"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 11-30-2008, 08:39 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Looking to buy a nice chopping-style knife for xmas...

This is a girl I want to impress and hopefully date, after she dumps her current bf, mind you. :P

Looking for a good chopping style machete thingamajiggie, of this general form-factor:

http://www.chefscatalog.com/img/prod.../21752_285.jpg

Hope to spend between $100 and $200 (you can get a pretty decent one for that, can't you?)

Open to all suggestions - this is not my area of expertise.

Thanks!

-SFF

Old 11-30-2008, 09:11 PM   #2
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherifffruitfly View Post
This is a girl I want to impress and hopefully date, after she dumps her current bf, mind you. :P

Looking for a good chopping style machete thingamajiggie, of this general form-factor:

http://www.chefscatalog.com/img/prod.../21752_285.jpg

Hope to spend between $100 and $200 (you can get a pretty decent one for that, can't you?)

Open to all suggestions - this is not my area of expertise.

Thanks!

-SFF

While it may superficially look like a chopping knife or cleaver, the knife you link to is actually a very delicate style of vegetable knife (nakiri) by Shun. While it's a very nice knife it's not really designed to chop stuff but rather to make very precise cuts.

I'm not entirely clear what you intend to do with the knife, or rather what she will use it for. For "chopping", depending upon what you plan to chop, I'd normally recommend a chef's knife or a cleaver. The former is great for almost all kitchen duties save delicate paring jobs and (arguably) cutting bread. The latter is good for cutting thru things like chicken with bones. A lot of people use lightweight cleavers for nearly all kitchen prep, btw.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:54 PM   #3
Senior Cook

I use a Scanpan Damastahl Nakiri chopper. I find it excellent for tomatoes and onions in particular and julienning in general.

It's the same excellent VG-10 steel with damscus cladding as the Shun, but you should be able to get it much cheaper than a Shun. Here's a link to a reputable Australian online store that has it for a price that should translate to comfortably under $100 US after shipping costs. Buy Scanpan Damastahl Knives Online in Australia and Save!

The only caveat I put on it is that the edge is factory sharpened to a European style 22 degrees not a Japanese 16 degrees, but half an hour on a stone will fix that.

The handle has very good ergonomics and the weight is balanced at the bolster.

If you're prepared to put a little love into it you'll be rewarded with an excellent knife that not only performs well but looks good too.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:57 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I think the OP is looking for a santoku.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:07 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Babcock View Post
While it may superficially look like a chopping knife or cleaver, the knife you link to is actually a very delicate style of vegetable knife (nakiri) by Shun. While it's a very nice knife it's not really designed to chop stuff but rather to make very precise cuts.

I'm not entirely clear what you intend to do with the knife, or rather what she will use it for. For "chopping", depending upon what you plan to chop, I'd normally recommend a chef's knife or a cleaver. The former is great for almost all kitchen duties save delicate paring jobs and (arguably) cutting bread. The latter is good for cutting thru things like chicken with bones. A lot of people use lightweight cleavers for nearly all kitchen prep, btw.
Cleaver!! I couldn't remember the word! hahah!

Yes, that's what I'm looking form.

I *did* say "that general form factor", of course, and did not say "I wanted one of *those* for chopping".

Thanks for being there to back-up my memory!
Old 11-30-2008, 10:09 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
I think the OP is looking for a santoku.
Oooh! Sort of a knife-cleaver mashup - I like it! Can you recommend any nice brand/quality examples?
Old 11-30-2008, 10:13 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Oooh! Sort of a knife-cleaver mashup - I like it! Can you recommend any nice brand/quality examples?
Any mainstream brand will be fine. Make sure it's forged steel. you may want to buy a shorter 5-6" santoku and a matching paring knife. My wife doesn't care for large knives.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:17 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
Any mainstream brand will be fine. Make sure it's forged steel. you may want to buy a shorter 5-6" santoku and a matching paring knife. My wife doesn't care for large knives.
This Wusthof seems to be a well-regarded example of a well-regarded brand, at a good price on Amazon:

Amazon.com: Wüsthof Classic 7-Inch Hollow Edge Santoku Knife: Home & Garden
Old 11-30-2008, 10:54 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
You are too funny!
Old 11-30-2008, 11:03 PM   #10
Senior Cook

I've found that Chef's knives do slicing better and chinese cleaver/nakiris do chopping better and Santokus are jack of all trades but master of none.

Of the Wusthof lines I like their Classic Ikon the best.

Keep an eye out on the international stores too. For example the Australian Dollar has dived vis-a-vis the US dollar, so whilst the Aussie stores are keeping their prices constant for the benefit of domestic buyers if you're buying in Yankee dollars you get a substantial saving.