"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 05-27-2005, 12:44 PM   #1
Head Chef

Thumbs up New Wustoff Knives

I broke down and bought a couple of Wustoff knives last evening. It was my last class session for the course I was taking (Classic Techniques: Essentials) and we got a 10% discount while we were taking the class, I decided to fill a couple of gaps in my knife set. I bought a 6” chef and a 5” boning knife in the Classic series. They feel really good in my hands, and that’s what counts.I’ll give them a good test tomorrow, having most of my family over and cooking for 8.

It really drives home the importance a chef places on his knives, when most of the class came over to see what I had and talk knives for a while. One of the next classes I’m planning on taking is “Knife Skills”, and it’s the only piece of kitchen/cooking equipment that has a special class devoted exclusively to it.

Old 05-27-2005, 12:59 PM   #2

Wusthof classic knives are good knives. I have a small set myself. Have fun in your knife skills class.

Old 05-28-2005, 12:20 AM   #3
Master Chef

Those are some good knives. I think you'll love them!
Old 05-28-2005, 10:30 AM   #4
Executive Chef

I believe I have the small Wustaff boning knife. I love mine. It's razor-sharp, and I keep it that way. I like the quality build.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:24 PM   #5
Head Chef

This morning I halved 2 chickens to marinate, removing the backbone and breastbone, and chopped garlic for the marinade. Then, after finely dicing 8 shallots, half to caramelize for the vinaigrette dressing and half to crystallize for a garnish, peeling and segmenting 4 oranges, also for the salad and dressing, I'm in love with these knives.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:28 AM   #6
Senior Cook

HI, I'm in Colorado too - you can often get really good discount prices on Wusthoff knives if you regularly look in stores such as Ross, Marshalls, and Tuesday Morning. They often have overstock & discontinued lines on really great cookware, pans etc., too. Worth popping in and checking out any time you are near a store...

Best wishes, Paint.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:27 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to SpiceUmUp
I have several Wustoff knives and like them all. I have learned one inescapable rule: KEEP THEM SHARP. No knife is worth a good gol' darned if it is let to go dull. I sharpen my knives at home with a whet stone and oil. I keep them edge keen with a diamond steel. and every few months I take them for a professional sharpening.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:49 AM   #8
Master Chef

Well, i too picked up couple of knives, sushi knives that is here is the site: http://www.nipponkitchen.com/acatalog/index.html

I got the Narihira 24cm yanagiba , the other one I got, i already do not like so no reason to post about.