"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 01-12-2008, 10:59 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

Right now, my favorite is Lamsonsharp Silver Chef 8". I ordered a Gunther Wilhelm today and am looking forward to seeing the quality.

Old 01-12-2008, 12:10 PM   #12
Cook

Wusthof Classic....old school I suppose, but they work great for me...

Old 01-12-2008, 12:53 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by isharpenit View Post
Right now, my favorite is Lamsonsharp Silver Chef 8". I ordered a Gunther Wilhelm today and am looking forward to seeing the quality.
Seems a shame Lamson and Godnow isn't more appreciated. They may not have the best edge retention properties but they're easy to maintain.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:52 PM   #14
Cook

My husband makes custom knives and made me two knives for our anniversary a few years ago. I have to say they are my favorite not only because he made them but because they are super sharp and make cutting a breeze!
Old 02-16-2008, 02:18 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

My favorite knife is my Thiers Issard 6" carbon steel knife.

I have forged 6"-8"-10" knives, a santuko, plus my professional Forschner's, but the knife that I reach for at home is the French-pattern carbon steel knife.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:40 PM   #16
Master Chef

I have a lot of Chicago Cutlery. A lady at the Farmers Market once tried to get me to buy some Pampered Chef stuff but I could not justify the cost. I sharpen my knives before each use to keep a good edge on them.
I am, however, missing a lot of their more specialty knives and would like to pick some of them up.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:19 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Seems a shame Lamson and Godnow isn't more appreciated. They may not have the best edge retention properties but they're easy to maintain.
I find the edge retains it's sharpness extremely well. The chef see's a stone once or twice a year and is used daily on a maple cutting board. I use that knife for pretty much everything from cutting through bones, slicing, to mincing garlic. The whole edge stays sharp. This is my custom tailored collection. For now, they are stored on their sides in a drawer on top of a kitchen towel. I plan on making a holder out of wood that will keep the blades suspended.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:59 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Lamson sells and my 6" Chefs knife came with a nice poly blade protector case. The case is about the same weight material as the old flambeau cartridge boxes.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:22 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
I have a lot of Chicago Cutlery. A lady at the Farmers Market once tried to get me to buy some Pampered Chef stuff but I could not justify the cost. I sharpen my knives before each use to keep a good edge on them.
I am, however, missing a lot of their more specialty knives and would like to pick some of them up.
Don't know how Chicago Cutlery is now but I'm satisfied with my 25 year old 7" model 601S. Like you, I touch up the edge either before or after each use. Since it's a hollow ground knife, it's not the best for slicing but it's great for disjointing a cooked turkey.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:39 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

Chef Knife Recs?

I'm looking for a good chef's knife - interested in saving money - don't care how it looks but want it to work well. Any suggestions? I keep hearing about the Wusthof classic 8" chef but is it better to get it hollow edge (dimpled) or not?