"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives
Old 09-25-2010, 01:32 AM   #11
Head Chef
Originally Posted by TLaude View Post
I'm looking for a 8" chef's knife and a 4" paring knife. I have always been fond of the Stainless look of knives. Can anyone toss some suggestions at me of knives that are completely stainless (handle and blade, yes)?

I've been doing some research, but would like to hear some opinions for you knowledgeable folks :)

You can go that route, but I think you'll regret it. Like marrying a girl you only liked for her looks, a lifetime lived with a decision made only on appearances may disappoint you. Steel handles feel cold to the touch and are generally slippery when they get even a bit damp. Most of the steel handled knives I've experienced aren't all that eronomically well designed. The Chromas are pretty but the handles are too spindly for long cutting sessions. The Globals offer a bit better grip with the dimples but still fall short of a good wood or Micarta handle, IMOHO.

If you simply must have all-stainless, I suggest you look into the Shun Steel line. They might be phasing them out, I don't know- a few dealers have been clearancing them lately. They're pretty good knives for what they are and mimic the feel of the Pakkawood handles of the Classic line.

If we're not supposed to eat animals, then how come they're made out of meat?
Rob Babcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 04:21 PM   #12
Assistant Cook
Thanks Rob.

How would you classify the Wustof line? I've read on here that they aren't exactly top of the line, but are pretty good knives.

TLaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:42 AM   #13
Head Chef
I'm probably the wrong guy to ask. I'm a well known J-knife snob, and I don't have a lot of use for Germans. There's really nothing wrong with them per se, but typically Wusthof/Henckels/Messermiester knives are much softer than Japanese knives and generally have much thicker edges (although the Messermeister Meridian Elite is ground at the same angle as a Shun). Consequently, you can't get 'em as sharp as a Japanese knife nor will they hold an edge as long. That said, they're a great compromise for your Joe-and-Jane-Sixpack types that aren't obsessive compulsive about knives. First off, Germans are a bit easier to sharpen and pretty forgiving of abuse vs a J-knife.

My opinion? Messermeister makes the best mass produced German knives. Wusthof and the top Henckels lines are also pretty decent. None are a waste of money but an inexpensive Japanese knife like a Tojiro DP will give you better pure cutting performance.
If we're not supposed to eat animals, then how come they're made out of meat?
Rob Babcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:23 PM   #14
Senior Cook
Agree with Rob about the steel handles looking better than they perform.

German knives also have a blade geometry designed to make them easier to use.
I like the F Dick premium ranges and Solicut as being up with Messermeister and above Wusthof and Henckels in my personal pecking order.

For pure cutting efficiency carbon steel leaves stainless for dead. Anytime you introduce chrome to a steel blend you increase the size of crystals which reduces edge efficiency.
jpaulg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:06 AM   #15
Assistant Cook
I've been through the gamut, and spent a fortune on knives. Now, my collection is skimpier and has no "standard" brand. My principal knives are a 10" Sab chef's, and a 4" Wusthof paring knife. I do 80% of my work with these two tools. I've got drawers full of Henkels, Wusthofs, Global, Kershaws, Sanellis, et al. If I had a brain in my head, I would have tried before I bought. But I just couldn't resist owning every expensive knife I saw. Mental illness. I have about 8 Santokus. Hate every one of them. Want one?

A knife is a personal thing. It has to fit, and do what you need it to do. Just because you like a Sab for a chef knife doesn't mean that same brand will do for a parer. It's a personal thing. Try them all and pick what fits, not what you want to fit.

I use vintage stainless knives, incidentally. I find most modern stainless to be too hard to get razor sharp, and I'm too lazy to be 100% reliable in taking special care of carbon steel. I ruined one very special Chicago Cutlery 12" vintage chef knife by not taking care of it one dark night, leaving it on the counter after being distracted and forgetting about it. Not good.
moltogordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:00 AM   #16
Master Chef
I agree that the feel of the knife is more important than is the brand. Of the Chef knives I've used, I still love my Chroma with the steel handle. And yes, I've used it for long hours of cutting chores, with wet and slippery hands. Because of the unique handle shape, I was better able to control the knife, using the pinch grip, than with the more traditionally shaped wooden handle of the same size Wusthoff Trident chef's knife. The traditional shape handle tended to slide around in my slippery hands, making it hard to use. And I too detest santoku knives. I rarely chop. I slice. And when I do have to chop, I do so with the Chef's knife. I also have three Chicago Cutlery knives with hollow ground blades. The utility knife of that set is the most useful. I have a couple of long fillet knives that handle most boning chores, and one no-name carbon steel butcher's knife inherited from my grandfather that slices meet like no other. My chef's knife cuts bread perfectly. So, like the others have said, try before you buy, if at all possible. Then you will find the knives that are right for you.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote