My favourite Knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm looking for a good chef's knife - interested in saving money - don't care how it looks but want it to work well. Any suggestions? I keep hearing about the Wusthof classic 8" chef but is it better to get it hollow edge (dimpled) or not?

Hollow ground is up to you really, i dont see a point in it, but others swear by it. Whustofs are great, but if your planning on spending 125 bux on a knife, cutleryandmore.com has an incredible deal on Tojiro's 'Flash' line of knives. you can get a 7 inch santoku for 125 bux with free shipping. ive only been able to find them for sale on that website for the states, and the price is at least half of what all the UK sites are selling them for. I just picked up their 7" Nakiri from the same site for 100 bux and i love the thing. it comes factory sharpened at about 12 to 14 degrees and has a core of VG-10 steel wrapped with 63 layers of softer steel, using the same technique that was used to make samurai swords centuries ago. I highly reccomend them to anyone looking a new knife right now and is willing to spend 100 to 125 dollars.

Just to clear something up. A granton edge has the individual scalloped reliefs along the edge. Hollow ground is a sharpening method where there is a slight curve just above the cutting edge. Most sushi knives are hollow ground on one side to keep the slices from sticking to the blade.

DHolder_03B-w.jpg

Last edited:
Just to clear something up. A granton edge has the individual scalloped reliefs along the edge. Hollow ground is a sharpening method where there is a slight curve just above the cutting edge. Most sushi knives are hollow ground on one side to keep the slices from sticking to the blade.

Many Japanese single edged knives are not only hollow ground on the back (appears to be flat but is not) side but ALSO on the relief grind on the front side. :cool:

Absolutely right, Jeekinz, though I imagine the part of the blade covered by the granton is technically hollow ground if only for those isolated spots. That was my reasoning behind my "grantons are only really effective when they extend all the way into the secondary bevel"-theory. Still, "hollow grouond" in popular kitchen cutlery parlance definitely seems like a misnomer.

Last edited:
My favorite knife is my Thiers Issard 6" carbon steel knife.

I have forged 6"-8"-10" knives, a santuko, plus my professional Forschner's, but the knife that I reach for at home is the French-pattern carbon steel knife.

I'm with you on the carbon steel Flourgirl. I've a Sabatier Elephant Logo in 10" from the Canadian Massif manufacturers. At home, it's all I use - afraid to take it to work.

I'm with you on the carbon steel Flourgirl. I've a Sabatier Elephant Logo in 10" from the Canadian Massif manufacturers. At home, it's all I use - afraid to take it to work.

Canadian Massif manufacturers? Sab 4 Star Elephant is a logo owned by Thiers-Issard in Thiers, France. They might have imported the like Rowoco did.

Canadian Massif manufacturers? Sab 4 Star Elephant is a logo owned by Thiers-Issard in Thiers, France. They might have imported the like Rowoco did.

Yeah, sorry. The Canadian knife is an Elephant Logo and licensed by Thiers-Issard and made from historical high carbon blanks from Thiers, France. I believe that the Massif refers to the style of the blade. You can get the whole story through thebestthings.com.

Lamson and Goodnow makes some really great knives. Few people know this but in addition to their terrific LamsonSharp line they also make the professional grade molded handle Forschners and also some of the Victorinox knives. They are America's oldest continuously operated cutlery and one of the oldest manufacturing companies in the USA period. They are a family owned business and their workers are union members. Really great people too all around. I heartily encourage cooks to support them and their great products.

Lamson and Goodnow makes some really great knives. Few people know this but in addition to their terrific LamsonSharp line they also make the professional grade molded handle Forschners and also some of the Victorinox knives. They are America's oldest continuously operated cutlery and one of the oldest manufacturing companies in the USA period. They are a family owned business and their workers are union members. Really great people too all around. I heartily encourage cooks to support them and their great products.

I just performed my once a year stone sharpening on my 8" chef that gets used and abused daily. I even use the heel to open stock cans - lol. I love my Lamsons.

Peter, if you go back a page or so you'll se my collection. ;)

Last edited:
I adore the set of old carbon Sabatier knives I have collected over the years. They are the best knives I have ever used.

I bought every piece I could find and put them in this Sabatier store display case I found a few years ago. The cleaver I bought a couple of weeks ago.

img_599170_0_15b66c8c94dea8f52a4b2ef9e88de100.jpg

img_599170_1_da7b0d041c83c45c92738699702de58d.jpg

But I also like the Wusthof Trident Classic knives I have found. This pounder is my latest Wusthof purchase.

img_599170_2_9201818d6237a4e47863902d9f11c7f2.jpg

Me three Leolady. I can't say that my vintge Sabatiers are the best but they work well enough. My favorite of the lot is this 11" pre-WWII beauty. When the light hits it in a certain way the patina looks like a rainbow. Although I love all my old Thiers-Issard Sabs, it's more fun to cut with knives that are capable of being more than twice as sharp like this 165mm Usuba.

Attachments

• 11inchSaboldandnew.jpg
    11inchSaboldandnew.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 223
  • UsubaSmall.jpg
    UsubaSmall.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 242
I looooove my Global!

I recently started using a Global 11" Chefs knife for most of my prep work after using a Wustof Classic 10" Chef for years. I could have never imagined what a huge difference there is in these two knives. You never really know until you use a knife for a shift or two, and I cannot get over how the Global has taken my knife skills to a new level. It is a completely different experience using it. I haven't even touched the Wustof since.

And I was happy to discover the debate about the Global handle is not really an issue for me. Feels just fine in my hand.

I'd love to hear from other Global owners what they do to keep that awesome edge on them. Anyone using the Global ceramic disc sharpener? How often do you find you need to use it instead of a steel?

Robyn

I recently started using a Global 11" Chefs knife for most of my prep work after using a Wustof Classic 10" Chef for years. I could have never imagined what a huge difference there is in these two knives. You never really know until you use a knife for a shift or two, and I cannot get over how the Global has taken my knife skills to a new level. It is a completely different experience using it. I haven't even touched the Wustof since.

And I was happy to discover the debate about the Global handle is not really an issue for me. Feels just fine in my hand.

I'd love to hear from other Global owners what they do to keep that awesome edge on them. Anyone using the Global ceramic disc sharpener? How often do you find you need to use it instead of a steel?

Robyn

I too recently took a Global for a spin...:chef:

However, I came away with a new appreciation for my Wusthof "junk". Didn't care for the handle, as it just didn't work with my hand, and I quickly remembered that I prefer a full bolster.

To top it off, I couldn't put an edge on the darned thing without leaving a rolled burr. It might make it as a cabinet scraper, but the metallurgy just didn't impress me...:ermm:

Of course a lot of our preference in tools is subjective, but I just didn't get on with it, so it went straight back in the box and is headed for eBay...

Thankfully there are a lot of great knives out there to fit our individual tastes...so ymmv...;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom