"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 09-19-2008, 10:58 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

My Shun knife

hello everyone,

i just wanted to know what you think about this. I finally made it in a professional kitchen and for the about six months every time i would bring out my shun Chinese cleaver all the cooks and chef would give me s!@# about it. Me personally whatever knife that you finds best for you then by all means use it. Maybe its there egos or what they were taught. Also i just started culinary school and the first thing you learn of course is knife cuts. So the first day of class i bring out Mr badass cleaver and the teacher laughed at me and gave me this crappy chefs knife from the dollar store. Then he took the chefs knife back once he relised that my knife cuts were better than his lol.

also whats the best sharpener for a cleaver or period.

thank you and good day

chris

Old 09-19-2008, 11:41 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I think YT uses a cleaver like blade. To each his own, I guess.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:50 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I have what was called at the time a Chinese knife. It is shaped like a smallish (not that small) cleaver. I like it, but usually grab a cheapo chef's knife because I don't mind throwing that in the dishwasher. My Chinese knife I wash by hand and it's a lesson in caution not to cut yourself while doing so (lol). I bought it when I was going through my "wok phase"....
Old 09-19-2008, 11:53 AM   #4
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
We have a few knife experts here, I am not one of them. In principle, I agree with you. Use what works for you and you are comfortable with.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:57 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyitschris View Post
hello everyone,

i just wanted to know what you think about this. I finally made it in a professional kitchen and for the about six months every time i would bring out my shun Chinese cleaver all the cooks and chef would give me s!@# about it. Me personally whatever knife that you finds best for you then by all means use it. Maybe its there egos or what they were taught. Also i just started culinary school and the first thing you learn of course is knife cuts. So the first day of class i bring out Mr badass cleaver and the teacher laughed at me and gave me this crappy chefs knife from the dollar store. Then he took the chefs knife back once he relised that my knife cuts were better than his lol.

also whats the best sharpener for a cleaver or period.

thank you and good day

chris
Chinese cleavers, in your case more appropriately called a Japanese vegetable cleaver or Chuckabocho, is the most of all kitchen knives. In the , perhaps the only knife you need. Those that bad mouth your knife have never learned how to use one or more probably never even tried.

Sharpening your knife: Shuns come from the factory sharpened at 16 degrees per side. The VG-10 steel it's made of can be taken to 8 degrees per side for true razor sharpness if you're into free handing. If not, don't you dare use a Chef's Choice or similar electric because the 22 degree edge it produces will ruin that for which you paid so dearly. If you *must* use electricity, get the Shun sharpener which exactly matches the 16 degrees you already have.

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
buzzard767 is offline   Reply With Quote