New Knife =) Recommended!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Though I know much about knives, their shapes, the diverent bevels, or convex edge shapes, and a something about what the different knife styles are used for, I don't know as much as you guys. I'd like your opinion of the Porsche designed, Japanese made - Chroma Cutlery. I have a ten inch chef's knife by them, and my son has the santoku. We both love the way they feel and perform for us. But I'd be interested to see how they stack up at about $100 a pop compared to the high-end stuff your talking about. The reviews are good, but obviously, the company won't print bad reviews about their product.

Let me know what you think. And, one more question; the documetation that comes with the knife says that using a steel will ruin the knife edge on these tools. I've been using my knife daily for about 3 years now, touching up the edge with a steel before every use. It's still very sharp. I haven't had to take a stone to it yet. And I'm cutting on a hard-rock maple cutting board and going through everything from frozen beef, to acorn squash, to rutabeggas. I also use the same knife to slice scallops paper thin, and tomatoes as well. So how is using a steel ruining my knife edge?

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

...Higher end cutlery like Shun and the Hattori HD line right on up to a custom Carter or Hattori KD will always be a niche market. But you have to bear in mind that we Americans love our little luxuries. Be it 1,000 thread-count sheets or $25 shampoos, people seem like to use higher end products to fluff their egos. Maybe keeping up the with Jones will require a BMW in the garage and set of Glestain knives in the kitchen.

You're right about status seekers. They will often seek out botique items for the cache they provide. Does it matter to you if these folks buy the Hattori, Shun and Carter knives and display them in their designer kitchens and never use them?

If enough folks seek out these products, rather than the prices' dropping, they will go up because of the new demand.

I'd like your opinion of the Porsche designed, Japanese made - Chroma Cutlery.

And, one more question; the documetation that comes with the knife says that using a steel will ruin the knife edge on these tools. So how is using a steel ruining my knife edge?

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I haven't had the opportunity to get one in hand but the unusual handle design certainly is an attention getter. It would be fun to play around with one. The edge of 301 stainless is okay. It won't hold up like VG-10 but should last quite a while in a home kitchen.

Steeling will not ruin the edge but will give it a new edge. In other words, it's the factory edge that will be ruined. Under magnification there is quite a difference between the smooth original edge and the jagged edge resulting from a gooved steel. It still works but is different because it is "toothy".

You're right about status seekers. They will often seek out botique items for the cache they provide. Does it matter to you if these folks buy the Hattori, Shun and Carter knives and display them in their designer kitchens and never use them?

It's hard to believe that one of these knives would be purchased with the knowledge that it was not going to be used. It could be displayed on a MagBlok but if the victim happens to notice it and knows little to nothing about knives it would be wasted effort, just one more oddity in the designer kitchen. However, if the knife is used (read waggled) in front of guests and one states "My that knife looks different..." the bragging door will have been opened.

If enough folks seek out these products, rather than the prices' dropping, they will go up because of the new demand.

Perhaps initially, but as demand heats up more manufacturers will enter the market and the competition should hold prices in check.

I haven't had the opportunity to get one in hand but the unusual handle design certainly is an attention getter. It would be fun to play around with one. The edge of 301 stainless is okay. It won't hold up like VG-10 but should last quite a while in a home kitchen.

Steeling will not ruin the edge but will give it a new edge. In other words, it's the factory edge that will be ruined. Under magnification there is quite a difference between the smooth original edge and the jagged edge resulting from a gooved steel. It still works but is different because it is "toothy".

Thanks.:)

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Well i decided to go for the minosharp at £23, and its done a pretty god job. The smaller weels are'nt too harsh on the blade and it has brought both knives up very well - as sharp as new id say, so they are much more usable now, thank god!

Im happy again now, though i probably still wouldnt buy another io shen knife. They serve me well when sharp, and i do find them comfortable, so ill keep them for now - i imagine for some time as i dont see them dying any time soon.... I guess it was just unrealistic to think the knives would stay sharp after months of heavy use using only a hone.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom