"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 04-30-2008, 04:09 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterAtwood View Post
Lamson and Goodnow makes some really great knives. Few people know this but in addition to their terrific LamsonSharp line they also make the professional grade molded handle Forschners and also some of the Victorinox knives. They are America's oldest continuously operated cutlery and one of the oldest manufacturing companies in the USA period. They are a family owned business and their workers are union members. Really great people too all around. I heartily encourage cooks to support them and their great products.
I just performed my once a year stone sharpening on my 8" chef that gets used and abused daily. I even use the heel to open stock cans - lol. I love my Lamsons.

Peter, if you go back a page or so you'll se my collection.

Old 05-03-2008, 02:26 PM   #32
Head Chef

I adore the set of old carbon Sabatier knives I have collected over the years. They are the best knives I have ever used.

I bought every piece I could find and put them in this Sabatier store display case I found a few years ago. The cleaver I bought a couple of weeks ago.

But I also like the Wusthof Trident Classic knives I have found. This pounder is my latest Wusthof purchase.

Old 05-03-2008, 02:46 PM   #33
Sous Chef

Me three Leolady. I can't say that my vintge Sabatiers are the best but they work well enough. My favorite of the lot is this 11" pre-WWII beauty. When the light hits it in a certain way the patina looks like a rainbow. Although I love all my old Thiers-Issard Sabs, it's more fun to cut with knives that are capable of being more than twice as sharp like this 165mm Usuba.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11inchSaboldandnew.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	3956   Click image for larger version

Name:	UsubaSmall.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	3957  

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
buzzard767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:01 PM   #34
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Calliope
I looooove my Global!

I recently started using a Global 11" Chefs knife for most of my prep work after using a Wustof Classic 10" Chef for years. I could have never imagined what a huge difference there is in these two knives. You never really know until you use a knife for a shift or two, and I cannot get over how the Global has taken my knife skills to a new level. It is a completely different experience using it. I haven't even touched the Wustof since.

And I was happy to discover the debate about the Global handle is not really an issue for me. Feels just fine in my hand.

I'd love to hear from other Global owners what they do to keep that awesome edge on them. Anyone using the Global ceramic disc sharpener? How often do you find you need to use it instead of a steel?

Robyn
Old 05-09-2008, 04:39 AM   #35
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calliope View Post
I recently started using a Global 11" Chefs knife for most of my prep work after using a Wustof Classic 10" Chef for years. I could have never imagined what a huge difference there is in these two knives. You never really know until you use a knife for a shift or two, and I cannot get over how the Global has taken my knife skills to a new level. It is a completely different experience using it. I haven't even touched the Wustof since.

And I was happy to discover the debate about the Global handle is not really an issue for me. Feels just fine in my hand.

I'd love to hear from other Global owners what they do to keep that awesome edge on them. Anyone using the Global ceramic disc sharpener? How often do you find you need to use it instead of a steel?

Robyn
I too recently took a Global for a spin...

However, I came away with a new appreciation for my Wusthof "junk". Didn't care for the handle, as it just didn't work with my hand, and I quickly remembered that I prefer a full bolster.

To top it off, I couldn't put an edge on the darned thing without leaving a rolled burr. It might make it as a cabinet scraper, but the metallurgy just didn't impress me...

Of course a lot of our preference in tools is subjective, but I just didn't get on with it, so it went straight back in the box and is headed for eBay...

Thankfully there are a lot of great knives out there to fit our individual tastes...so ymmv...