My sharpening paraphernalia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeekinz

Washing Up
Most of it is for my shop tools but it comes in hands with my kitchen knives. I can pretty much use that 3 stone set on the left for anything in my knife drawer. If an edge, get's too out of whack I'll straighten it out on the sharpening station. Then finish it off with the stones.

img_698914_0_c103663159ce37a88b4975e8c1202fed.jpg

img_698914_1_3b7527848e8a9540aed5b9ea2eb4372e.jpg

My knife sharpening paraphernalia.
If I can't sharpen using that, I go online and order some more cheap knives.
:LOL:

Nice setup, Jeeks.

Attachments

• cheap sharpener.jpg
    cheap sharpener.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 210
What brand is that one Pacanis? Every one I try it sounds like it's grinding half my knife away.

Looks like nice cabinet grade birch? for the base on your belt drive grinding rig.
Interesting variety of extensions for your table saw.
Maybe you could tell us more about the bench stones?
Are the King stones available in 12" length?
If so, would purchase of same require a home equity loan?
The pink / reddish-brown stone looks like it might be kinda soft?

What brand?
:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL: You'll have to ask Ron Popeil. His brand I guess. I got it with one of his do-all knife sets where you order one knife that doesn't work, and get 80 more free that collectively work slightly better :LOL: I stuck it in my drawer along with the marinader and a bunch of other stuff I'll never use. I can't seem to find my other cheapo sharpener that actually does work...

I do plan on picking up an "entery level" chef's knife soon though, but my Lansky sharpener will have to do.

Looks like nice cabinet grade birch? for the base on your belt drive grinding rig.
Interesting variety of extensions for your table saw.
Maybe you could tell us more about the bench stones?
Are the King stones available in 12" length?
If so, would purchase of same require a home equity loan?
The pink / reddish-brown stone looks like it might be kinda soft?

Birch ply with a walnut border. That's a homemade strop. the flat wheel on the left for chisels and the V-strop for v-shaped carving tools and chisels. No, my chefs knife does not get the strop treatment. I'm not sure about the lengths available. The oak box is home made. The brownish King stones are 800, 1000 & 1200. The single stone is 6000. You can find them for about $25 ea. Oh, they aren't soft.

A 1000 grit is more than enough for kitchen knives. Factory edges are probobly done on a 7-800 grit stone.

Jeeks, I too find the table saw inteeresting, why the "double saw"?

The left one is for cross cuts/ripping using a combination blade, then there's a router table, the left saw has a 3/4" stacked dado installed. Less tool changes and provides a nice assembly table. All 3 machines use the Biesemeyer fence. Took a couple hours just to level and line everything up. Here's a couple more pics. There's an adjacent room where I keep my drill press and lumber, I might move my lathe in there too. You guys have shops?

img_698978_0_8742d391cd9b8b7741f2722f48d3a3a6.jpg

img_698978_1_aaac71f343ebd180aa3e17e7bba8ddab.jpg

img_698978_2_e9eddc8f4e78bb301d5a49ecd566facb.jpg

img_698978_3_306c07d9547c294ac8d3545fcbd53da6.jpg

img_698978_4_cdbaf16065d5d21fd11e57265ba87f93.jpg

Looks like you have lots of places to play and nice toys to play with!

You can find those sharpening stones for $25-$50. My kitchen knives get good/long lasting results just using a couple old Arkansas oil stones. (don't let the knife gurus see that though, lol)

sharpening paraphernalia?

Let's see...

The radial arm saw cuts a new bevel on the blade and the table saw is the first pass of sharpening. Then you go to the grinding wheel. Then you go out and buy new knives???

Jeeks,

I have all the things for a shop. Table saw, Radial arm, dill press, gas & electric welding, compreessor and too many hand power tools to name. I have a dedicated garage to put it in. What I desparately need is time to put it all together.

Last fall dw and I did a gut rehab of the basement to accommodate out of town company. Got done just as everyone arrived. Guess where the "jobsite" got offloaded to.

AC

Did you make that clock yourself ???

No. You can buy those. I think I saw a kit to make one before though.

Jeeks,

I have all the things for a shop. Table saw, Radial arm, dill press, gas & electric welding, compreessor and too many hand power tools to name. I have a dedicated garage to put it in. What I desparately need is time to put it all together.

Last fall dw and I did a gut rehab of the basement to accommodate out of town company. Got done just as everyone arrived. Guess where the "jobsite" got offloaded to.

AC

You should have seen it before. All I've been doing since we moved in the house has been construction. It's probobly been 2 years since I did anything down there NOT requiring a 2x4 and a level. I hoping this winter that will change. There's a few projects I desperately need to finish.

I hope you get yours together soon, that glass door cabinet is all plans and mags.

My kitchen knives get good/long lasting results just using a couple old Arkansas oil stones. (don't let the knife gurus see that though, lol)

Heck, all I have is a Smith tri-stone deal that I bought from Wal-Mart about 15 years ago. It's got one aluminum oxide stone and two Arkansas wetstones. My knives get darn good edges on those, although they're not as good as what you can get with an EdgePro. I used to have a composite "stone", two different grades, one on each side. It was like an extra-fine grade of emery on one side, and an ultra-fine grade of emery on the second. It really did a good job of polishing a blade.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom