"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 01-15-2008, 11:55 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Need Help Selecting Knives

I am very new to knives, but have done a little research. I had decided on getting a few key knives instead of a block set as most of them I would never use. I have also decided on Henckel. I wanted to get a boning, chefs, carving, santuko, and parer knife. None of the sets offered this combination so thats How i decided to buy them separetly. These knives would be somewhere in the range of $300. so i had my mind made up and then i found a set made exclusively for williams sonoma that had these knives for $350.
This set includes:
  • <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">8" Chef's Knife <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">8" Bread Knife <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">8" Carving Knife <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">7" Santoku - Hollow Edge <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">6" Utility / Sandwich Knife <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">5 1/2" Boning Knife <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">5" Serrated / Utility Knife <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">3" Serrated Paring Knife <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">3" Paring Knife <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">Kitchen Shears <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">9" Sharpening Steel
  • Beechwood Storage Block with 18 slots
Someone please talk me out of this set.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:18 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
don't buy this set

Was that convincing?

send us a pic of it sitting on your counter!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:36 PM   #3
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I think you can do much better for your $350.00 at the Gunter Wilhelm site.

I had a block set of Henckles for about 3 years, but when I got my Gunter Wilhelms, I gave the Henckles to a close, personal lady friend who has never really been able to afford a good set of knives. Now, we're BOTH happy campers!
Old 01-15-2008, 05:50 PM   #4
Head Chef

Nice looking knives, Caine!

Lee
Old 01-15-2008, 09:40 PM   #5
Master Chef

I think somebody here, on this site has the set of them.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:25 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

lot of sarcasm. thanks alot. LOL
Old 01-16-2008, 10:49 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgzzz View Post
I am very new to knives, but have done a little research. I had decided on getting a few key knives instead of a block set as most of them I would never use. I have also decided on Henckel. I wanted to get a boning, chefs, carving, santuko, and parer knife. None of the sets offered this combination so thats How i decided to buy them separetly. These knives would be somewhere in the range of $300. so i had my mind made up and then i found a set made exclusively for williams sonoma that had these knives for $350.
This set includes:
  • <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">8" Chef's Knife <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">8" Bread Knife <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">8" Carving Knife <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">7" Santoku - Hollow Edge <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">6" Utility / Sandwich Knife <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">5 1/2" Boning Knife <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">5" Serrated / Utility Knife <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">3" Serrated Paring Knife <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">3" Paring Knife <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">Kitchen Shears <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">9" Sharpening Steel
Why not start out by just buying a 6" boning, 3" paring, and 10" chef's knife from a variety of makers (eg LamsonSharp, Dexter Russell, Wusthof)? That should cost you about $200. Based on your experience with these three knives you could decide wheher you want to buy more of the same make.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:04 AM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgzzz View Post
This set includes:
Not a bad selection. I'd ditch the steel, though- it'll do more harm than good. A ceramic steel is more effective and better for your knives. The DMT CS2 is a very good, fine grit steel that'll probably cheaper than the Wusthof one you're looking at. The look will be a bit different, though...I'm not sure how important matching appearance is to you.

You're going to be using them, so obviously pick knives you tend to use. But if you have a 5" serrated utility knife I'm not sure what you'll do with a 3" serrated paring knife. I'd probably replace that one with a tourne (bird's beak peeling knife) since I use one a lot peeling potatoes and veggies.

An 8" carving knife is a bit small for things like large turkeys and roasts but will probably be suffice. I have a 12" granton-edge, round-ended slicer that I really like. I have a few 8" carvers but they basically never leave the block.

Wusthof makes some pretty good knives, and I've used quite a few over the years. When it comes to German knives I'll admit that I prefer Messermeister to Wusthof or Henckles, although I have knives by all three. That said, mostly I use Japanese blades nowadays. Overall they're sharper and lighter, they cut better and stay sharp longer. You may well want to at least investigate the cheaper Japanese brands like Mac and a favorite of mine, Tojiro. My Tojiro's were as sharp as my Shuns out of the box and cost about 1/2 as much. I think they're very beautiful, too.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:07 AM   #9
Executive Chef

I actually prefer a steel from the manufacturer of my knives.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:35 AM   #10
Master Chef

IMO you really don't need a carving knife. A chef's knife carves excellently. Unless you are going to do a LOT of roasts.

The three essential knives, IMO, are an 8 inch chef's knife, a paring knife and a serrated bread knife. There isn't much you can't do with those three alone.