"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 07-31-2015, 11:58 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

My first quality knife set

Hi all, I'm in the market for a quality knife set, I've inly owned cheap sets in the past. I'm considering a 17 piece Wusthof Classic Ikon set with a selling price of $860 or possibly a little less. Was wondering if this is a good set and a good price. In my brief research I've read that Wusthof prices tend to be high, but the price above isn't retail so I'm wondering if this is as cheap as it's going to get, or can I find a set from another brand that is just as good and possibly cheaper?

Old 07-31-2015, 12:19 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Hi Yardley, welcome to DC.

You don't need a huge set of knives.

First of all, make a list of the knives you use most. There are probably only 2 or 3. That's what you should buy. Perhaps there are a couple of knives you use regularly but not as often and the first group. You could get those as well or keep them in mind for a future purchase.

Wusthof's top lines of knives are very good. You won't be disappointed. There are many other good brands you can choose from as well.

Search out a cutlery store and go handle some knives. The first test is that they are comfortable in your hand. Then make buying decisions.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:27 PM   #3
Master Chef

Andy's right. Most competent home cooks only need a few knives.

A paring knife. A chef's knife. A serrated bread knife. Maybe a couple of the first two. Make sure you get a steel, too.

Then add knives one by one as you develop a need -- like a boning knife or a cleaver.

A 17 knife set is knife overkill, IMO.

Wusthof makes good knives, particularly their higher end ones.

But knives are like shoes -- they need to really fit and feel good in your hand or you'll regret your purchase. Make sure to try before you buy a good knife.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:48 PM   #4
Sous Chef

what they said - especially "try the handles" - everyone's hands are different sizes / finger length / etc. some people prefer a rounder vs a flatter/rectangular shape.

I suspect some of the 17 pcs are steak knives? skip those - get a set of fine serrated for steak knives. a smooth edge and china plates do not play well together.

and get a wooden cutting board along with a steel. and figure eventually about $100+/- for something like the EdgePro sharpening system.

my Wuesthof Classic pcs date from the mid-80's. the 8" chef and 7" santuko are my workhorse - DW uses the paring knives time to time - I rarely use them.

the bread knife - get a 10" - they call it a SuperSlicer - #4517 - hard to find; you'll probably gave to special order it.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:27 PM   #5
Head Chef

I'll side with the above posters.

Knife set's are all well and good but I think you'll find many will be rarely used.

I can't help you with brands because most of my favorites are no-name generic knives.

They fit my hands and preform the tasks asked of them.

Learn to sharpen them. That's more important to me then anything.

Better steel will hold an edge longer but as long as it's sharp and you know how to make it so then it's no big deal to show it a stone every so often.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:22 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardley View Post
Hi all, I'm in the market for a quality knife set, I've inly owned cheap sets in the past. I'm considering a 17 piece Wusthof Classic Ikon set with a selling price of $860 or possibly a little less. Was wondering if this is a good set and a good price. In my brief research I've read that Wusthof prices tend to be high, but the price above isn't retail so I'm wondering if this is as cheap as it's going to get, or can I find a set from another brand that is just as good and possibly cheaper?
Welcome to DC! I'm with the others. Instead of a set, get a couple that you know you use a lot, and take care of them - keep them honed with a good steel, sharpen them only when necessary, and hand wash and store in a good block. I like Wusthof - I have 3 of their Classic series, a 6" and 10" chef, and a 5" boning knife. My 2" paring and 3" utility knives are some older Chicago Cutlery that I got when my mother passed away, and they are nearly as good as the Wusthof when taken care of properly.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:38 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Welcome to DC! What else is there to say about knives.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:42 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

I've had a couple of different knife blocks and I don't like them. A dozen years ago, I bought a magnetic knife bar which I installed on the wall at my primary prep area. I love it and highly recommend it.

This is not mine, just a random image to give you the idea.
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2015, 03:12 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

What they said About the knife block, though - I don't have space between my upper cabinets and backslash for a magnetic holder, so I bought a Henckels knife block that holds the knives on their sides rather than the edges. This prevents the block from dulling the sides.
Old 07-31-2015, 04:31 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
What they said About the knife block, though - I don't have space between my upper cabinets and backslash for a magnetic holder, so I bought a Henckels knife block that holds the knives on their sides rather than the edges. This prevents the block from dulling the sides.
That's what I have too and I like it. Stirling already had it when I moved in, so I didn't need something else. I don't think I would have the space for a magnetic holder either.

Tags
knife