"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 09-24-2005, 04:34 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Magnetic Knife Holder

Hi,
I'm new here. I found a thread on magnetic knife holders, but there was no discussion on whether they were a good idea or not.

I'd heard they were a good idea because they were easier to clean than knife blocks, however a salesman told me that they were a bad idea since they can have a tendency to chip a knife when the magnet grabs the knife.

I'm looking forward to your opinions.

Thanks!
Paul

Old 09-24-2005, 04:45 PM   #2
Master Chef

My sister likes hers just fine. She hasn't said anything negative yet.
Welome to DC Raguncajun!!

Old 09-24-2005, 05:52 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I asked a "pro" about this and he uses several. I wish I could remember the name of the company but they do nothing but wooden things and they have a knife holder with the magnets on the inside - only wood showing.

But the pro says it is better than dumping your knives in a drawer - just be careful to pull the knife straight off of the magnets versus twisting towards the blade.

I wish I had a couple spots for some - maybe when we redo the kitchen I'll incorporate them into the plan.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 06:49 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

This is good to hear.

I received a metal magnetic rack for my birthday, but currently have no place to put it. I'll probably be moving in the next several months so I hope to have a spot in the new place.

FWIW, I keep my knives in the block except for my chef's. It's in a drawer, but it's in a "knife guard": http://www.acemart.com/merchant.mv?S..._Code=FOR47302; my block only has room for one "big" knife and the santuko lives there right now.

BTW, I love that knife guard for traveling with my knife. Not all of my friends have good knives and cooking at their houses can be a bit of a chore.

I appreciate the opinions!

Paul
Old 09-24-2005, 10:30 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

I've been using one for a couple of years. I like it and my knives are fine. Julia Child had a couple in her kitchen.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:05 AM   #6
Senior Cook

I love my magnetic knife holder. I got it at an IKEA store for $5. I bought a few extra for gifts.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:56 PM   #7
Head Chef

I wish I had one, but my wife has this idea that a kitchen should be a showplace, not a workplace, and knives hanging on the walls looks "messy". There are a lot of things I would change if I had my druthers....
Old 10-10-2005, 08:30 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Thumbs up Good Idea!

My instructor at my collage has one in the classroom and in his home, he loves it. Also a couple of my friends have one and I was planning on buying for me and my hubby for christmas. I love them. I think that it is a good way to store knives. I don't think it will chip your knifes, unless you maybe throw it onto the magnet. But your not supposed to be throwing knives around anyway. So anyway thats my opinion, I hope it helped. ALSO WELCOME TO DC, ITS A GREAT PLACE TO LEARN ABOUT COOKING.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:48 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

I have a magnetic rack which has a thin but hard rubber coating on it and it works fine for me. Can't remember make unfortunately but worth looking out for. One thing to be careful of is where you put it, all those nice sharp points waiting for unwary knuckles etc........ouch !
Old 02-22-2006, 11:48 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
I asked a "pro" about this and he uses several. I wish I could remember the name of the company but they do nothing but wooden things and they have a knife holder with the magnets on the inside - only wood showing.
Oh yeah, that would be easy. dh has made some for the chisels in his woodshop. As soon as we have a kitchen with wallspace, I will get him to make me a nice one.