"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2018, 03:24 AM   #1
Senior Cook

My new chopper setup

Iíve been in Thailand for the past 3 months and saw some heavy cleavers down at the weekend market, decided to buy one and a chopping block. Itís a super heavy cleaver with a thick 3/16Ē spine that should easily chop through bone, chopping block is also very heavy and made out of very dense tamarind wood, $6 for the cleaver and $3 for the block. I have a cleaver back at home but itís wimpy compared to this heavy beast, I will relegate the cleaver at home to a slicing cleaver and let this thing do my chopping.

When I got back to the house I googled the brand name aranyik and found that they are hand hammer forged in a small village just north of me, although crude looking they say the quality is very good andv I see the cleavers selling online for $35 and the blocks for $45, gonna go back this weekend to grab a few more pieces before coming home next week.

97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:28 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Wow, nice. Looks like you're having a great trip.

Do you know what those curvy knives in the middle row are used for?

Old 10-01-2018, 04:40 PM   #3
Senior Cook

I think they’re used for harvesting rice and cutting grass
97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:54 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97guns View Post
I’ve been in Thailand for the past 3 months and saw some heavy cleavers down at the weekend market, decided to buy one and a chopping block. It’s a super heavy cleaver with a thick 3/16” spine that should easily chop through bone, chopping block is also very heavy and made out of very dense tamarind wood, $6 for the cleaver and $3 for the block. I have a cleaver back at home but it’s wimpy compared to this heavy beast, I will relegate the cleaver at home to a slicing cleaver and let this thing do my chopping.

When I got back to the house I googled the brand name aranyik and found that they are hand hammer forged in a small village just north of me, although crude looking they say the quality is very good andv I see the cleavers selling online for $35 and the blocks for $45, gonna go back this weekend to grab a few more pieces before coming home next week.

Will you get them through customs when you go back home? We don't want to have to be sending you home-made lemon drizzle cakes and ginger biscuits while you're in "clink"
Old 10-01-2018, 07:16 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Choppers, dentures. You're probably a little young for new choppers. So am I and I'm twice your age.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:48 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I can use a setup like that for dicing meat on Taco Tuesdays!
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:06 PM   #7
Master Chef

Cool

Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote