"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 12-14-2007, 01:56 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Need a good electric knife.

My parents want one for Christmas. They wanted the B&D EK800, but they dont make it anymore, and I cant find it anywhere. Any suggestions on a good knife for under $30?

Old 12-14-2007, 02:15 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Welcome to DC, cs lewis.

Check out this recent thread on the same topic.

Old 12-14-2007, 02:27 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
Welcome to DC, cs lewism
Black and Decker has replaced the Slice Right EK800 with the Slice Right EK700K.
It retails for $25 and comes in a storage case. Attached in the e-link.
Cooks Illustrated evaluated electric knifes in 2005, B&D models were considered top choice, Hamilton Beack produced one model that required keeping your finger on the on button which was tiring and Cuisinart produced a great looking model but at $60.
Based on that, I'd say B&D is probably the best choice.
http://www.bdappliancestore.com/prod...ectric%20knife
Old 12-14-2007, 02:28 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

thanks. I still dont see a definitive answer there. What do you think? I'm thinking maybe the EK700K. Do you know what the difference is between that and the ek800?
Old 12-14-2007, 02:31 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

thanks guys.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:29 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs lewis View Post
thanks. I still dont see a definitive answer there. What do you think? I'm thinking maybe the EK700K. Do you know what the difference is between that and the ek800?
As Andy M. said ... there isn't much practical difference in electric knives in the under $30 price range. The major difference is how it feels in your hand ... and only you can decide that.

Now, it appears that the only difference between the B&D EK800 and the EK700 is that the EK700 doesn't have that little slicing guide that the EK800 did. The EK700K comes with a fork and a storage case. Depending on where you find them - the EK700 is generally $5-$10 cheaper than the EK700K.

If you can't find one anywhere else - check to see if you have an Ace Hardware store where you live ... they carry them.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:40 PM   #7
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
The EK700K comes with a fork and a storage case.
Is it an electric fork?

I have the Cuisinart CEK-40 Electric Knife, which I bought last January for $25.00 from Smart & Final because they over-purchased for Thanksgiving and had a ton of knives left over. I am completely happy with it's performance.

I just wish I had thought of buying a second one. It would have made a nice, inexpensive Christmas gift for my brother.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:46 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
cs lewis,
As Michale in FtW pointed, it is a matter of how the knife feels in your hand.
Cooks Illustrated selected B&D because you don't have to pull the trigger constantly to keep it running (an ergonomic concern), and pointed that Cuisinart is good at a hefty price. If the new B&D feels right or the Cuisinart is affordable, I don't see what could be wrong. As I stated before, seems B&D is the most sensible choice.
Note that I don't own an electric knife, therefore I can't comment based on my experience