Members Mark Discussion Continued...Cutlery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldhat

Assistant Cook
Anyone have any experience w/ Members Mark Cutlery? They seem like good quality, but I want some input before buying them (the set is around $100). As with the Members Mark cookware line, they seem like a good deal.

By the way, I started a thread a few weeks ago about said cookware, and decided to buy it. It was indeed a good deal--it is very high quality cookware and I am enjoying it immensely. I chose it (the SS version) over Calphalon Tri Ply (and perhaps All Clad SS, although I could never have justified that much $$ for cookware) and am very happy with my choice so far.

So, let's hear about the cutlery, and maybe you'll change my mind. I am really just interested in buying a few knives--I know 95% of the things I do in the kitchen require a chef's knife, a bread knife, and a pairing knife. The Sam's Club set comes with all of those, plus a Santouku (sp.?), a sandwich knife, and 6 steak knives, all in a wood block, which looks nice I suppose. But if this set is as good as the good brand names, I may get it regardless of the extras.

The link to the set is: http://www.samsclub.com/eclub/main_shopping.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&n=0&mt=a&coe=0&oidPath=0:-23541:-23967:-24050:-24084:867717%20&fid=1S12

Thanks!

I'm not familiar with Marks, but the last three knives I've bought have been Forschner. I really like them, and they are what I would consider moderatley priced.

Glad to hear you got the cookware and you are enjoying it ... I thought you probably would. :LOL:

The knives spec out okay .... forged not stamped, good quality steel, full tang, 3-rivit handles, etc. I'm just not impressed with the selection of knives. I would much rather see the set include a carving and boning knife than a set of "steak" knives. But, that's my preference. I use the carving and boning knives way more than I use steak knives.

You said forged not stamped...is that a good thing? Stamped better than forged? Maybe I need a quick tutorial on what to look for in knives...thanks in advance!

I'll be looking forward to reading more reviews about these knives also. I'll be in the market for a good set soon. We do not have Sam's club around here but do have Walmart, I'll have to do some calling around and see which stores carry this set of knives. We do not use the steak knives much either, but I have little kids so end up doing the cutting for them anyway. :)

Forged is better than stamped. The Member's Mark set looks pretty nice, as far as I can tell- they're all riveted to the display board.:mad: Guess you wouldn't want someone to grab a display knife and hijack the store.:p

You can quibble with the included peices, but it looks like a good value for money. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the big players brands the knives for Sam's...

Rob Babcock said:
Forged is better than stamped.
This is not necessarily alway true. A stamped fillet or boning knife can be just as good as forged knife. A knife where flexibility is a plus would work well as a stamped version.

I have had a Chicago Cutlery stamped chef's knife for about 20 years and it's still going strong. I use it just as much as my Wusthof stuff.

I think it depends on the quality of manufacture.

Just took a look at the cutlery set at the local Sam's. The Box says they're made in Brazil. I'm thinking they were probably made by Tramontina, better known in the US for their low end cookware and food service line of knives and utensils. Their Pro series cutlery, which is what these appear to be, is really nice. I've been using 8" and 10" chef's and 2 paring knives from this line for a couple of years, and am very happy with them.
If I needed knives I would jump on the set at Sam's.

Guys, trust me, the best bang for your buck is gonna be CutCo. No ifs ands or butts. Granted, everyone has knives that they adore, and I'm sure they do what they need to do and I'm sure they do it well. But if you want an investment, knives you're going to have for the rest of your life, knifes that have an infinite warranty on them, CutCo. is the place to go. They're the official tool of the Pillsbury bake-off, they've been featured on the food network, lifetime, cnnfn, cnbc, ****, even the price is right. If that doesn't sound convincing, ask someone who uses them, they're number one in North America for a reason.

-Pat

I am a retired meatcutter (40 + years) and love the Members Mark cutlery. If I had to break a side of beef I would pull out my scabbord and a 10" breaking knife, but the Members Mark knives work PERFECTLY for any home cutting you will do. Easy to sharpen (diamond steel and then regular steel) and stay amazingly sharp - good metal!
The Granton edge knife is one of my favorites. I'm still looking for a cleaver though. I taught retail meatcutting for 8 years (Cypress College, CA) and told my students about the story of a woman who asked the butcher to pound down some pork tenderloin with his cleaver. He said he didn't own one and as her eyes rolled, asked him "What kind of a butcher wouldn't have a cleaver?"
He suggested that she use a rolling pin, which caused her to lower her eyes and sheepishly admit that she didn't own one of them either.

Times change - and I still want my cleaver.

Would really like a Members Mark one.

Jim

I was looking up some information on the Member's Mark Knives that I saw in sams club today, actually trying to see if anyone had any problems with them rusting, as that is the problem I'm having with my current brand of knives. I stopped when I saw the post from "VM_Rep" (Vector Marketing)

At that point, I had to join this forum to make a few comments about CutCo Cutlery. The knives themselves may be decent, but the entire company is a scam. It scams college students and their families.

Want proof?
Simply google "Vector Marketing Scam" or "Cutco scam"

Or better yet, let me do the work for you:
http://consumeraffairs.com/news03/save.html
http://www.petitiononline.com/vector/petition.html
http://cutcocomplaints.blogspot.com/
http://www.theseahawk.org/media/storage/paper287/news/2004/09/30/News/Students.Unite.Against.Vector-735862.shtml?norewrite200611132016&sourcedomain=www.theseahawk.org
http://www.umsl.edu/~nki4z3/articles/vector.html

I normally don't talk badly about people or companies, but in this case, I felt compelled to spread truth around

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom