"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 07-07-2008, 12:16 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Hi Rob & Buzz, good to see you out spreading the word about fine cutlery. Looks like a nice little sub forum here so I thought I'd join up and say "Hi".

--Dave--

Old 07-07-2008, 01:43 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Hi Dave. My GlassStones arrived yesterday. ;-)

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
buzzard767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:44 PM   #13
Head Chef

Hi, Dave. Good to see you 'round these parts. The level of knife knowledge & discussion here is a lot lower than at your regular haunts, but the site will benefit greatly from your input.

Btw, I've pretty much retired my ceramic hones after getting my HA glass one from you.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:45 PM   #14
Head Chef

I am one of those "lot lowers". Glad to have you around. I'm here to learn. Hope you like to answer dumb questions with smart answers. I am a total newbie to Japanese knives. Up to now, more questions than answers.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:59 PM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

Another welcome from another knife dummy. I know enough to know I really don't know much. I told my wife the other day that at some point I will be getting a new (Japanese) knife. She was not happy with that, but she will deal. When the time comes I will have lots of questions.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:12 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
When the time comes I will have lots of questions.
It's about 99% that if Dave, Rob, or I can't answer a question on J knives we'll know where to go and find out.

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
Old 07-08-2008, 08:13 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

Hi everyone and thanks for the welcome. I can see already this is a nice friendly community.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask. I don't mind PM's or emails but sometimes it's best to post a thread so everyone can learn, including me.

--Dave--
Old 07-09-2008, 10:26 AM   #18
Head Chef

OK guys, your first questions. In doing quick research before buying my J knives, which I understand was your recommendation (SMKW Kanetsunes), I noticed that the steel in many of the Damascus knives from Seki was listed as pretty much the same i.e. VG 10 with softer steel exteriors. Do these manufacturers use steel from a single source, or is the steel fabricated in house. Not that it would make much difference to me, just curious. Secondly, mine have 32 outer layers. It seems to me it would make very little difference in the quality whether a few or a lot of layers. Enough to protect the VG 10 seems to me to be enough.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:01 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
Do these manufacturers use steel from a single source, or is the steel fabricated in house. Not that it would make much difference to me, just curious.
In house? VG-10 was designed by Takefu Special Steel Company and I believe has to be purchased from them. The knife manufacturers can heat treat as they like but duplicating the steel might be A) too difficult, and B) a violation of Japanese and International patent law.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:07 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
OK guys, your first questions. In doing quick research before buying my J knives, which I understand was your recommendation (SMKW Kanetsunes), I noticed that the steel in many of the Damascus knives from Seki was listed as pretty much the same i.e. VG 10 with softer steel exteriors. Do these manufacturers use steel from a single source, or is the steel fabricated in house. Not that it would make much difference to me, just curious. Secondly, mine have 32 outer layers. It seems to me it would make very little difference in the quality whether a few or a lot of layers. Enough to protect the VG 10 seems to me to be enough.

VG10 is a proprietory steel that's purchased by many knifemakers but WITHIN Japan only. The heat treatment of the knives will be different so it's not easy to compare one VG10 knife with another.

The layered issue is all about looks - the more layers - the better the looks. OK maybe there's more to it but I'm doubting that's the case.

--Dave--