Most hazardous knife imaginable. Guess why.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daizymae

Washing Up
I ordered a Kuhn Rikon really sharp all-purpose knife for $12.45. (I can't afford expensive knives.) This has a 5" blade. I never thought much about the fact that both blade & handle are the same colour with the blade having a nonstick plastic coating to make the knife, at first glance, uniform from top to tip.

And there's the problem. Every knife I've ever used has a blade and handle of different colours, so it's easy, even from the corner of your eye, to pick it up correctly. The first time I used this damn stupid knife, I picked it up by the blade because handle & blade look so similar. I cut myself real good - and it has happened a few more times.

I've had to train myself to pay great attention just to be able to pick up this weapon of hand destruction. But when you are working fast in the kitchen, when you have lots of different vegetables to cut, when you have to empty your cutting board into the cooking vessel many times, then go back to more chopping - you don't want to have to worry all the time about something as simple as picking up a knife.

$12.45 + shipping - shot.

Thanks for listening. :mad:

Hi, Bucky. I did and it comes off in the wash. It is a matter of finding a tape that has the right colour + can handle repeated washings. Any suggestions? Strapping tape is no good because it is mostly transparent and you can still see the bright red handle. Thanks for your input.:)

You could try using a rubber coating dip like Plasti-dip.

Although, are you putting your knives in the dishwasher?

Oh, no, I wash it by hand. We don't even have a dishwasher. LOL. Poor as mice.

Don't know about plasti-dip but I will look it up!

I made it a rule for myself to never reach for a knife unless I was looking at it. Too easy to make a mistake.

I also have 2 KR knives. One white an one blue both have matching colored covers and smooth blades. Mine are easy to identify the handle.

I also have 2 KR knives. One white an one blue both have matching colored covers and smooth blades. Mine are easy to identify the handle.

&

But I have about 5 KR colored knives and it's very easy to identify the blade

https://s7d1.scene7.com/is/image/BedBathandBeyond/81540346112538p?hei=2000&wid=2000&qlt=50,1[/QUOTE]

Yes, I agree that if you are looking directly at them, purposefully, you can obviously see which is the business end. I wonder how many professional cooks, i.e., chefs, busy as heck, moving rather quickly, would agree to use a mono-coloured knife if it were otherwise good & sharp.

Not everyone has this problem with unicoloured knives; I recognize that. In 40 years of enthusiastic cooking, I've never had this challenge with a bi-colour knife. It's just me - I need a "traditional" knife.

Thanks to all for comments! :) I will try paint.

Last edited:
Go to your Dollar Store. Purchase an inexpensive bottle of bright red or any other color nail polish as Jennyma suggested. Paint one side in bright X's and the other side of the handle with wide stripes. Make sure the markings are wide enough so that you see them. You might also want to use two different colors of polish. Just not the color of your handle.

How about a permanent black/colored marker(s) or sharpie and go crazy on the handle with some art work.

How about a permanent black/colored marker(s) or sharpie and go crazy on the handle with some art work.

Good suggestion - but the handle is a particularly slimy, shiny type of plastic - and the "permanent" marker efforts last about 2 washings. I kid you not...it was the first thing I tried! :LOL:

Good suggestion - but the handle is a particularly slimy, shiny type of plastic - and the "permanent" marker efforts last about 2 washings. I kid you not...it was the first thing I tried! :LOL:

How about roughing up the handle with sand paper or a rasper first then color in the rough spots. Or just chuck it and get a new knife.

Back
Top Bottom