"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 02-24-2008, 06:53 PM   #71
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
A Cambodian lady who I am shamelessy exploiting as a teacher as she is the best asian cook I have ever known, found one of my knives too dull for her taste, grabbed the mortar from my stone mortar and pestle, added some olive oil, and used it for a sharpener. It is about as sharp as I can make them with a couple of hundred dollars worth of stones and steels. Her explanation, that is the way she was taught to do it.

I'll bet the swarf adds zip to her next batch of pesto. That's a good way to sneak some iron into your diet.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:58 PM   #72
Head Chef

Nope, I get to be the guy who washes it, and I had better do it to her satisfaction. Remember, she now has a sharp knife. Never complain to a cook with a cleaver.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:10 AM   #73
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post
That would be slick. If RR promoted them, I might have to swallow my pride, blind myself to the undoubtedly gaudy colors, and try one.
Gaudy colors? You mean like this: I don't remember if I posted this knife in this forum or not. It's a Hiromoto 240 AS I had rehandled in micarta for my daughter this past Christmas. Click on the pic for a better view of the micarta.
We were talking about Rachel Ray promoting them, right?

You could carry those into the woods to keep hunters from mistaking you for a deer!
Old 03-07-2008, 12:22 PM   #74
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post
We were talking about Rachel Ray promoting them, right?

You could carry those into the woods to keep hunters from mistaking you for a deer!
Better yet, leave the pots at home, but bring Ray Ray with you blindfolded and wearing antlers. I think the world would be a better place.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:26 PM   #75
Sous Chef

Stop picking on Ray Ray.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rr3.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	3566  

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
buzzard767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:45 AM   #76
Assistant Cook

Someday the Chinese may mass produce a good knife... but it will take a while to find out if it's a reliable product. Or if it's mixed with lead. It would be interesting if their was a resurgance of traditional Chinese steel working. The Chinese sword as compared to the Japanese was much softer but still had excellent tensile strength. I wonder if that tradition and technology was lost...
Old 03-24-2008, 10:30 AM   #77
Assistant Cook

LOL! Snapcrotches..
iswhaticrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:02 AM   #78
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by iswhaticrave View Post
LOL! Snapcrotches..
Ray Ray endorses all kinds of things....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rr4.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	3650  

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
buzzard767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:19 PM   #79
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Your statement assumes I am not happy with my current knives. I have Henkels Pro S and keep them sharp. They are comfortable in my hand and do everything I can do with my limited knife skills. A "better" knife" won't make me a better chef any more than a better pan would. Different strokes...
You're right about the better knive/chef statement. The right knife is a very personal decision and when you find that one, it will allow you to do better work while standing for 8 to 10 hours.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:06 PM   #80
Assistant Cook

Anyway... back to topic lol

Ok...... i have seen the light. These knives are shall we say... not very good - as you may have already guessed!

A first they seem great - they were undoubtably very very sharp, but since further use i am not impressed.

Like many of you, i am not happy with their OTT marketting stratergies. I am not impressed by the fact they are marketed in such a manor to indicate that they are japanese, when they are infact made in china, using steel imported from japan. Neither am i impressed by the fact they cannot tell me what steel they use. Even more annoying is the fact they try and make out the handle design is an integral part of the knife balancing system, when the knives are infact very badly balanced - MUCH heavier over the handle than the rest of the knife, so i presume their spout is bullsh!t...

A friend of mine at college brought in the filleting knife for me to look at, and i was shocked at how little flex it had - it barely flexed whatsoever, and would have made a truly awful filleting knife.

My 2 knives now seem to have lost their edge, despit being only a couple of months old... i take excellent care of my knives - honing them after every work out, so its not my lack of care resulting in this!

Just thought id air my opinions - ery dissapointed, so i wont be buying anymore!! Will