"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives
Old 08-22-2006, 02:35 PM   #31
Assistant Cook
Thanks Tony I was wondering about that.

There is a small shop I know of in town here that may have it. Thanks for the heads up Dan.

And thanks to everyone for this info, I've wanted a better edge on my Henkle's for a while now, but I wanted to do it myself. I've been using the $20 Henkle hand held sharpener and it seems to be wrecking the edges vs. sharpening them. They do seem fairly straight forward, but maybe I'm not using them right? No matter as I'll get myself a nice set and try and do it properly.

Crestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 02:50 PM   #32
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Originally Posted by Half Baked
My Henckels arrived so sharp that I was surprised it didn't cut through the packaging.

I use my knife everyday but only for dinners, mainly. How often should a home cook have their knives sharpened? The edge is so gradually worn that I don't barely notice a difference.
My "knife guy" recommends home cooks having their knives professionally sharpened once a year.

I don't personally recommend any of the "sharpener" tools out there, because I have seen the way they chew up most fine knives, and I won't suggest you run that risk, until I find "the one" that really works.

Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 03:07 PM   #33
Certified Pretend Chef
No offense, but your knife guy being a professional, that cannot come as a surprise.

I have had two different set of knives sharpened 'professionally' (that is, I paid for the service) several times at different places including a high end cutlery shop, a kitchen store and an independent. They all left me dissatisfied, if not absolutely furious.

I use the Lansky System to sharpen my knives and, frankly, if that means I have to replace them sooner, that's the price I pay for sharp knives.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote