"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 02-12-2007, 10:27 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Ahh, never got to it. Didn't think it too far thru. I'm not sure where the nearest fresh fish market is (and I live near the water ).

I did make one heck of a stir fry. My GF's mom has a flat bottom wok and I used it to cook. I put water chestnuts, small baby carrots, baby corn, brocolli(sp), snap peas (which weren't all that good, IMO), and about 1.15 pounds of beef sirloin tips. I was great. I got pork tenderloin in the freezer I need to find something to do with.

As far as the sushi goes, we picked some up at the store. The soy sauce was the most salty thing I have ever tasted and I'm one who likes salty foods and I think it may have been the nori, but there was something I didn't like the taste of. I loved the sashimi when we got some late time. My GF was looking out for my wallet and said, it's cheaper to just go out and buy it than make it at home.

Old 02-14-2007, 04:30 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

Soy sauce salty no never, it varys from brands well i can't say if it was the nori or not its not useally salty but who knows maybe next time don't add the soy sauce or use your own if at home. As for price over here in Australia both are expensive except with one you don't have to do any except enjoy :).

Old 02-14-2007, 03:23 PM   #13
Senior Cook

I just re-read my post, I need to work on some punctuation. LOL!

The soy sauce was very salty. As for the sushi itself, there was something that seemed to have a weird taste. It may have been the fish being it's one of those pre-packaged deals and who knows how fresh the fish was. The nori definatly seemed to have a distinct taste, but I understand there are many grades of nori.

I'm gonna try it again, but at the good sushi/sashimi resturant near us.

I'm not gonna make an assumtion on how much or little I like it without trying the good stuff. We all know, no matter what you get, if it's pre-packaged, it sucks! LOL!
Old 02-14-2007, 03:28 PM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch
We all know, no matter what you get, if it's pre-packaged, it sucks! LOL!
Exactly. Judging sushi by eating the pre-packaged stuff is like judging hamburgers by going to McDonalds. They might be good for what they are, but they are not the true measure of what those foods are.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:50 PM   #15
Senior Cook

The fish itself had a pungent smell. I know tuna normally has a strong fishy odor to it, but this was a little more than what I remember from the sashimi tuna we had at my GF's Bday and the salmon did not taste well either. The wasabi kicked some serious taste buds tho! WOOHOO!!!! I put some, about the size of my pinky nail on a sushi roll about the width of a quarter and about an inch tall. It fell off and was the first thing to hit my tongue and it got squished under the sushi and spread all over my tongue. I must admit, it hit me a little harder than I expected, but I liked it. He-he-he!

I bought one of those squeeze bottles of wasabi paste and they put entirely too much vinagar in it. it had no bite at all and I was very disappointed.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:55 PM   #16
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch
I know tuna normally has a strong fishy odor to it
This is only true if the tuna has gone bad. Tuna is one of the freshest cleanest smelling fish there is. Tuna should not have a strong fishy odor at all.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:24 PM   #17
Executive Chef

go for it! do not start with canned fish...maybe some smoked salmon or tuna (cheaper to start with, but very fine taste) and when you learn to deal with eel, let me know...I love the stuff!
Old 02-14-2007, 04:43 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
go for it! do not start with canned fish...maybe some smoked salmon or tuna (cheaper to start with, but very fine taste) and when you learn to deal with eel, let me know...I love the stuff!
Yeah, screw eel and squid and octopus and muscles too!
Old 02-18-2007, 11:59 PM   #19
Cook

An inexpensive way to practice is vegie rolls. And use your new knives to practice your cuts..

You might try the low sodium soy sauce. It is much better. You can taste the flavor without too much salt. Still salty though.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:42 PM   #20
Senior Cook

^ Thanks man! I'll try that.