"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 03-04-2008, 06:16 AM   #1
Senior Cook

New Knife Block!

I got tired of my knives sitting in their blade guards in a silicone baking pan, so I decided to get a knife block. My collection of knives is rather eclectic, so finding one with the right slot configuration and I worried about those Koosh blocks messing with my fine edges. Then I thought, "why not make my own?"

It's nothing special. I used red oak 3/4x6" board for the main layers and base. The spacers are 1/8" and 1/4" thick black walnut strips fastened with urethane glue. I died the oak with TransTints and finished it with BLO to match the cabinets. I also embedded some 1/2" diameter magnets into the blade cutouts to keep the knives in place in the event of me knocking the thing over. Though effective as a keeper for the shorter knives, I came to regret it for the others.

Considering how horribly I screw up most industrial arts-related projects, I'm fairly impressed with the results. Most 6th graders could probably produce the same in a shorter amount of time, of course...

Old 03-04-2008, 06:24 AM   #2
Senior Cook

Looks good to me, better then I could do.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:24 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm impressed. It makes me wonder why I don't see knife blocks made so the blades sit on their sides, like yours.
Very nice!
Old 03-04-2008, 12:57 PM   #4
Head Chef

Very nice work, DrT! Better than I could do with my woodworking skills!

pacanis, pretty much all better, higher-end blocks are oriented so the knives are "sideways." At least the ones I've seen.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:04 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Couldn't you just put your knives cutting edge up into a knife block with vertical slots
Old 03-04-2008, 01:17 PM   #6
Sous Chef

That looks awesome! I have a "Koosh" and I like it. It's machine washable, which is nice. Only problem is it's not long enough for me to shove some of the longer blades in the whole way so some blade peeks out.

I might try to go homemade, now that you've inspired us! Thanks for sharing. Very clever.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:24 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Couldn't you just put your knives cutting edge up into a knife block with vertical slots
You could do that, but in a lot of blocks I've seen the angle is such that the the edge of the blade towards the end touches the top edge of the slot.

Of course, many people also find having all the handles upside down to not be aesthetically pleasing, either.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:28 PM   #8
Head Chef

Is that a Tennesse Big Stick ceramic, DrThunder88? I have 3 that look just like that, except that mine suck. I got 'em on a real "fire sale" @ Smokey Mountain Knifeworks and they seem to factory seconds or something. I imagine they're normally nice sticks, I just got some bad ones. But mine were $.99 each with free shipping, so I was only out three dollars! Guess I shouldn't complain.

I have two nice ceramic hones, one that I got from Edge Pro Inc and one DMT CS2. I like both very well but I think the next thing I get will be the glass hone by HandAmerica (from Japanese Sharpening).
Old 03-04-2008, 02:22 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Well I guess we now know that I don't have high end knives.... Well, I have a pretty good Chinese knife, but don't use it much.

I didn't know that, Rob, thanks.
Some day I really have to get rid of all these cheap knives I seem to collect and get four or five good ones. One of my 3 sets that I'm working with (not counting all the miscellaneous ones in the drawers, are one of those Ronco Showtime jobs where you buy the one knife and get about eighty free
I'm even using those free knives I just got with an Omaha Steak order. I swear I'm going to throw them all out as soon as they get dull.... well, more dull... honest
Old 03-04-2008, 03:08 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
That's exactly what we do, Andy.