Most Highly Rated Gyuto Knife?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mylegsbig

Head Chef
Hey guys. Looking for a 8-9" Gyuto knife, japanese, that comes with GREAT reviews, and is handmade, and is EXTREMELY sharp.

Looking to spend max $250

Anybody got any reccomendations?

Sorry, MLB - if you're really looking for the Most Highly Rated Gyuto Knife and you're only looking to spend $250 ... well, Houston, you have a problem! That might you a good pairing knife - not a 8-9 inch chef's knife.

Unlike the German steel mills that mass produce knives ... if you're looking for really good Japanese knives - the really good ones - they are hand made by descendants of sword makers. Gyuto (which means "hard" in Japanese) knives are a totally different animal - plan on spending $400-$900 for 1 knife.

IMHO -Japanese knives are, and have always been, superior to German steel.

Last edited:
Legs,

In December 2004, the Los Angeles Times Food Section had an extensive review of Gyuto knives. I can't find it on their site, but this site has a copy of it:

http://www.danslacuisine.com/danslacuisine.cfm/Japanese-Knives/Articles-Blogs-And-Feedback/

The article liked four knives, and said this about the Hattori: "Hattori Damascus Gyutou Razor-sharp and perfectly balanced. This knife has a Damascus blade, made of wavy overlapping bands of metal (beautiful, but purely decorative) and a Western-style handle."

From the article, I ended up buying a Hattori 240mm knife. As I've told you, and as I think you now know, Hattori makes superb knives.

Try this site for good prices: http://www.youwantit2.com/INDEX.html Click on the "Hattori" link and scroll to the bottom for the kitchen knives. Better prices than World Knives, and fast shipping.

BTW, I just bought this Hattori collector's edition from uwantit2.com:

Last edited:
I got that hother hattori you reccomended and im gonna get their 8" gyuto now too.

I was VERY happy with the utility knife.

Thanks man!

Michael in FtW said:
Sorry, MLB - if you're really looking for the Most Highly Rated Gyuto Knife and you're only looking to spend $250 ... well, Houston, you have a problem! That might you a good pairing knife - not a 8-9 inch chef's knife.

Unlike the German steel mills that mass produce knives ... if you're looking for really good Japanese knives - the really good ones - they are hand made by descendants of sword makers. Gyuto (which means "hard" in Japanese) knives are a totally different animal - plan on spending $400-$900 for 1 knife.

IMHO -Japanese knives are, and have always been, superior to German steel.

i guess i meant most highly rated within my price range.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom