New Hattori

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrankZ

Site Team
Staff member
I am so excited. I got a Hattori HD-8 for Christmas!! (Thank you Kathleen).

We aren't home so trying it out is going to have to wait, though I did get the chance to work some evil on a really soft tomato tonight.

In my limited chance to play I think the knife felt wonderful in my hand, and was just a tad sharp. :LOL: Ok.. it was very sharp.

Can't wait to get back to the kitchen so I can see what this baby will do.

Oh.. and she looks better in person.

I am trying to come up with what I might want to cook for dinner tonight, of course something I can do some slicing with. :)

Outside of disposable razor blades this is the sharpest piece of metal I have wielded. Kinda scary and exciting all rolled into one big bundle of fun.

So I had a chance to actually try out the Hattori tonight.

I am making some beef stock and have some chuck I needed to get ready for the grinder. Oh my but did it run right through the meat. After the chuck I cut up some tomatoes for sandwiches. If this thing we any sharper I might start worrying about ruining the cutting boards. :)

I can see how some people are addicted to these.

Not as much as I would have thought, but I did get to use it.

One can destroy some onions right quick. :)

Now that I have more time with this knife in hand I thought I would mention some observations (in no particular organized way).

Up until now I have been using a Henckle 8" chefs knife. The Hattori, at times, feels a little awkward though it isn't really much of an issue. I think that will abate as I use it more and get used to the size. The blade is not only longer but wider. Being about half as thick it seems to glide through food better, the Henckle seems to be more brutish once it buries itself.

Having the longer blade has been nice on occasion as well, fewer strokes feels more efficient. When I was slicing up the chuck roast prior to grinding it was nice on the long strips.

Rob had mentioned some people don't like the lack of a bolster. It doesn't seem to make much difference to me. I don't have this knife in my hands 8 hours a day nor do I use it professionally so that might account for my neutral look at that. I will say that not having a bolster that back corner of the blade is like a second tip, and I have caught myself a couple times on it, thankfully I haven't cut myself there yet. It does remind me I need to pay more attention to what I am doing. Not having the bolster is almost like not having a safeguard in place.

Have I mentioned this thing is really really sharp? :)

When I am dicing up or making thin slices I sometimes use the knife to pick the food up off the cutting board. With the Hattori I have made a practice of using the knife spine first instead of blade first to do this. I don't want that edge moving towards my fingers.

The Hattori weighs slightly more than the Henckle but it is better balanced so it actually feels more nimble and less tiring to use.

All in all this knife is really a joy to use. I am loving it. Of course this might be the first step in a J-knife addiction... oh goodness, what have I gotten in to? :LOL:

i looked at the pictures of it on line, awesome looking knife. Enjoy it. I've been wanting to get some , but kids school some how takes a priority, gosh.

i looked at the pictures of it on line, awesome looking knife. Enjoy it. I've been wanting to get some , but kids school some how takes a priority, gosh.

I suppose I could have mentioned it is also drop dead gorgeous as well.

Charlie where there is a will there is a way... keep the hope alive. :)

At this point I am eyeballing the boning knife, the petty.... ummm.. did I mention addiction?

I do have one of his knives and it is real pleasure to use it. Some day, I'll dig my self out of this hole and get me few more. Do you know where it came from? Could you reviele the sourse, in PM maybe.

I suppose I could have mentioned it is also drop dead gorgeous as well.

Charlie where there is a will there is a way... keep the hope alive. :)

At this point I am eyeballing the boning knife, the petty.... ummm.. did I mention addiction?

Sometimes you worry me, son.;)

Last month I got the Edgepro Apex with the Chosera stones. They were back ordered on the 10k stone and that arrived yesterday. Because of the way things worked out last night I did not have a chance to try it out.

I sharpened the Hattori this morning working from the 1k, 3k, then 5k stones. I was anxious to get to the 10k but I wanted to be sure I was working on a good base. I worked the 10k and then tested in numerous ways to see how sharp the knife got. Crikey... this thing is sharp.

Paper? The lightest touch shreds it. Hair? It runs in front of the edge.

Tomato? Heh.. I could skin one with some patience. :)

This knife really is a joy to work with.

Make sure you wash it thoroughly before using it. I recommend tossing it into the dishwasher on the heavy duty cycle. :ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom