Next knife purchase?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rob Babcock

Head Chef
Okay, somebody- talk me out of buying one of these Hattori FH "Forum Knives": the 240 mm Gyuto. I've been drooling over 'em for awhile, and now JCK has them all discounted for KnifeForum.com members thru the end of Feb.

Any good reasons?:ROFLMAO:

I'd really like the 240mm Western Deba which is due any time, but even with the discount it'll be about $275. I can't afford both right now and as much as I'd like the latter, the former would get a lot more use.

I can't think of a reason. If it were me, that's what my tax refund would probably end up looking like.

And if you decide you have too many knives, it would make a great gift for your favorite DrThun...I mean, fellow DC forumite.

I'm no help either because I say buy it! It's on my wish list but I'm still trying to talk myself out of it and that a Misono Molyb will be good enough.

Only downside is that I've already got a 10" Shun Classic and a 9.25"/240mm Tojiro. So this one would be the third gyuto of nearly the same size.

I think I'm gonna buy it anyway, though!:-p

Any ideas on a good boning knife????? To me, if it is something you would make good use of, it is worth the $$$$.

Well, I just placed my order- thanks to all you enablers!:ROFLMAO: I don't know how long it will take take to get it, but at least I slid under the wire and saved about $50 off the list price. I know that the FH-7 is in short supply, so I won't be shocked if it's backorded, but at least I locked in my price!;)

Any ideas on a good boning knife????? To me, if it is something you would make good use of, it is worth the $$$$.

What type of boning knife? Do you mean a Japanese boning knife, aka a Honesuki? Or just a general Western boning knife? I'll say right off the bat that I'm not a big fan of the honesuki pattern. Perhaps it's ideal for the purpose it was designed for (boning chicken iirc) but I just don't like the feel.

I actually just got a new boning knife a few days ago. It's a Forschner Fibrox 6" curved semi-stiff model. It was about $15 and is sharp enough to treetop hair. I'm impressed with the Fibrox line and keep a couple in my work knife roll. The Fibrox line is a great value; good design, comfortable handles and very good steel. It can be sharpended to pretty acute angles and retain the edge very well. In fact, I've taken my 12" granton-edged Fibrox slicing knife down to 15 degrees per side and it holds the edge well. They make a wide variety of styles and patterns, and if you want something fancier than the basic black handles, the Rosewood line is basically the same thing but with fancy Rosewood handles.

Sattie you asked my question!
I've been in the market for a new boning knife for a while now and haven't found anything worth while in my local department stores.
Thanks for the info Rob, I'll do a search on Forschner.

Here is the one I bought. And that's the place I bought it- Cutlery and More. I've had great luck with them, and I've bought quite a bit of stuff from 'em.

BTW, I'm pretty fortunate to have a very good kitchen supply store in my town (and they have a web store, too). They carry a good array of knives, including Forschner Fibrox and Shun, but at the moment they have almost nothing in stock! They had a big sale on the Fibrox knives and are down to maybe 2 different ones left. And they only have 2 Shun knives in stock (I have more than they do!) but hopefully they'll get new stock in soon.

Even with a good local store I still buy a lot online. I get what I can locally but few B&M stores stock a lot of stuff. CutleryAndMore.com has a huge amount of stuff in stock and they ship free for orders over $59. I highly recommend both stores!:)

Cool- I just got an email that it's in stock and shipping!:cool: Supposedly I'll have it within a week. If so, I'll definately post my impression along with some pics.:)

My new Hattori showed up today!:clap: Pretty fast shipping. The knife itself is gorgeous, wonderful finish and beautiful lines. And it cuts like a lightsaber as you'd expect from a Hattori. It's definately a different look than the HD line, and I'll admit I prefer the looks of their Damascus, but the handle of the FH is terrific.

I'll post some more when I have a chance to use it a bit.:cool:

A couple of pictures:

hattori1di0.jpg

hattori2ta6.jpg

Not the best photography but you get the idea.:LOL:

Sweet! The handle looks comfortable, maybe even for my smaller hands. I agree the Damascus look is beautiful but I rather have performance over looks. Boo, now I really want one. That and the Apex Edge Pro Sharpener.

You know, I've often thought of buying a used EdgePro Apex...

Excellent addition! Perfect for seeking out that which is too long and shortening it.

Thanks, DrT88. My pictures came out a bit too dark, should've used a different setting on my camera (I hadn't used it in awhile, forgot which ones work best).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom