Nelson & Prince Knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

attie

Sous Chef
knives31.jpg
Has anybody heard of the above brand before? My son was walking past a knife shop and they had a 10" Butchers steak knife similar to the image and a Ham knife with the scallops in the blade, both in the special bin for $7 each. I thought they would be rubbish but when I checked them out they are V 15 high carbon no stain German steel, they are beautiful knives to use and hold their edge extremely well.
I have searched the net looking for them but have found nothing hence the question.

Actually, I like it so much that I stole it

Last edited:
Not a bad score for a 10 inch knife. I've not heard of V-15 named as such, but I imagine it's got to be at least similar to "X45CrMoV15/X50CrMoV15" or "1.4116". Not an uncommon steel among meat packers' knives, I imagine. At 0.5% carbon, it's tough enough for knockaround use, and if heat treated correctly, it could end up being a reasonable performer.

Is the edge scalloped or is it the sides of the blade?

[[ Is the edge scalloped or is it the sides of the blade?]]

The sides of the blade
DrThunder88 but I don't know the correct term, I think these might have been run out stock but I would like to know the true value of them.

[[ Is the edge scalloped or is it the sides of the blade?]]

The sides of the blade DrThunder88 but I don't know the correct term, I think these might have been run out stock but I would like to know the true value of them.

The little scalloped thingies are called grantons or kullens, both correct terminology. They're supposed to provide less friction and to prevent food from sticking to the blade. Both "functions" are iffy at best. I don't see any improvement and neither do 90% of other posters I've seen on this subject.

I agree with Buzz on the grantons. I can't imagine it hurts anything, but I too am dubious of their efficacy. Unfortunately, proving it one way or another is likely to be an expensive endeavor.

I have seen the kullens work extremely well, but only when they cover the entire blade. They are useless (in my opinion) if they are just on the edge.

Back
Top Bottom