My sharpening paraphernalia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nice sharpening setup:)

I think owning a knife is just like any other tool..a person should atleast know how to maintain it themself. Sharpening a knife is just something that takes some practice, if you're going to 1k and find that works for the work you do..excellent.
I just herd from a knifemaker that he only sharpens to 120grit, then strops:ohmy:, that a little course for my tastes, but his customers must be ok with it. I made a 10" yanagi a few months back for a local sushi chef, and I hand sharpened that sucker on my 6k stone...I thought it could split atoms, just to find out he took it home and spent an hour sharpening it himself to 10k:shock:

As I said before, I think alot of it is guilding the lily. 6K on a cooks knife?....OK, maybe if I had some time to kill. Woodworking and carving tools need to cut much denser and fibrous materials....WOOD..so they get the star treatment. If I bought say a sushi knife that was already polished then I would retain that look or quality of edge. But Tuesday nights Chicken Surprise dinner will not be reflected by what edge I'm using.

Yeah, stroping after 120.....he must go through alot of compound. lol

As I said before, I think alot of it is guilding the lily. 6K on a cooks knife?....OK, maybe if I had some time to kill. Woodworking and carving tools need to cut much denser and fibrous materials....WOOD..so they get the star treatment. If I bought say a sushi knife that was already polished then I would retain that look or quality of edge. But Tuesday nights Chicken Surprise dinner will not be reflected by what edge I'm using.

Yeah, stroping after 120.....he must go through alot of compound. lol

like I was saying..different strokes fro different folks (pun intended):ROFLMAO:
Japanese are very fanatical about their edges. Delicate cuts for some sashimi require an insanely sharp knife or it risks tearing the fish. They go so far as to say, " A dull knife makes bad tasteing food" I think that has alot to do with texture possably.
I know a chef in california, who works with some of the top chefs in the country, that swears my the sharpest knife he can have. He sharpens his way to wearing out a $300 knife once a year, just to make sure he is slicing herbs, insted of crushing and bruising them.
Yes, japanese woodworkers sharpen their chisels to the same extreme, you can't compare a chisel to a kitchen knife though..different geometry, even if sharpened to the same level. A yanagi would cut a mortise and tennon about as well as a chisel would debone a chicken;)

Japanese are very fanatical about their edges. Delicate cuts for some sashimi require an insanely sharp knife or it risks tearing the fish. They go so far as to say, " A dull knife makes bad tasteing food" I think that has alot to do with texture possably.
I know a chef in california, who works with some of the top chefs in the country, that swears my the sharpest knife he can have. He sharpens his way to wearing out a $300 knife once a year, just to make sure he is slicing herbs, insted of crushing and bruising them.
Yes, japanese woodworkers sharpen their chisels to the same extreme, you can't compare a chisel to a kitchen knife though..different geometry, even if sharpened to the same level. A yanagi would cut a mortise and tennon about as well as a chisel would debone a chicken;)

The Japanese aren't the only fanatics...

img_699759_0_f7d34900d411883b786ee04acf3f1fd5.jpg

EdgePro, Shapton GlassStones, Hand American Scary Sharp System, chromium oxide, diamond spray, etc., and this is just the stuff I took to my summer place.

I love sharp! Really, REALLY sharp.

Hey Jeek...that's a real nice set up you have there! Lots of clamps....I love clamps, can't have to many.

My shop is in a round top shed. Mostly metal work....like a farm shop would be. I have some woodworking tools, mostly for rough type work around the farm.

Your stuff is a lot more organized than mine will ever be.

Back
Top Bottom