Need a good electric knife.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cs lewis

Assistant Cook
My parents want one for Christmas. They wanted the B&D EK800, but they dont make it anymore, and I cant find it anywhere. Any suggestions on a good knife for under $30?

Welcome to DC, cs lewism
Black and Decker has replaced the Slice Right EK800 with the Slice Right EK700K.
It retails for $25 and comes in a storage case. Attached in the e-link.
Cooks Illustrated evaluated electric knifes in 2005, B&D models were considered top choice, Hamilton Beack produced one model that required keeping your finger on the on button which was tiring and Cuisinart produced a great looking model but at $60.
Based on that, I'd say B&D is probably the best choice.
http://www.bdappliancestore.com/product_detail.asp?T1=APP+EK700K&SKW=electric%20knife

thanks. I still dont see a definitive answer there. What do you think? I'm thinking maybe the EK700K. Do you know what the difference is between that and the ek800?

thanks. I still dont see a definitive answer there. What do you think? I'm thinking maybe the EK700K. Do you know what the difference is between that and the ek800?

As Andy M. said ... there isn't much practical difference in electric knives in the under $30 price range. The major difference is how it feels in your hand ... and only you can decide that.

Now, it appears that the only difference between the B&D EK800 and the EK700 is that the EK700 doesn't have that little slicing guide that the EK800 did. The EK700K comes with a fork and a storage case. Depending on where you find them - the EK700 is generally $5-$10 cheaper than the EK700K.

If you can't find one anywhere else - check to see if you have an Ace Hardware store where you live ... they carry them.

The EK700K comes with a fork and a storage case.
Is it an electric fork?

I have the Cuisinart CEK-40 Electric Knife, which I bought last January for $25.00 from Smart & Final because they over-purchased for Thanksgiving and had a ton of knives left over. I am completely happy with it's performance.

I just wish I had thought of buying a second one. It would have made a nice, inexpensive Christmas gift for my brother.

cs lewis,
As Michale in FtW pointed, it is a matter of how the knife feels in your hand.
Cooks Illustrated selected B&D because you don't have to pull the trigger constantly to keep it running (an ergonomic concern), and pointed that Cuisinart is good at a hefty price. If the new B&D feels right or the Cuisinart is affordable, I don't see what could be wrong. As I stated before, seems B&D is the most sensible choice.
Note that I don't own an electric knife, therefore I can't comment based on my experience

Back
Top Bottom