Mezzaluna Knife vs Chef Knife

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

popeye59

Assistant Cook
Never even heard of a Mezzaluna Knife until I happened upon a commercial with Giada De Laurentiis hawking her knife brand at Target. The question is, is a Mezzaluna Knife a suitable substitute for a Chef Knife, a needed addition or what?

Last edited:
I've tried one, but I prefer a regular knife. Chopping for me is faster with a regular knife.

I have both--I use my mezzaluna for chopping herbs. I did see a demonstration using one to cut pasta for noodles, but have never tried it. I sure wouldn't try some of the things I do with my chef's knife using a mezzaluna!

Never saw a mezzaluna like Giada's. We have a double bladed one with handles at each end and single bladed ones with one handle across the top. I like the single handled ones because they are easier to sharpen and leave one hand free to hold the bowl.

I had one of those double bladed ones my husband bought me, well intentioned (I'd asked for a mezulina and bowl, he thought he'd gone a step better). I think a single blade and bowl would have worked, but double? The herbs (I have a great herb garden) just got stuck between the two blades and I wound up spending a lot of time using a paring knife to scrape out the herbs from between the blades, and gave up on it.

I had one of those double bladed ones my husband bought me, well intentioned (I'd asked for a mezulina and bowl, he thought he'd gone a step better). I think a single blade and bowl would have worked, but double? The herbs (I have a great herb garden) just got stuck between the two blades and I wound up spending a lot of time using a paring knife to scrape out the herbs from between the blades, and gave up on it.

I have a single blade Ulu knife and bowl for herbs...it's perfect!

Probably would've been better off with a Slap Chop.

I was wondering if anyone else knew about the similarity between uluit (plural of ulu - I just looked up ulu on Wikipedia) and mezzalunas.

You should see the Knife catalogs that go through here. :chef: I just wish I could afford the ones I like the best.

I've never used one, looked at a few, laughed at the double blades marketed for cutting herbs.
Honestly, I think it's all a joke. Nothing a good sharp chef knife can't take care. I can't see myself getting one..feels like another thing to just take up space.

Back
Top Bottom