"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 05-13-2009, 01:52 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
What's your point relative to GB's post?
The point is; if a person has solid knife skills, including a pinch grip, the ill conceived and worn expression "feels good in the hand" becomes meaningless. Knives are about cutting ability and the right knife for the job. Knives are about steel, geometry, and the proper edge for the purpose. Does anyone purchase an automobile because they like the door handles?

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
buzzard767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:58 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
The point is; if a person has solid knife skills, including a pinch grip, the ill conceived and worn expression "feels good in the hand" becomes meaningless. Knives are about cutting ability and the right knife for the job. Knives are about steel, geometry, and the proper edge for the purpose. Does anyone purchase an automobile because they like the door handles?

Your opening statement invalidates your point. Most people don't have solid knife skills.

Your car analogy aside, would you wear top quality boots that are three sizes too small over a lower quality boot that fits comfortably on your feet?

Old 05-13-2009, 01:59 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:

Your opening statement invalidates your point. Most people don't have solid knife skills.

Your car analogy aside, would you wear top quality boots that are three sizes too small over a lower quality boot that fits comfortably on your feet?

If a tool isn't comfortable to use, you will tend to not use it. Especially if you have a comfortable version of the same tool on hand.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:07 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Using a pinch grip negates 90% of handle size concerns. Using a pinch grip yields better control of the blade, thus, cleaner, more precise cuts, and a lot less chance of injuring yourself. I consider these very important.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:16 PM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Using a pinch grip negates 90% of handle size concerns. Using a pinch grip yields better control of the blade, thus, cleaner, more precise cuts, and a lot less chance of injuring yourself. I consider these very important.
While this may be true, it does not mean that it is also not important for a knife to fit someones hand properly who does not use the pinch grip.

The pinch grip, while it is used by most professionals, is not the only correct way to hold a knife. And even if it were, that does not mean that is how everyone will hold it. The vast majority of people who use kitchen knives do not use a pinch grip therefore it is of the utmost importance that their knives fit well in their hands. it really does not matter if what they are doing is right or wrong. They are doing it nonetheless.

To your question of if anyone purchases a car because of the door handles, the answer is yes. It may not be how you would shop for a car and it certainly is not how I would shop for a car, but there are people who would and do shop like that. And that does not make what they are doing any less valid than what you or I would do.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:30 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Knives are about cutting ability and the right knife for the job. Knives are about steel, geometry, and the proper edge for the purpose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
it really does not matter if what they are doing is right or wrong. They are doing it nonetheless.
What?

Quote:
but there are people who would and do shop like that. And that does not make what they are doing any less valid than what you or I would do.
Really.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:34 PM   #17
Chief Eating Officer

It seems like you view things as either your way or wrong. That is not the case though. Just because someone does not choose to do things the buzz way does not mean that it is any less valid. This conversation started because you did not understand why anyone would need the knife to fit their hand because if they used the pinch grip it would not matter. But not everyone does use the pinch grip so it does matter to those people. And those people are not wrong from not using the pinch grip.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:55 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Quote:
It seems like you view things as either your way or wrong.
In this case I view my way as a better way and I'm quite sure you know I am correct. What is this forum about, to learn and prosper or to concede to the unskilled majority?
Old 05-13-2009, 02:58 PM   #19
Chief Eating Officer

Sorry, but just because you view it as a better way does not mean it is better for everyone. It may be better for you, but that does not automatically mean it is better for the next person.

In any event, we have strayed way too far from the OP's question which has nothing to do with what grip to use so I would like to suggest that we get back on track.

Sunbubbles, do you like the knives you have now other than needing them to be sharpened? Why not sharpen them up and keep using them? If you are no longer happy with them then I would go with Andy's suggestion and buy one or two knives instead of getting a set where you probably won't use many of the knives.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:55 PM   #20
Head Chef

I'd be pretty surprised is a culinary arts student is being taught to use the pinch grip, fwiw! Even so, I use a knife with a pinch grip yet I still do care about the handles.