas gift you are getting her... drive the point home... with a knife?!:blink:

Maybe try some flowers first.:flowers::LOL:

Oh gee. Am I being too hard on you guys? :rolleyes: Here's the simple version: 99% of all new knives come with rough, unpolished edges, even if it doesn't feel like it. The first time the knives are sharpened, follow the manufacturer's bevels so you can get rid of the results of their grinding wheels. Supposedly they have a reason to have beveled the blade the way they did. :question: Consequent sharpening sessions can be used to profile the bevel to something more preferable and hopefully more useful.

That sounds a little frightening considering the Xmas gift you are getting her... drive the point home... with a knife?!:blink:

Maybe try some flowers first.:flowers::LOL:

Hm. I hadn't thought of it quite that way, but I see your point (!)

Update: She LOVED the knife/book combo, and my plan for her affection is on track! woot!

Back
Top Bottom