"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 12-10-2007, 10:15 PM   #21
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
Why is that? I have several items that attach to my refrigerator with suction cups, and they stay put regardless of the amount of weight. In fact, they're better than magnets because suction cups will not slide down the side of the fridge.

Come to think of it, my radar detector, which weighs about 5 pounds, sticks to my windshield with suction cups, and it don't move until I decide to move it.
If your radar detector pulls the suction cup free from your windshield, you'll still be able to count to 20 with your socks off....

Never, ever put anything on a fridge magnet or a suction cup that you wouldn't want to fall on your foot.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:27 PM   #22
Assistant Cook

I was looking for the exact same thing for the side of my fridg. and I came across a wonderful solution which I intend to implement. Follow this link for the solution, inexpensive and safe:

Chirp + Chatter: How to be a Knife Ninja

Storing knives in the open air is much more hygienic that stuffing them in a butcher block for years. The side of my fridg. is very close to the counter top and is unused for storage whereas the narrow space between the cupboards and counter top is not wide enough to safely grab knives. I was amazed at all the unnecessary concerns and the idea of screwing it into the side of the refrigerator was obviously not workable nor what I needed.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:51 AM   #23
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBradley View Post
I was looking for the exact same thing for the side of my fridg. and I came across a wonderful solution which I intend to implement. Follow this link for the solution, inexpensive and safe:

Chirp + Chatter: How to be a Knife Ninja

Storing knives in the open air is much more hygienic that stuffing them in a butcher block for years. The side of my fridg. is very close to the counter top and is unused for storage whereas the narrow space between the cupboards and counter top is not wide enough to safely grab knives. I was amazed at all the unnecessary concerns and the idea of screwing it into the side of the refrigerator was obviously not workable nor what I needed.
I haven't logged into this forum for a couple of years now, but this reply showed up in my email today.

I just want to reiterate what an awful idea this is.

Gravitation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 11-21-2011, 08:05 AM   #24
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanKent View Post
I haven't logged into this forum for a couple of years now, but this reply showed up in my email today.

I just want to reiterate what an awful idea this is.

Gravitation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It is not a bad idea at all.

Magnetism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 11-21-2011, 12:49 PM   #25
Assistant Cook

Thank you GB, I can see you are capable of posting Wikipedia links as well
Most commercial kitchens use the magnetic strips for knife storage so I guess some would not feel safe in that environment. I, on the other hand, find it perfectly safe, sanitary and convenient
Old 11-22-2011, 02:43 AM   #26
Head Chef

At the restaurants I've worked at we don't put 'em on the door of the fridge, though!
Old 11-22-2011, 05:45 AM   #27
Head Chef

BTW, knives fall off the mag strips we use (at work) constantly. Most of the house knives have bent tips from this.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:26 AM   #28
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Babcock View Post
BTW, knives fall off the mag strips we use (at work) constantly. Most of the house knives have bent tips from this.

Does this mean you put your knives point down on the mag strip? I put mine point up on the strip.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:15 PM   #29
Assistant Cook

@ Rob, I am NOT PUTTING IT ON THE DOOR!! I am putting it on the SIDE. Did any of the negative replies read the solution allowing the magnet to to both be magnetized to the side of the refrigerator as well as to allow the knives to stay put?
Really, I just wanted to share a solution to a problem I also had and I made the effort to join this forum to offer a reply other than poo pooing the entire idea. So you can all you want, glad I made your day.
Tendering my resignation from this forum now.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:08 PM   #30
Assistant Cook

Send a message via MSN to rekonball
Even though no one wants you to skewer you toes, keep in mind that when you pull your knife off the magnet you might end up scratching your fridge with the tip of your knife I to thought this would be a good idea but ended up putting it behind my stove. Even though I have five knives behind my stove I know that my fridge would get scratched. If you have a stainless fridge it might not even stick very well. My knives are so sharp that I will not put them in my drawer.I the do fall they won't damage my floors either.Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1014.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	12452