"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 08-02-2015, 02:08 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I primarily use my paring knife for cutting the cores out of small vegetables.
Yup, I can relate to that. Or sometimes I have left a veggie or fruit in the fridge too long and just catch it and it will have a small spot or two that needs to be removed.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:04 PM   #42
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I don't think many young people have as much disposable income as they act like they do. Too many live with their parents because they're unemployed or underemployed and don't bother to save because they think they're invincible. And they seem to think they need to start out as if they're mid-career when they're not.

I still think starting with a chef's knife, a paring knife and a serrated knife is the best way to go, adding to the collection as needs arise.
I couldn't agree with you more GG.

If anyone of any age is prepared to buy a $850.00 knife set they need to get a reality check if they've never personally handled the knives. If they don't fit your hand right they're simply worthless

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:48 PM   #43
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I use my paring knife for....Lets see, picking out splinters, sharpening pencils when I can't fine the pencil sharpener for my eyebrow pencil, certainly not for paring. That's is what my serrated peeler is for. I have two paring knives. Dollar Store specials. Five for $1. When one gets dull, get another out of the package. I might use it to dig the eyes out of taters if the tip of the peeler can't get it. Oh yeah. I have used the parer to remove a spot on a veggie or fruit that doesn't look to healthy to me.

I think it is time to start telling new cooks that instead of a paring knife , to get a good peeler. I don't know of anyone who pares veggies anymore with a knife. To much waste.
I use mine for close in work on small fruits and vegetables, as well as opening the mail, and cutting the tape on Amazon packages.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:00 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
I use mine for close in work on small fruits and vegetables, as well as opening the mail, and cutting the tape on Amazon packages.
I have a knife that was a supermarket special. A knife a week. My granddaughter bought me the first one, (bless her heart) and I still have it. Great for reaching in back of me and scratching an itch, scraping anything stuck on the floor, and opening like packages. BTW, I told her to save her money. I didn't need any new knives. Now that she is older she realizes why I didn't want anymore supermarket specials. And she is surprised that I still have that one and only.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:35 AM   #45
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
...I think it is time to start telling new cooks that instead of a paring knife , to get a good peeler. I don't know of anyone who pares veggies anymore with a knife. To much waste.
Although I don't use it to peel fruits or veggies, I DO use my Zwilling paring knife for at least half of my knife work. It feels good in my hand, it maneuvers just right as I move it, and it cuts like a hot blade through butter. "Paring knives" can be useful for so much more than paring. Actually, the only time I pare something with it is when I make apple pie. I like to see how much of the apple I can peel in one continuous piece. Sometimes I like to play games when I work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
If anyone of any age is prepared to buy a $850.00 knife set they need to get a reality check if they've never personally handled the knives. If they don't fit your hand right they're simply worthless
+1 How it feels in the hand is just as important as how good of an edge it holds.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:41 AM   #46
Certified Pretend Chef

I have quality knives and they are sharp. SO uses a cheap serrated steak knife for just about everything. Well, not everything. Sometimes she uses a table knife when a cheap serrated steak knife is the better choice.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:51 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I have quality knives and they are sharp. SO uses a cheap serrated steak knife for just about everything. Well, not everything. Sometimes she uses a table knife when a cheap serrated steak knife is the better choice.

I use a cheap, serrated steak knife for cutting tomatoes when I don't feel like getting a good knife dirty.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:26 AM   #48
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the help everyone! I have reduced my budget significantly since my original post and will take it slow and go with the suggestions made here and on other forums to start out with a few essentials knives. I am a sucker for looks and while I am now aware that putting together a custom set from different manufacturers is ideal, I would love for all of the knives to match but I'm slowly letting go of that idea. Right now I am thinking of starting out with a chef's knife, pairing, maybe a utility knife and a bread knife. I do also want 6 steak knives.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:45 AM   #49
Master Chef

Yardley, if you store them in a drawer in a flat knife tray you won't notice the handles as much.

I do suggest that you check out Rada knives. I have bought several the last couple of years and find them all to be great, both on price and function. I don't know if you would find them by you. They actually seem to be available in touristy type locations. If you can't find a location near to you here, you do have the option of ordering online. FWIW, I'm a female with size 7 1/2 hands with some arthritis. Even though the handles are made of metal, they all feel good in my hand.

Happy shopping and chopping!
Old 08-05-2015, 01:52 AM   #50
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Yardley, if you store them in a drawer in a flat knife tray you won't notice the handles as much.

I do suggest that you check out Rada knives. I have bought several the last couple of years and find them all to be great, both on price and function. I don't know if you would find them by you. They actually seem to be available in touristy type locations. If you can't find a location near to you here, you do have the option of ordering online. FWIW, I'm a female with size 7 1/2 hands with some arthritis. Even though the handles are made of metal, they all feel good in my hand.

Happy shopping and chopping!
I'll have to look into a flat knife tray but I don't have tons of drawer storage. For chefs knives I've been recommended to look at the following:

MAC Professional 9-1/2 inch Chef's Knife (MBK-95)
Masamoto VG 240 mm gyuto
Hiromoto 240 mm AUS-10 gyuto

Tags
knife