Not impressed with the edge on my new knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ohsmily

Assistant Cook
I received a few Henckels Twin Cuisine knives in the mail today. I have handled them many times before; love the fit, finish, feel, handling, and look of them. Everything about them seems great, except...

I figured they would come from the factory with a GREAT, wicked-sharp edge...but no, it was pretty mediocre. Don't get me wrong, there were no nicks, scratches or irregular edges, but they weren't particularly sharp. The edge of the thinner Santoku blade was better than the Chefs knife and straight edged utility knife, but it still wasn't amazing.

The good news is, since it is good steel, I can sharpen it, or have it sharpened if I am too chicken to try and do it myself (since they are more expensive than what I am used to). When I sharpen them, I am going to put a steeper angle on it.

Anyone else have similar complaints about the edge on new knives?

Bottom line, I love the knives, but was surprised at the unremarkable factory edge.

That surprises me as well. The edge thatcame pn my Professional S knives was quite sharp and held for a long time.

My Henckels arrived so sharp that I was surprised it didn't cut through the packaging.

I use my knife everyday but only for dinners, mainly. How often should a home cook have their knives sharpened? The edge is so gradually worn that I don't barely notice a difference.

Hmm.... While I'm not a Henckels fan, knives coming semi-sharp isn't that big a deal. FYI, most high-end japanese knives come in a semi-sharp condition. The buyer is expected to put the final edge on the knife. Besides, anyone with a little skill can put a better edge on the knife than the factory---I believe Henckels is still using a 20 degree edge on their knives.

Tony_AAA said:
knives coming semi-sharp isn't that big a deal. Besides, anyone with a little skill can put a better edge on the knife than the factory
The problem is the vasy majority do not have that skill.

I have recommended this sharpener to many people [non-pros] and haven't heard a complaint yet. "Most" pros poo-poo the idea, but I guarantee they wouldn't be unhappy with the edges on my knives, both the cheap ones and the expensive ones. It is called an Edgemaker sharpener. I don't know what the policy is about recommending a product on the open forum, but if you want to PM me, I will tell you how to get them. I believe they are still about $13.

GB, i got my henckells cermax sharpened at a gourmet food store, allegedly professionally, it was 75 cents an inch charge..let me ask you, they probably ran it through a machine right? do you think that is a less than optimum sharpening job? should i take it to a pro guy? What is that service called or where am i most likely to find some highly skilled craftsman to professionally handsharpen my knife?

how much can i expect to pay?

Awright, you can get them at www.edgemaker.com [isn't that clever?]. There different colors for different things. There is a blue handled one that is for knives with virtually NO edge; then there is an orange one that has two sections to it, one side is coarser and the other one is finer..if your knife already has an edge, just not a good one, you use the coarse side and then the finer side. The third color is yellow, this one if for those knives you want a very fine edge on like a fillet knife. They resemble small steels, and do an excellent job.

MLB, let me ask you this. What did you think of the edge once he was done?

Pros can sharpen a knife on a machine (as opposed to a stone) and do a great job without ruining your knife.

For home use, I do not like the electric sharpeners. They take off way too much metal and they also make the knife look bad. They do get a good edge on the blade, but at a price.

If you are confident or willing to learn then a stone is a great way to go.

If you are nervous of messing up (like me) then there are a number of sharpening systems out there that adjust the angle for you so that you won't screw it up.

You can try looking in the yellow pages to find a pro if you want or better yet, ask some people at one of your favorite restaurants if there is someone they use.

Yeah GB i am paranoid i dont want to screw up a 170 dollar knife.

The edge is good, but i KNOW the edge can be alot better.

This is the system I use and I love it. I am paranoid of messing up as well so this takes the guesswork out of it for me.

Bangbang said:
It gives my knives a great blade.
Your knife already has a great blade. It is just that it has folded over a bit with use. The steel will correct that, but it doesn't actually sharpen it.

ohsmily....you could give the knives to my uncle to sharpen!! he has a huge knife collection and a knife sharpener that he brought with him when he came to visit!! he sharpened all of our knives lol!!!!:LOL:

I have that one too Andy and it is a great system. I switched to the Crock Stick though because it is a bit easier and quicker to use. Your system can sharpen serrated knives though and my Crock Stick can not.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom