"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 01-06-2016, 09:22 PM   #11
Master Chef

Andy, that looks just terrific! Make room for a Santoku, and it will be perfect!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:20 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I really like my magnetic knife bar. Had not thought of the magnetic tape, great idea! I may even have some in the craft room.
Be careful of the magnetic tape you buy. I bought some and a knife bar form Amazon. As luck would have it the bar came about an inch shorter than advertised, doesn't sound like much but would have made it a little tight for my use so it went back. The flexible magnetic tape was to weak to hold much of anything, they wouldn't or couldn't take it back but they refunded my money anyway, so I'm back at square one at the moment.
I did come across this, which I'm considering Amazon.com: Kuhn Rikon Knife Block, Clear: Kitchen & Dining

Old 01-10-2016, 05:17 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I don't know how "handy" you are but my first thought is that you could make your own knife bar using some easily available items.

I've solved a number of issues around our house using various strengths of neodymium magnets. They are readily available from Amazon.

My thinking is that you could determine the length of the bar you need and cut (or have cut) a nice piece of hardwood that size. Stain, finish, whatever, however you wish. Then, route a groove straight down the middle and epoxy the number of magnets you need for the quantity of knives you will be storing on the bar.

To mount the bar/rack, all you would have to do is to drill some pilot holes at each end to run some screws through into the wall or wherever you plan to store the knives.

Problem solved...and you created it yourself.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:36 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by flphotog View Post
Be careful of the magnetic tape you buy. I bought some and a knife bar form Amazon. As luck would have it the bar came about an inch shorter than advertised, doesn't sound like much but would have made it a little tight for my use so it went back. The flexible magnetic tape was to weak to hold much of anything, they wouldn't or couldn't take it back but they refunded my money anyway, so I'm back at square one at the moment.
I did come across this, which I'm considering Amazon.com: Kuhn Rikon Knife Block, Clear: Kitchen & Dining
That one not only looks unsteady, it doesn't look like it would accommodate either a Chef Knife, or a Santoku.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:42 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flphotog View Post
Sorry, I didn't check the Kuhn Rikon link. Just did and I have a feeling, like Kayelle, it might be top heavy. Not sure because I couldn't get a feel for it from the item's description. The one thing that gives me pause, is that the business end of the knives seems like they'd be enclosed and I'm not sure how that would be for incubating "nasties."
Old 01-10-2016, 09:48 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Sorry, I didn't check the Kuhn Rikon link. Just did and I have a feeling, like Kayelle, it might be top heavy. Not sure because I couldn't get a feel for it from the item's description. The one thing that gives me pause, is that the business end of the knives seems like they'd be enclosed and I'm not sure how that would be for incubating "nasties."
Why would it "incubate nasties" on a clean knife?
Old 01-10-2016, 10:05 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Why would it "incubate nasties" on a clean knife?
I'm just a little "type A" about clean stuff in the kitchen. My knives do not go into the dishwasher and I do my best to thoroughly handwash them. However, I don't know how others who use my kitchen treat the knives. Just my take on how I treat my tools.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:14 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
I'm just a little "type A" about clean stuff in the kitchen. My knives do not go into the dishwasher and I do my best to thoroughly handwash them. However, I don't know how others who use my kitchen treat the knives. Just my take on how I treat my tools.
I agree Katie, but other knife blocks have the same concern. I just think that particular one is a very poor design.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:42 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
That one not only looks unsteady, it doesn't look like it would accommodate either a Chef Knife, or a Santoku.
Yeah, I have some concerns about the design of that one too. I'm afraid that knives would wobble or maybe they will rest on their points, as well as looking unsteady.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:59 AM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
My knives are all hand washed as soon as I'm through using them. I never let any debris dry on them. I wash, dry and put them away promptly.

The same is true of most everything I use when prepping and cooking. Even something like prep bowls that could just as well go in the dishwasher. I figure that since I always have one side of the sink filled with hot, soapy water when I'm cooking, and there always seems to be a few minutes of idle time here and there, I might as well stay ahead of the mess.

Tags
knife