"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 03-14-2005, 12:22 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Members Mark Discussion Continued...Cutlery

Anyone have any experience w/ Members Mark Cutlery? They seem like good quality, but I want some input before buying them (the set is around $100). As with the Members Mark cookware line, they seem like a good deal.

By the way, I started a thread a few weeks ago about said cookware, and decided to buy it. It was indeed a good deal--it is very high quality cookware and I am enjoying it immensely. I chose it (the SS version) over Calphalon Tri Ply (and perhaps All Clad SS, although I could never have justified that much $$ for cookware) and am very happy with my choice so far.

So, let's hear about the cutlery, and maybe you'll change my mind. I am really just interested in buying a few knives--I know 95% of the things I do in the kitchen require a chef's knife, a bread knife, and a pairing knife. The Sam's Club set comes with all of those, plus a Santouku (sp.?), a sandwich knife, and 6 steak knives, all in a wood block, which looks nice I suppose. But if this set is as good as the good brand names, I may get it regardless of the extras.

The link to the set is: http://www.samsclub.com/eclub/main_s...17%20&fid=1S12

Thanks!

Old 03-14-2005, 08:32 AM   #2
Sous Chef

I'm not familiar with Marks, but the last three knives I've bought have been Forschner. I really like them, and they are what I would consider moderatley priced.

Old 03-14-2005, 04:04 PM   #3
Master Chef

Glad to hear you got the cookware and you are enjoying it ... I thought you probably would.

The knives spec out okay .... forged not stamped, good quality steel, full tang, 3-rivit handles, etc. I'm just not impressed with the selection of knives. I would much rather see the set include a carving and boning knife than a set of "steak" knives. But, that's my preference. I use the carving and boning knives way more than I use steak knives.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:47 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

You said forged not stamped...is that a good thing? Stamped better than forged? Maybe I need a quick tutorial on what to look for in knives...thanks in advance!
Old 03-15-2005, 01:31 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to LeeAnn Send a message via Yahoo to LeeAnn
I'll be looking forward to reading more reviews about these knives also. I'll be in the market for a good set soon. We do not have Sam's club around here but do have Walmart, I'll have to do some calling around and see which stores carry this set of knives. We do not use the steak knives much either, but I have little kids so end up doing the cutting for them anyway. :)
Old 03-15-2005, 07:21 AM   #6
Head Chef

Forged is better than stamped. The Member's Mark set looks pretty nice, as far as I can tell- they're all riveted to the display board. Guess you wouldn't want someone to grab a display knife and hijack the store.:p

You can quibble with the included peices, but it looks like a good value for money. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the big players brands the knives for Sam's...
Old 03-15-2005, 08:53 AM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Babcock
Forged is better than stamped.
This is not necessarily alway true. A stamped fillet or boning knife can be just as good as forged knife. A knife where flexibility is a plus would work well as a stamped version.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:00 AM   #8
Executive Chef

You can order from SAM's online.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:28 PM   #9
Master Chef

I have had a Chicago Cutlery stamped chef's knife for about 20 years and it's still going strong. I use it just as much as my Wusthof stuff.

I think it depends on the quality of manufacture.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:06 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Just took a look at the cutlery set at the local Sam's. The Box says they're made in Brazil. I'm thinking they were probably made by Tramontina, better known in the US for their low end cookware and food service line of knives and utensils. Their Pro series cutlery, which is what these appear to be, is really nice. I've been using 8" and 10" chef's and 2 paring knives from this line for a couple of years, and am very happy with them.
If I needed knives I would jump on the set at Sam's.